Monday, July 8, 2019

PLANNING FOR THE FUTURE


(Once again, apologies for the delay, but moving is over and I should be stable again)

Time for me to take a quick break from nihilism and absurdism and speak on things as though there WILL be a tomorrow and it IS worth planning for, because I swear some of you folks are way crazier than I am based off how you live your lives.  Some of you seem to think that there is no guarantee of tomorrow, and you engage in some bizarre hedonism wherein you train and eat like there is no tomorrow, and, by extension, guarantee that.  And this isn’t a remark against gluttony, because that can serve a purpose, but more just a lack of foresight or planning entirely.  Put bluntly, your CURRENT training and nutritional approach needs to be setting you up for your FUTURE training and nutritional approach: NOT maximizing its own current self.

Image result for X-men blob
Because if you wanna talk about maximizing yourself, I know a guy...

This is getting at the fundamental difference between a routine and a program.  A routine is something that you simply do every day.  You wake up, eat breakfast, go to work/school, and serve out the rest of that day: that’s your daily routine.  A PROGRAM builds on itself towards something greater.  You may go to school as a kid as part of your routine, but your school was smart enough (hopefully) to have an academic PROGRAM wherein the current day’s lesson drew upon the previous day’s lesson and got you ready for the next day’s work.  If all you did in math class everyday was repeatedly drill that 2+2=4, you may have attended a lot of math classes, you may have had a very consistent and reliable routine, but you had NO program at all.  Lots of time vested: total lack of progress.

When it comes to your training and nutrition, it is no different: what you do TODAY needs to be building off what you did yesterday and prepping you for what you’re going to do tomorrow.  And yeah, it doesn’t have to be EXACTLY that linear, but still: your current training cycle should be drawing from your previous one and building toward your next one.  Instead, most trainees just tend to hit their routine, hit it hard, and give them no opportunity of availability to grow.

Image result for Aggressive teeth brushing
Gonna brush the HELL out of these teeth

Ok, let’s get some concrete and understandable examples going.  Bulking phase.  You already know I hate this idea, but we can see why here.  Many trainees, when they enter a weight gain phase of training, will REDUCE training volume (understood to mean volume of ALL training: not just lifting, but conditioning, cardio, sports practice, even basic recreational physical activity) under the notion of not wanting to “waste gains” through excess activity.  Here’s the problem with that approach: when you’re taking in a LOT of calories, your recovery is through the roof.  Nutrition is one of the key elements of recovery, and a surplus of it is a surplus of recovery.  IF you condition your body to a state of lethargy while taking in that great amount of calories, you become a deconditioned trainee.  Well what do these trainees want to do when it’s time to lose weight?  They want to jack up the training volume, so that they can burn more calories through an excess of activity.  This goes poorly, because that trainee’s conditioning base is completely shot, and NOW they’re in a state of compromised activity due to the reduced calories.  This is where one tends to observe fatigue, burnout and injuries.  INSTEAD, this trainee should spend their weightgain phase training as HARD and as much as possible, making the most out of that caloric surplus so that, when it comes time to drop the weight, they can start taking away from the activity level and not suffer the effects of the reduced recovery.

And, in turn, this means that, when one is gaining weight, one’s focus is on volume, NOT intensity.  I wrote about this in my “Deep Water effect” post, but to summarize, when you jack up the volume a whole bunch while keeping the intensity moderate, you’re going to observe a drop off in top end lifting ABILITY, but this does not reflect a loss of strength: simply skill.  When is a great time to start rediscovering that skill?  During a period of reduced caloric intake, primarily because SKILL development is not nearly as physically/recovery taxing as strength development.  One can relearn the handling of heavier weights in a pretty short timeframe (which is why peaking cycles are measured in weeks rather than months or years), and, if they spent their weight gain time SERIOUSLY hammering the volume, they can ride out that discovery for a LONG time during a fat loss phase.  This means that you can spend your fat loss phases actually PROGRESSING, compared to the folks who surrender themselves to periods of nothing but maintaining at best.  There’s no need to regress while losing fat: you just have to actually set yourself up for success beforehand.

Image result for mariusz pudzianowski log press
Because EVERYONE knows you get weak when you get lean

And that’s the big takeaway with that: your training needs to have a plan BEYOND the mere routine.  All a routine does is give you some busywork to do that DAY: it doesn’t set you up for success down the road.  If you only live for today, you’ll look and perform exactly like you do today.  If you plan for the future, you’ll have something you can grow into.  And if you’ve been failing to plan up until this point, there’s no shame in shaking the etch-a-sketch and just starting from zero.  Don’t fall for a sunk cost fallacy here.  Your time hasn’t been wasted: you’ve learned through failure.  NOW you understand why you’ve just been in cycles of stagnation and regression: gaining and losing the same 10lbs over and over and watching your lifts waver in the same manner.  At this point, pick A direction to head into, go pursue that direction until you can’t, and then reverse course on it, knowing the strategies contained herein to be able to successfully plot your course.  Get your conditioning up so that you are in good enough shape to train HARD, then train hard and eat well until you can’t, then drop some excess fluff while pushing big weights until it gets stupid dangerous to keep it up, and then you can do it all over again.

13 comments:

  1. 2nd to last paragraph is just such a great point. Thanks for making it over and over and over again in different blogs and parables. It's a trap I think we've all fallen into at some point, so the more people you can help not fall into it again, the better.

    Also, Estes? Would be a fine 8-week blitz on your return to insanity. No events posted yet, what you don't know can't hurt you.

    WR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate it man. Over time, I've discovered I'm pretty much just finding different ways to write the same 5 topics, haha, but I also keep seeing the same issues, so it works out.

      Still on the fence with Estes. I'm in my new place, but haven't actually started the new job yet to know what my operation tempo is going to be. Once I have an idea about my schedule, I can set things up better.

      Delete
    2. Makes sense. They haven't posted events yet anyway, and you can register up to August 22 and still get entry to the festival included in your registration. I hope it works out, that would be a lot of fun to meet there.

      Delete
  2. Man great read as always. I'm a couple weeks into what should hopefully be a slow several month cut and have been unsure how to best program for this. You've given me lots to consider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic man: happy to hear that. Took me a while to really understand it all.

      Delete
  3. I like this post. Thank you. It makes me feel better knowing my maximal strength hasn't moved but I have been setting all sorts of rep PRs at different weights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome dude. Recognizing the value of strength across different spectrums is valuable.

      Delete
  4. This is a great post, thanks. I have learnt so much from your writings, I really wish I had discovered this blog years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude. Glad to have you as a reader.

      Delete
  5. Hi Emevas,

    So, I have successfully binged your entire blog history and have definitely had some paradigm shifts along the way. I am going to go through it all again much more slowly. I am a literature and linguistics student so your parables and metaphors really appeal to me.

    I am turning 30 this year and am weak and resent where I am. I did martial arts (karate and judo mostly) through my teens and was happy with what I was at 18 or so (I was a handful) and then I moved abroad, life got hard etc and things sort of went to shit. I took up climbing, hurt my back and progressively got weaker predominantly mentally. My mental health has been poor and I got an adult diagnosis for ADHD a couple of years ago which explained some of my troubles. Basically, I hit rock bottom (in some ares of my life; in others, quite the opposite, I met someone I absolutely adore and got married so have that going for me). As you capture really well in one of your posts, rock bottom is liberating because it's only up from here and it is pretty clear what hasn't worked.

    What you helped me realise (despite it being obvious enough I should have worked it out myself) is that I have been training like a weakling and waiting to graduate/earn my way back to where I was in my teens. When I was doing martial arts I trained like a madman and at one point was doing hours of karate before walking a town over (too broke for the bus) to do judo and then I'd go out drinking, etc. When I think back to it I felt beat to shit all the time but I trained and trained and saw the results. I've been avoiding that pain for years and it shows. I need to stop training like a scrub and training like the person I want to be not the person I am. I am starting BJJ in a couple of weeks (when they reopen) and am adding in conditioning work today!

    This is long and rambling but I wanted to show my appreciation. I will drop a question here and there as I read back through the blog.

    I have a request for a future post. It would be nice to hear how you approach accumulation and intensification cycles in extended off season training. Basically, when you've not got a comp coming up how to you decide when do build volume/strength and when do you shift over to realising it? I know the answer is probably just "do I feel like building/realising strength?" but I thought there's a chance there's more to it.

    Liam

    P.s. you have also inspired me to play through Fallout and Fallout 2 with melee characters but that's another story haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey dude,

      Thanks for sharing your story. It's awesome to hear how you're turning everything around. I'm excited for you, and more than willing to help if you run into any questions. Have fun with the Fallouts as well. Once you go Melee, guns just feel like cheating, haha.

      As for the accumulation/intensification in the off season thing, the truth is, unless I have a comp looming, I don't tend to do any intensification. Accumulation is where the strength is built, so that's what I want to do. About the only thing that leads me to intensification would be if my bodyfat was creeping up a bit high from eating to recover from accumulation, at which point my calories drop and with it, so does my volume. I'll ride that out until my bodyfat is back in check and then accumulate again.

      Delete
    2. Hey man,

      Thanks! I thought the answer on accumulation would be something along those lines. I have started doing weighted chin-ups and dips following 5/3/1 and have a 16kg and 24kg kettlebell on the way for swings and squats. Need to order an army duffel bag to make a sandbag and then I should be set for a while. I am doing a cardio base building phase for five weeks which will transition into conditioning work (based on Tactical Barbell's Conditioning book). For my 5/3/1 chin-up and dip workouts I am keeping my rest periods at 2 minutes as a litmus test for my conditioning (if I can keep the rest dialed in as the weights get heavy I will know my conditioning is working) and after a few cycles will start working in some isolation work (band stuff) between my working sets and assistance work. I'll let you know in 3-4 months how all that works out.

      Yeah, I have always been a gun guy on Fallout so punching my way through will probably be a huge challenge. Deathclaws are intimidating enough with guns... Final thought, I am reading Intervention by Dan John and it has a lot of parallels to some of your blog posts (as well as several points you clearly wouldn't agree on too) and while it isn't something you'd need to read as it is about getting from A to B (which you seem to be doing fine with) it has loads of cool thoughts you might like. Might be worth looking at if you have a quiet week.

      Delete
    3. Appreciate the recommendation dude. Definitely been on the list. I really enjoyed "Never Let Go" by Dan John. I resonate a LOT with what he writes.

      Best of luck with the training and the fallouting.

      Delete