Sunday, January 6, 2019

BECAUSE I DON’T HAVE TO




One of my favorite bits of media regarding training was the interview series Elitefts put on where Wendler did a Q&A session with Kroc.  And in that series, my favorite moment comes right away in part II, where Wendler asks “Why don’t you wear knee wraps” and Kroc offers an impish smile before responding “because I don’t have to.”  You can watch it here



Let me set up some context for you, for those that aren’t totally versed in the Kroc lore.  At the time of this interview, Kroc had already out-totaled the person interviewing him, and did it at 2-3 weight classes lighter.  He had placed/won in the WPO at the Arnold, which, at the time, was the biggest powerlifting competition in the world.  Raw (or RAW, for those of you with simple minds) wasn’t even a thing, the IPF was single ply, and the top strongest dudes in the world who wanted to compete against the others did it in multi-ply at the WPO.  There was NO restriction on gear; wraps were certainly allowed.  After this interview, Kroc would go on to set the all time record total, and did that ALSO without wraps, even though they were allowed.  Every single person Kroc competed against used wraps, and used them to their advantages.  By all reasonable measures, using wraps made sense.

Image result for matt kroczaleski squat WPO
Kroc, seen here, not making sense

To this day, it remains the best possible answer I’ve ever seen to any question of “why don’t you do X.”  There’s no refuting it: all Jim can do is chuckle, because really, what else can you say to that?  And the response came so quickly.  Kroc didn’t have to sit and think, weigh the pros and cons of wrap use, justify his practice with facts, figures, studies (Russian and otherwise), historical precedents, words of gurus, etc etc: the answer was rapidly ready and justified itself.  This interview happened well over a decade ago, yet its wisdom has sadly been lost or never even realized among the training population in the first place.  Last year, I gave you all the mantra of “brute force and ignorance”, so how about for 2019 we embrace “because I don’t have to.”

“Because I don’t have to” is about understanding what is of real value in your training and your life.  So many trainees cram their training with all sorts of meaningless drivel simply because it’s THERE. Without any need for it, they engage in half hour warm ups with 400 mobility drills and foam rolling, they throw in every single gimmicky piece of training gear they can into their workout, they calculate MRV and compare outputs on their tendo units, etc etc.  They do all these things despite the fact that they were progressing BEFORE they started implementing them, or they implement them before they even try training without them.  And suddenly, they’re trapped in a routine of a million different movements that takes 4 hours to complete and they have no idea how else to train, they burn out, don’t have any time to train anymore, and ultimately still look like they’ve never actually set foot in a weight room before.


Image result for squatting on a bosu ball
Clearly, at some point, someone should have asked "Do I have to do this?!"


Everything has a place, but everything also has a TIME, and you need to recognize when that time is.  If you try to do everything all the time, all you end up being is bad at a lot of stuff at once.  This is very very basic periodization, and trainees HATE the idea, because all they ever look at is a finished product.  Its super cool to look at Arnold or Mariusz or Kaz and go “why can’t I be big, strong, and a total freak just like them?” but the individual needs to realize that they’re looking at a finished product of work that stems from MANY decades of training, and in turn they’re observing them at their peak in THAT moment.  Even mighty Arnold lost his abs in the off season, and Mariusz had to learn how to fight when he got into MMA, and he got smaller through that process.  These guys did what they had to do WHEN they had to do it.

And on the converse of that, there’s no shame in NOT doing something you don’t have to do, even if everyone says you have to.  Ok, that previous sentence was a triple negative, so let me explain.  I am notorious for doing zero mobility work, never warming up in competition, barely warming up in training, and having “bad form” as far as the internet is concerned.  I never hit depth on squats in training, I don’t push my head through on overhead presses, my back rounds frequently, etc.  And why is that?  Because I learned a while ago “I don’t have to”.  These are things I simply don’t have to do if I want to succeed and meet my goals.  And it GREATLY upsets vocal members of the internet, because it causes them cognitive dissonance to see someone succeed NOT doing what they do.  And they will get violently upset about it, and call me all sorts of horrible names and insult my intelligence and legitimately wish harm upon me…because I train differently than they do.  I like to think of myself as crazy, but these people are certifiable. 


Image result for stop liking what i don't like
How I view these exchanges

Look; I’ve not ruled any of this stuff out.  I’m sure it has a place: I just don’t have to do it.  Not right now.  “Yeah, but you’ll WISH you did it later”.  Dude, it’s been 19 years; I’m not sure how much longer I can train the “wrong” way before I start suffering from it.  I have too many things I HAVE to do right now to start wasting any of my training time and effort on things I don’t have to do.  And what I have to do is going to be different from what you have to do, or what other trainees have to do: we have our own weaknesses to bring up, and our own strengths to fall back on.  Your job is to be able to sort out the signal to noise out there and know what is what YOU have to do.  Every year, something becomes the new “thing”, and everyone starts doing it, and everyone who doesn’t do it is an idiot living in the past…and then another year passes, that thing falls to the junk pile, and a new thing takes its place.  Don’t fall for these traps; learn what YOU have to do, and do that.

Give yourself your own interview this year, and see how many questions you can respond with “because I don’t have to.”  For those that you don’t have that response, you now recognize your weaknesses and what you need to improve on.  If you ask yourself “Why don’t I do more conditioning work” and your response is “Because I don’t have the time/I’m lazy/it sucks/I don’t like it” etc etc, you’ve hit step 1 of the 12 step program and identified you have a problem.  But, if you ask yourself a question, look at you current trajectory and find yourself satisfied with your course, you can fire back with “because I don’t have to.” 

 

22 comments:

  1. Been looking a lot at r/weightroom these past few months and it's an interesting contrast to your blog. I've made a deliberate effort to stop spending so much time on sites like t-nation and the various fitness subreddits listening to people argue in circles. Amazingly, I'm not any weaker for it and while my training hasnt been stellar for the past year (work is largely to blame) I'm not any weaker as an uninformed ogre and I enjoy the process much more without the analysis paralysis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped reading fitness forums when it was all form check/do i deload/im resetting/how do i deadlift/what routine do I follow. Mostly out of boredom, but, looking back, I don't regret it.

      They're just noise. Every once in awhile someone comes and asks "how do I do 100 pushups?" and when I explain how to do that, it just gets ignored, or drowned out from everyone else just saying "do more pushups bro". Everyone's talking and no one's listening. I don't feel bad for being ignorant, and choosing to only grab a few techniques from books when I need to.

      Hell, ever since I read "You already have your reward" I stopped bragging about my little PRs over facebook, or forums, or whatever. I'm hitting my goals. Not at the pace I would like to, but that's quite possibly me just wanting things to come faster.

      Addendum: I'm not saying that "do more pushups" is invalid. Doing one more per day is certainly manageable. Just that, clearly, if someone is asking said question, there's some sort of hang up somewhere and I figure they need a few ideas to go off of. I also wonder if people just don't want to push past the mental barrier that exists when you get to a certain number of reps (which seems to start around 50 or 100).

      Delete
    2. "Everyone's talking and no ones listening" is unfortunately applicable to society as a whole, social media in particular.

      Delete
    3. Oh yeah, definitely. Or memes. Or whatever. Everyone wants relevance but they don't want to compete for it.

      When I signed up for a meet in March, it just changed everything . Like I got stuck at 195 for bench for a month or so and just plugged away at it until I broke though that and added another 10lbs, and I was ok with it because what matters now is how I perform 2 months from now, and not what I do day to day in the gym. Which also made me ok with working in 3x3 and then 3x8 and not caring if someone came in while I was in the second half of my workout.

      Delete
    4. Enjoying the process and rolling through with blinders on uniformed is a big step dude. Glad you're finding it beneficial. I did the same thing years back, and it was the biggest thing. Stopped worrying about all the latest studies and about being right and just worried about being strong.

      Good to have you keeping along.

      Delete
    5. The issue is less with T-nation itself and more that you just can't distill a discipline into a series of articles. Or one-line statements. Or whatever. Real knowledge takes actual time vested in studying to develop, and some experimentation. Even for a non-technical field such as lifting weights.

      Delete
    6. " Stopped worrying about all the latest studies and about being right and just worried about being strong."

      This. So much . I think people want to be right because it absolves them of the responsibility of being strong.

      That responsibility comes with hard work , pain, potential for injury , time in, and sometimes, maybe sometimes, just not microloading crap.

      Delete
  2. So I may have asked this before , but it's still an avenue of lifting that confuses me, but, how do I know when to deload? Is it necessary if my lifts are still going up? I think I have one planned next week as a precaution, and that would have had me training for about 8 weeks before any kind of deload, with another block of 6 weeks before I take some time off before the competition to stay fresh.

    I know you talked about in a previous post about how people say deloading aren't necessary and how you spent years not deloading and not making a lot of progress.

    Honestly, I will probably take one next week to make eusu that I don't burn out later and then have a short training cycle before the meet, but I am curious as to your input on this matter. All I can find is pretty much "take a planned deload before you injured yourself" from Dave Tate, and I guess that makes sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm confused so much on the.methodology so much as the necessity of taking a lighter week.

      Delete
    2. It's usually a play it by feel sort of thing (general deloads, at least. Peaking/pre-comp deloads are usually more planned because you're on the meets timeline not your own. Contest prep tends to be more locked in than regular training for that reason). Normally you take a deload when your sessions start consistently going to shit and you notice the little nagging issues starting to pile up. After a while you'll learn how long that usually is and what the warning signs are so you can start plugging those deloads in right before things go to shit.

      If you're listening to your body and it's telling you you're still feeling fresh, still getting stronger and nothing is in immediate danger of tearing off then you generally have no reason to take one.

      Delete
    3. I'm not really peaking so much right now. Just switched to a 3x3 and a 3x8 scheme with the main lifts and giant setting the assistance work as much as I can, and I can see how the two ranges play in together. I think there is some slight fatigue setting in but as far as I can tell strength is still coming along.

      It will be my first meet, in March, so I just want to get in, establish a total, and not worry about placing (being the Darth that is Alaska, I might be the only guy in my weight class any way).

      So with strength going up, a little fatigue setting in, but not a lot, I should be ok if I keep going and just take the few days off before the meet?

      Delete
    4. The best advice I've heard about deloads is you deload BEFORE you need to. If it's time to deload, it's already too late.

      You have to figure out what works for you. I deload when I run 5/3/1. I haven't deloaded for Deep Water, but I'll be taking a week off after the advaned program due to getting some eye surgery. However, with 5/3/1, I'm smashing rep PRs week in and week out, and that's taxing. As tough as Deep Water is, the reps are set for the beginner and intermediate program, so I'm never dipping any deeper than the program dictates.

      Delete
    5. That makes a lot of sense, too.

      I've been breaking through either a rep or weight PR on something each session.

      Delete
  3. Hi mate. If you need any post ideas, I'd like to hear your thoughts on CrossFit. It's widely discredited in the "lifting community" and, as such, I never took it seriously, but since watching the Netflix films (and actually using my own common sense) I've come around. It seems to be born of the same thinking as strongman and showcases some of the most brutally intense athletes you'll see anywhere. As far as I'm concerned, any criticism you can make of CrossFit you can make of strongman to some extent. I find myself wondering if strongman faced the same kind of rebuke in its early years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man,

      I haven't ever actually trained in/with crossfit to really be able to speak to it. I've done a few WODs and known some folks heavy into it, but it's not within my realm of experience.

      The people that are against it are pretty silly. It's not worth getting upset because people lift weights differently than you, haha.

      Delete
    2. I've done a few CrossFit WODs too . So, I'm probably also not real qualified to speak on it but, I don't see the issue the lifting community has.

      CrossFit's goals seem to be towards developing superior conditioning while getting proficient at a broad range of athletic abilities, rather than maxing a select few such as powerlifting or strongman, and the women who do it tend to be super attractive -- and that freaks out the internet collective hivemind that doesn't want to give up 5x5 and microloading while overthinking "accessory work" because it means their Lord and savior Mark Rippetoe might actually be fake, or just a terrible coach who doesn't know what he's doing.

      Delete
    3. Where I train, they have both PL and Crossfit under the same roof. Hell, they even have Krav Maga classes.

      Everyone respects each other. Everyone is there to work on improving in their respective discipline. There is no friction or animosity; in fact, there is often a lot of crossover between the groups.

      Delete
  4. Also, what is up with everyone calling assistance exercises accessories? I understand you made a post about this but, what the hell?

    I feel like I just stepped out of a vault.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I run into the same things sometimes.

    Like you, I walk in, spend a couple of minutes limbering up, and jump right into the lifts. The warmup sets are my primary stretches; any static stretching I might do beforehand is just to see what parts of my body might be creaky that day.

    Do I wear a belt? No, I don't have to. Do I wear wraps? No, I don't have to.

    Do I wear lightweight elbow sleeves for everything? Yes, I have to. (Damn tendons just do a lot better with something there to keep things in place..) I've gotten questions in both directions in the past of why I do or don't do something everyone else is. The fact that I walk in and just start lifting while watching people do their mobility drills not only as I'm walking in the door but still going at it as I'm walking OUT an hour later is neither here nor there; if it works for them, great. Doesn't mean it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I actually had a guy ask me why I didn't use a belt when deadlifting 315lbs for a back off set (I think he missed the 375 double) because I think he was concerned over my possibly getting a hernia with all this weight (he even said he would get one if he tried half that much!). I didn't really have a good answer because I just never thought about it.

      I, like you, don't mess around much with warm up sets, or Hit a few to open up the CNS and then go into the workout. I don't even know if that's a thing, but an eventuality goal of mine is to just take these out while hitting heavier weights. Because if "I don't have to", then it's one less thing to worry about come competition day.

      A fellow gym goer knows someone who her his back lifting heavy weights without warming up, so upon hearing this he decided to warm up with 10-20 (I really don't pay attention) minutes on an elliptical first, to avoid injury. Maybe that works. I don't know. I suffered a hernia with the fire service pulling a hose during training and was pretty "warmed up" from previous exercises. Sometimes that card gets flipped and I'm not sure if anything can really be done to avoid playing it.

      Delete
  6. The only time I do any sort of cardio warmup is the rare time my legs are cranky when limbering up for a heavy Full Zercher day. Even then, 5min on the treadmill is plenty.

    This quarter I'm doing my first ever high-rep cycle. After hitting PRs on my Zercher and DL, I decided to see what it was like to build up my work capacity a bit.

    After 2min of stretching, here is the entirety of my workout:

    Conventional DL:
    135x15
    225x10
    315x10
    380x10x3

    Followed up with light higher rep benching. I couldn't bench for years due to aforementioned elbow issues, so I'm not really in a position to put much weight on the bar:

    45x15
    95x10
    145x8x2

    In an out in 45 minutes. Since I usually am lucky to get 45-60min twice a week in, can't spend ages on mobility stuff. Get in, pound out the weights, and get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, nothing wrong with cardio if you need it or if it fits your goals or whatever.

      I used to judge people who didn't train like I did, and then I signed up for a power lifting competition. And now, I really don't have time for that nonsense and also, I realize how moronic my own training was.

      Basically everything fitness are just tools and if you need to, use them, but if not, it's just holding ya back.

      Delete