Sunday, October 14, 2018

ON PREDESTINATION: THERE IS NO DISCIPLINE


I have had many people tell me that they admire me for my discipline.  They witness my dietary compliance, or how rigorously and regularly I engage in physical training, or that I wake up early to get things done, and through their observation they conclude that I am a highly disciplined individual.  Many times, they even express envy, how they WISH they could be as disciplined as I am, because, if they were, they could really do the things they want to get done.  But that is where I have to ultimately disagree with them.  My experience has dictated that, fundamentally, we always do the things that we want to do.  There is no discipline: our actions are predestined as a result of our inclinations, motivations, and desires. 

Image result for giant plate of nachos
And if we did not pursue these desires, there would be no greatness in the world

But isn’t that exactly WHAT discipline is: the ability to overcome your desires to instead do something else?  In point of fact, I argue that the logic on this is reversed.  We must utilize the outcome to determine the motivation, rather than attempt to determine that the outcome is the result of a circumventing entity of discipline.  Put simply, if a thing was done, that thing was done as a result of the desire to do that thing.  If one’s compulsion were to do something other than that thing, then something other than that thing would have been done.

And again the statement is made “but discipline is the OVERCOMING of these desires”, to which again I refute that there IS no discipline.  All we have control over is our desires, but once that is set, the chain of events becomes set in motion.  So what of the individual that wakes up at 0500 to engage in a grueling training session day after day and then eats a bland diet rich in nutrients but lacking in enjoyment?  A true paragon of discipline?  NO!  That individual is as hedonistic as the rest of us: pursuing their own personal joy.  It just so happens that, for that individual, the joy of BEING something great is greater than the joy of experiencing pleasures.  That individual required absolutely zero discipline to engage in their protocol: the path was already set as soon as the decision was made that they preferred the results of training over the experience of non-compliance.

Image result for billiards trick shot meme
My Hume readers will appreciate the reference, but also be aware that photoshopping exists in all activities

The notion of discipline exists because people operate under the false premise that all individuals share the same desires and share these desires at the same intensities.  “I enjoy pizza, I enjoy it immensely, consuming it gives me great joy, therefore, to not consume it would deprive me of joy, and to choose to not consume it would necessitate great discipline, which must also be true for that guy over there that I observe NOT eating the pizza”.  But in point of fact, it turns out Mr. No-Pizza Eater finds greater joy in dietary compliance than he does in the consumption of pizza, because dietary compliance, in turn, allows him to BE something that he enjoys.  In both instances, the person eating the pizza and the person NOT eating the pizza are exercising the same degree of discipline: that is to say, none.  It requires absolutely zero discipline to engage in an activity that you WANT to do.  Discipline would only be needed to engage in an activity you don’t want to do and, as we are observing, want necessarily dictates activity.  We cannot reasonably argue for the existence of discipline.

So what of those that are definitely vectored toward accomplishing a specific goal but, in a “moment of weakness”, they engage in activities that run counter to that goal?  Surely that’s an indication of one’s discipline failing, no?  Once again, no.  What we observe there is the fluidity of desire.  Desires can change rapidly, especially in the presence of new stimulus.  Doubt this?  Come home from a long, 18 hour day of work, and your desire will be to collapse and not move.  Collapse onto a hot stove and suddenly, despite your initial desire for sloth, you will be prompted to action.  Your desire changed: you went from “I don’t want to move anymore” to “I want to move to any place other than this one RIGHT NOW”.  In both cases, we observe the lack of presence of discipline, and instead it is the goal and desire that changed and drove the change in action.  The same is true if you only maintain dietary compliance in the absence of temptation but, once prompted, cave to eat things you shouldn’t.  You did not experience a moment of weakness: you have always been following your goals and desires.  It is simply the case that your goal changed.

Image result for squatting on a bosu ball
I'm sure the goal was originally "get stronger" and is now "kill trainer"

What is the relevance of all of this rambling?  I have freed you from the shackles of discipline!  Now you are a much different slave: you are a slave to predestination as determined by your desires.  What you want fundamentally dictates what you do.  HOWEVER, what you have the absolute most freedom over is in DECIDING what it is that you want.  Yes, once decided, the actions are set in motion, but you still control the desire, and, with the right desire, you will accomplish amazing things.  If you honestly, really and truly WANT physical greatness, you will always make the decision to accomplish the things that achieve physical greatness versus the things that deny it.  You will always train when you need to train, eat what you need to eat, sleep when you need to sleep, etc.  You need not exercise any discipline whatsoever: just make the decision and let the universe take its course.  And when you make the wrong decisions, don’t beat yourself up over your “lacking discipline”: you simply wanted non-compliance MORE than you wanted compliance.  There is nothing wrong with that: you’re STILL achieving your goals when you do that.  It just so happens that your goals changed.  The more you want your goal, the more it will consistently remain your goal, which means the more you will continue to do the things that will achieve it.  If you are “failing”, just want your goal more.  And if you find you are “trying” to want your goal, I think it’s pretty obvious that it’s not really your goal.

14 comments:

  1. Awesome post, as always. I have always enjoyed the definition of "want" as meaning "to just go out and do something". One thing I like to say, sometimes, at work, is that you should work at a pace that makes it seem like you don't WANT to be doing this job (I always personally hated the "sense of urgency" that managers always peddle . . . like, my life isn't in danger, seriously, its just boxes).

    But I digress. I was talking about this with Cyriades some time ago, and concluded that I really don't have motivation to train; just discipline. It's simply a habit at this point, or, more or less, a matter of knowing I need to get it in and get it done.

    I think that's where most people fail. They try to find motivation -- attempt to change everything all at once -- and when the staggering amount of changes become overwhelming "now i have to exercise, now I have to cut sugar, now I have to count calories" they quit. I know I certainly would if I had to change everything all at once.

    I've found fitness a lot more sustainable if its done in steps. First you train. You get good at training daily, and putting the effort in. Then you clean up your diet of sugars. Then you clean up your diet of other bad food. Then you eat less. I have been maintaining a food log for the past week or two and counting calories where appropriate, and incidentally, may have stumbled upon my TDEE. Mostly because I was able to account for every calorie that day. I haven't gotten into weighing portions yet, just eating smaller meals. If it comes to buying a food scale, I'll do it.

    Discipline is the action; Motivation is the goal. Something I think people confuse a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be honest: I'm a big fan of the sense of urgency. I constantly lament it's absence in society. Many people are meandering, no real purpose, desire or drive, and those people are frustrating when they occupy the same space as those that ARE trying to get somewhere or do something.

      I can't fathom a world of habit vs motivation, as I find that, the older I get, the more I am doing the things I've always wanted to do. I have the job I've wanted ever since I was 6, I am pursuing a goal I developed when I was 4, etc. My life seems to be purely motivationally driven. It seems I picked things to be motivated by that would, in turn, benefit my life, but perhaps that speaks to the value of being able to choose WHAT you want, and then letting your pathos dictate how you go about getting it.

      Delete
    2. Yeah. I'm not saying a sense of urgency isn't important. I just have issues with the semantics of it. To me, urgency is an unsustainable pace. I prefer an idea of working with an economy of motion that leads to fast but efficient work. Especially when work is 8 hours long. For fitness its different though.
      ---
      I don't view it as habit vs. motivation. I view the concepts as interconnected. You create habits to support your motivation. The baser level, of just getting at it, is the amount of effort you put in at said habits.

      One of my current motivations is to break the guinness world record for most weight moved by kettlebell swing in an hour. The habit is picking up the thing to get closer towards that goal. The "getting at it", as you describe in this post, is just throwing caution to the wind and frenetically swinging until my heart wants to explode or some aspect of my body can't move anymore. Since it works everything. My personal best so far is 402 swings with a 60lb bell and I started to get into the territory people describe where the hands start to actually hurt.

      I think it's why I liked Bud Jeffries' work on the swing, so much. It's very much a work on just getting at it. I haven't been doing it as much lately because I'm in a position in life where I can lift weights, and there is only so much my body can do.

      I'm glad to hear you're able to pursue the job you dreamed of at age 6. I've been trying to get into the military because that has been my dream job, but I keep running into health issues. It blows. I'm DQ'd on hearing loss (fron what I understand, waivers are unlikely), and if I correct it, I'm DQ'd due to middle ear surgery (waiver is more likely, but still up in the air).

      Delete
  2. Great post.

    For the sake of being pragmatic, I wonder if "discipline" could serve as a moniker in a few related components to the goal begets action thought. With the exception of a few extreme cases, our biologic default is self-preservation (biology is a Hobbesian concept? You would know better than I*). So if we assume that humans are biologically predisposed to certain behaviors that are in line with the ubiquitous survival goal, including choosing the path of least resistance (to conserve energy), favoring high caloric or "tasty" foods (to efficiently acquire energy), and, perhaps most importantly, preferring a lesser degree of immediate gratification over a greater amount in the future**, then we could argue discipline is the evolved or conscious mind overriding the biological one. Accepting this, we can then define discipline as deliberately choosing actions that conflict with these biological urges.

    This assumes that the biologic mind is separate from the intelligent or “human” one. If we consider them to be one in the same, the argument breaks down and we go back to discipline as a non-starter.

    Anyway, I believe discipline can still be useful in defining other aspects of our thought to physical action process. But I agree- ultimately everything we do is a function of what we desired the most at that moment. Acting on unrestrained volition is the antithesis of the traditional notion of discipline.

    *I have taken one entire semester of modern philosophy, and even showed up to most of the classes. Some might call me an expert on the topic (this is a joke).

    **This point- an inherent difficulty with time discounting- might be a primal survival instinct: "enjoy" now because tomorrow is too uncertain. It is obvious, however, that unlike most other animals, humans have learned to overcome this and invest now for a better (more survivable) future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really enjoyed your reply. Regarding biology, for the first point, I honestly couldn't tell you about Hobbes as the originator. I'd be willing to believe you, but my only real exposure to him is Leviathan, and even then a limited scope of it. However, regarding self-preservation as an instinct (will to live), I find myself more and more ascribing to Nietzsche's perspective instead, the "Will to Power". Rather than having a biological drive to live at all costs, I think one can observe a biological drive to assert one's power instead. They have similar outcomes, as one NEEDS to be healthy and formitable to both live and exert power, hence you'll still observe the same drives you noted of over consumption, but the difference is that the will to live is self focused and fundamentally non-malicious, whereas the will to power can also be the undoing of the creature, as it puts itself in direct conflict with others exercising the same will. And under that paradigm, I think the discussion on discipline becomes very viable, because one's actions will ultimately be dependent on their own interpretation of WHAT the assertion of power over others entails.

      In more savage times, it was basically just violence and subjugation, but now maybe I assert my power over others by being bigger and stronger, or perhaps as a better guitar player, or a better video game player, etc. I feel like one observes a compulsion within others to excel in some manner, ANY manner, above their peers.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this.

    This is something I've thought about and try to articulate to those who complain about being out of shape and then do nothing about it. I will always tell them things like "You don't want it as much as you want to relax and eat yummy food. When you want it enough, you'll get in shape."

    The way you have presented it here has been helping me with making those good decisions to avoid the poison of comfort. When I find myself considering a caramel shortbread with my coffee, I remember that, in this moment, I'm making comfort my goal, and what kind of ridiculous goal is that?

    I've been slipping recently with those tiny, everyday decisions that mean a hell of lot when you add them up. This was a great clip round the ears.

    P.S. I read this blog religiously and have now gone back through almost your entire back catalogue. You've probably done more for my strength and physique than any other resource out there. I hope you continue for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man, thanks. I really appreciate the feedback, and it means a lot to know how much the blog has mattered for you. It still blows my mind that I can be affecting others, because this still just feels like me yelling at walls, haha.

      This paradigm reframing has been crucial for me as well. As soon as I realized it, compliance became so easy.

      Delete
    2. You affect others because you write concepts from the heart. You don't even do it for an audience, although I can tell you feel it is nice to have.

      As much as I admire T-nation, the amount of information on there is actually pretty confusing, and seems to be various implementations of "personal trainers hate this one weird trick" .

      I read up on the "stack 10" protocol, it's just top setting. I read up on top sets. I was still confused. I naturally went back to my 5x5 program you gave me years ago and I've decided that once that runs out I'm just going to do 5/3/1.

      Delete
  4. Have you ever read Acts of Caine? "My will or I won't."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never even considered the idea of this post and it kind of blew my mind. So simple but not something people talk about. Well done man, I appreciate the work you put in here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you appreciated it dude. It was the same for me. I struggled and struggled, and then one day it all clicked and became incredibly easy.

      Delete