Sunday, April 8, 2018

HELD TOGETHER BY WILLPOWER



I’ve been running into a rash of people calling me “gifted” these past few days and it’s been making me chuckle.  I apparently have those super special genetic gifts that simply require 18 years of continuous training to unlock.  And when I rebut with this, they STILL maintain that I’m gifted, but now it’s different; it’s because I’ve been able to train for 18 years that I’m gifted compared to the average person.  Specifically, they point out how gifted I must be to have been able to train for 18 years without any serious injury that prevented my training.  At this point, I can no longer continue the dialogue, because I have inevitably collapsed a lung from laughing too hard, which ironically enough contributes to my growing list of injuries.  There is this myth that success training is injury free training, and that the way to the top is to never stop because of an injury.  It’s not that you never stop from injury; it’s that you never let an injury LET you stop.  No matter what breaks, you just keep on pushing through, because you are held together by something stronger than muscle, bone, tendon or sinew; you are held together by willpower.


Related image
I suppose hate is a good second choice


Yes, it’s true, and it can be done.  The secret is: it sucks!  And that’s why no one does it.  But it’s completely FREE for the taking.  It’s all up to you, and it’s a choice YOU get to make.  Isn’t freedom awesome?  When you get hurt, YOU get to choose if you are done or not.  YOU get to choose if you will heal or not.  YOU get to choose how the recovery will be.  People tend to choose the easy way BECAUSE it’s easy, yeah, but should you decide to take the hard way and be held together by your willpower alone, you will grow greater and stronger than ever.  THIS is the secret to those “gifts”; it’s the gift of accepting accountability for your fate.

Yeah, that above paragraph is a little cosmic, so let me wind it back a bit to reality.  Here’s the first thing: most people don’t even know the difference between pain and injury.  They consider them to be the same thing.  Look, I get it: people don’t like pain.  Hell, I’m mostly a person and I don’t like pain, primarily because I’m not a masochist.  Humans, in turn, are instinctively conditioned to avoid pain when possible.  But that’s the great thing about being a human: you are not a slave to your instincts.  Quite the opposite: you have WILLPOWER, and in turn you can override your instincts.  Your mind tells you to take your hand off the candle flame because it’s hot and will burn you, but ask Gordon Liddy about that.  The trick is not minding.  Knowing this, the pain vs injury thing becomes a little more clear, because pain is something you CAN work through, which in turn makes it NOT an injury.  This is why, when people ask me a question about training through injuries and then they bring up something like tendinitis I look at them like a dog looking at a wristwatch.  That’s not an injury.

Image result for tis but a scratch
See this guy gets it

So what is an injury?  And injury implies dysfunction.  It means that even with all your willpower, you cannot make your body work the way it normally does.  You can’t just pain tolerance your way through it.  When a bone breaks, you are injured: unless you are Wolverine, you’re not going to will it back together quickly.  Same with ligament ruptures, muscle tears, tendons fraying apart, etc.  But here once again we still witness the opportunity to be held together by willpower.  For one, training need not cease simply because injury occurred: it simply needs to be altered.  Far too many trainees are willing to just stop training the entire body for simply an appendage injury, ignoring the fact that they still have 3 good limbs, along with an entire upper and lower torso and neck intact.  “But what about IMBALANCES?” the weak masses cry.  Hey guy, would you rather have 4 weak limbs or 3 strong ones?  Seems like a pretty easy choice for someone who actually cares about being strong, no?   

And it’s the same for recovery too.  Immediately post injury you get to make the decision of how you’re going to react.  The day after I blew out my left knee, I spent 4 hours walking around an aquarium with my family because I make a promise to do so, I did squats 6 days later, and I trained 2 days post-surgery.  I did my physical therapy religiously, trained what could be trained, got strong, and got recovered.  And do I have pain?  Hell yeah I do, and I will myself through it, because I’m not dead yet.  Meanwhile, the entire time I was at physical therapy, I witnessed a ton of people who had just quit.  They complained and lamented their condition and cursed the doctors for “torturing them”, whereas I begged for more resistance, more aggressive therapy, faster recovery.  My mind was simply unready to let my body die. 

Image result for squatting on a bosu ball
No joke, I was ready to do this if it was going to get me results

You have the complete and total control to decide WHEN you are going to quit moving forward.  You are an agent of pure willpower manifested into human form.  You can decide to stop moving as soon as you meet any resistance, or you can carry on through everything.  You can run forward until you have to walk, walk until you have to limp, limp until you have to crawl, and crawl on your belly until it’s just your fingers dragging your body across the ground.  Your will can carry you much further than your body wants, you simply have to be willing to let it happen.  Let yourself be bound together by willpower and you will never truly fall apart.   

8 comments:

  1. As in training, as in life. I get annoyed at people telling me how "lucky" I am not to have a mortgage to pay. When I explain that I spent the 10 years I did have a mortgage working overtime and overpaying on my mortgage every month they tell me I'm "lucky" I could afford to put that money towards my mortgage. I then explain that I'm not materialistic, I have no interest in fashion or trends. I don't fritter my money away or drink or smoke, or blow an entire week's wages on a drunken night out.
    Instead, I slowly chipped away at my debt £ by £, the same way I built my physique/strength rep by rep.
    People don't want to do things the hard way, it's all about instant gratification. Anyone who does must be "lucky" or "gifted". This then excuses them from putting in the effort because they are not "lucky".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mortgage example is such a fantastic instance of willpower played out in other venues as well. Many people simply refuse to exercise the willpower necessary to control their spending. They operate under the premise that they must spend ALL of their money as soon as they get it, and in turn have zero ability to save or plan for the future.

      No one likes the slow and steady process, but it's also one of the few out there that works. Appreciate your comment!

      Delete
  2. You're lucky that you have had the willpower to lift hard for this long

    :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read my piece on Building Willpower, you'll know that I'm just REALLY lucky that I resent myself so much, haha.

      Delete
  3. Appreciate your content alot dude! I get this weird strain feeling when I'm locking out ohp. Might be impingement, your advice is just to keep on pushing yeah? Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the comment man. I can't offer any advice on the situation. I'm not a medical doctor nor am I a coach.

      Were it me, I'd figure out why it's happening and fix it. I'd keep training what I could, and figure out how to keep getting stronger on the press. When I've had shoulder pain from pressing, I found lots of short ROM pressing through the point of the pain seemed to help.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this post. I have been reflecting on it, and like that it strikes a balance between simply "Want to do get up at 4:30? Just do it!", and "wear the same shirt every day to make important decisions".

    Illuminating that everyone suffers equally, and its how we respond that matters, really is what hits home at what willpower is about.

    Honestly, I really do think that the idea that fitness is 90% mental is correct. The mind will carry the body so much further than the body thinks.

    ReplyDelete