Sunday, September 8, 2019

I REFUSE




More fun stories from real life, because sometimes procrastinating to write my blogpost gives me an opportunity to do some living.  Was out on a walk with the Mrs yesterday, and we started off in suburbia before we ended up on a nice path by a lake near the house.  We hadn’t been on it before, so we decided to just follow it and see where it went.  We soon transitioned from pavement to a nature path, and from there ended up completely twisted around in what I believe were actually horse trails upon reflection.  We’re walking on a carved out grass pathway surrounded by very tall weeds/marshland, but can clearly see where we want to end up: we just don’t know which trail or path we need to take to get there.  We eventually find the way out, and all in all the experience was totally enjoyable, but in discussing it my wife told me she was glad we found the path, and I told her I wasn’t worried, because if worse came to worse, I was just going to walk through the weeds straight to where we wanted to go.  When she said she wasn’t going to do that, I assured her that I would carry her through it, so that she wouldn’t have to concern herself with ticks or other nasty critters.  When she asked why, I said “because I refuse to be trapped by grass”, and from this she made the pointed observation that I refuse to be trapped by a lot of things.

Image result for jason voorhees coming out of water
How I saw it in my head

And that’s today’s lesson: “I refuse”.  My wife’s observation was incredibly spot on, and I could do nothing but admit her accuracy when faced by it.  She elaborated that she was referring to how I refuse to be trapped by weather, having a history of driving through dangerous blizzard conditions, flashfloods, mudslides, etc, all of which she has had to endure alongside me, so it’s etched into her mind.  However, my training is mired in “I refuse”.  One of the primary ones, that constantly seems to blow the mind of others, is that I refuse to do mobility or flexibility work.  The more I get told that I “must” do it, the more I refuse to do it.  And I’ve been told that I must do it for over a decade, which, in turn, is a decade of refusing.  AND a decade of succeeding!  Where are the consequences that I was told I was going to face?  It’s going to happen when I get old?  Well how interesting, because….

I refuse to grow old.  I’m in my mid 30s with 19 years of training mileage, and I’m training harder and crazier than I ever did in my 20s, despite what I hear from my peers about how everything is harder and worse in your 30s.  I find THAT to be the fundamental issue: they tell themselves it’s going to get harder, and it gets harder.  I refuse to let it happen, and I force my body to adapt to that stimulus.  Much like the expression “We don’t stop playing because we get older: we get older because we stop playing”, you grow old when you start training like you’re old.  So many people have simply given up while they are in the PRIME of their lives, and I observe the unfortunate ways their bodies decay over the next SEVERAL decades from neglect and, ultimately defeat.  Not me: I refuse.

Image result for walmart scooter meme
What many of my peers wanted for their 30th birthdays

I refuse to be trapped by injuries.  This is one I see SO much among other trainees, and it just blows my mind.  ONE part will have an injury, and they just quit ALL training.  “Broke my hand: looks like I won’t be lifting for the next 3 months”.  What?  Go pull a sled, or hit up the leg press, or safety squat bar squats, or zercher good mornings, or cable or machine work, etc etc.  These people lament how they “love” training and won’t be able to train and won’t put in ANY effort to figure out other ways to train.  Man, if this is how they treat things they love, I’d hate to be a family member or loved one to these people, because they are QUICK to abandon their love.  I hate training, and I will rig up the most Rube Goldberg-esque contraption possible to train around whatever injury I have because I REFUSE to be trapped by injury. 

And fundamentally, that boils down to the fact that I refuse to let anything external to me determine MY fate.  This is Sartre’s “radical freedom” taken to the extreme.  It’s Nietzsche’s “Will to Power”.  The fact so many philosophers have discussed it as a means of existentialism is proof of concept of just how inherent such a notion is in ALL of us: that we CAN refuse.  And when you wallow in self-pity about your powerlessness, you simply refuse TO refuse.  Otherwise, exercise your ability to refuse when presented with an obstacle that threatens your success or presumes to alter your fate. 

Image result for squatting on a bosu ball
Shoulda refused this idea from the trainer

And do so out of anger.  Understand that these external variables are an affront to your very nature, and that they act in hopes of defeating you.  And you refuse to be defeated!  You refuse to let them have the last word!  And if you crash and burn in a fireball, it is on YOUR terms.  You decide your fate, because you refuse to let anything decide what will be your downfall BUT you.  When you go out, it’s because you decided to, and when others tell you your time is up, you refuse to listen.  You refuse to give in to fear, to injury, to age, to fatigue, to convention, to science, to anything that is not what YOU want it to be.  And if people tell you that’s insane, you can refuse to listen. 
     

11 comments:

  1. I love this. I also feel there’s another awesome analogy here you touched on. That feeling of being able to see where you want to go over the grass but not being able to see the path, and realizing “screw it, I’ll just go THROUGH the grass”. It’s hard, you might get scratched, your feet might get wet, but it’s just GRASS. Go through it. I feel like people do this all the time, they say, “I know what I want to accomplish, but I don’t know what the right way is.” But even where there is no clear path, blundering towards your goal with bull-headed stubbornness will get you where you want to go if you’re okay with going through the grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outstanding point dude. Makes me wish I wrote on it, haha. Absolutely true though, and something I've definitely employed, literally and otherwise. So many "obstacles" are just artificial constructs, and once you disregard them, you can go VERY far.

      Delete
    2. This reminds me of my favourite sign in Brian Alsruhe's videos, the "Nothing is really that hard." It's just grass. It's just some squats or some deadlifts. It's just some stupid giant set that leaves you barely breathing, keeled over and dry heaving. It's still not that hard.

      You didn't crawl across a battlefield with your legs blown off, or watch as your 3rd child dies to smallpox, shit like THAT is hard, and in our sheltered little worlds we'll never get to experience it.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. The one I always liked was "the only easy day was yesterday." That knowledge, that whatever hardship you have to go through, will be over and then it won't be hard anymore, has been a nice strategy for managing stress and other issues. My current job has me doing 84 hours in a week, and that feels pretty rough, and then I just get a week off to do whatever. Haha.

      Delete
    5. Most of us are too afraid of being uncomfortable to do anything like this. So what if your feet are wet and cold, you aren't going to lose them. Deal with it. Half of success in any strength or endurance endeavor is just learning that uncomfortable is ok, you just have to deal with it and keep moving forward.

      Excellent read, as always.

      Delete
    6. Appreciate all the dialogue dudes. Always good to keep perspective.

      Delete
  2. Couldn’t agree more. I injured my right hand once while I was studying classical piano. My teacher assumed I’d take a few weeks off from lessons. Nope! I saw it as an opportunity to focus on my left hand as much as humanly possible and made tons of progress I wouldn’t have otherwise made. Fast forward ten years and I got injured at the gym. Used my piano experience to work harder than ever on some stuff I could still work on. Put intense focus on improving my core and posture. It’s been such a positive life change to have good posture and a stronger core.

    One of your best blog entries. Really hope people read this and enter the refusal mentality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated dude. I enjoyed writing this one. It's amazing how much music seems to carry over as well.

      Delete
  3. It seems to really rub people the wrong way when I tell I just find another way to train after finding out I got injured. Ripped my rear delt? I am going to do a mile of walking lunges, and Deadlift with a monster strap. Injured my lower back? Well you better believe I am smashing my upperbody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how legitimately upset people get whenever someone else finds a way. I dealt with the same static training around my ACL. You've done a fantastic job of overcoming dude, and that's such a valuable skill to have.

      Delete