Friday, March 5, 2021

HOW LONG HAVEN’T YOU BEEN TRAINING?

 What I’m writing about these days is most likely a reflection of the New Year’s season having rolled around and the variety of topics that tend to generate during that timeframe and, once again, I find many people seem to be approaching these topics from the completely wrong angle.  We’re in the third month of the new year as of my writing this, and now comes the season of disappointment, where trainees flock to the internet to try to find out “what am I doing wrong?”  “Guys, I’ve been training hard for TWO MONTHS, my nutrition is totally on point, I’m on the right program du jour written by the most current Mr Wonderful: why do I still look like 5 gallons of melted ice cream in a paper bag?”  These people, and the super helpful denizens on the internet ready to turn them on to the latest and greatest scientific studies out there fail to recognize the issue.  Let’s not focus on how long you’ve been training: let’s find out how long you HAVEN’T been training!



Sometimes it's more obvious than others


 

It is critical to discover how long one has been neglecting regular physical exercise, because “neglect” is the correct verb to employ here.  When one does not regularly exercise, they do not simply exist in a statue of neutrality: they exist in a state of active neglect. The body was intended to engage in some manner of activity and locomotion: it was NOT intended to be an agent of rest.  And yes: the survival mechanisms of the body PREFER that the body not be exerted, but that’s also because that same body was operating under the premise that EVENTUALLY AND REGULARLY some manner of physical activity would NEED to be engaged in, so it would seek to conserve energy when outside of those demands.  This is why naps and fatty foods are awesome and lettuce and running marathons suck.  HOWEVER, the modern lifestyle has made it such that these regular physical demands of seeking food, safety and shelter are non-existent, whereas meanwhile we are still conserving SO much energy…for what?

 

All your time spent NOT regularly training was no longer providing you the benefit of “resting for the kill” and, instead, was very much a detriment to your physical ability.  You effective dug yourself into a hole with every day you spent NOT engaging in regular exercise.  In turn, when you finally START engaging in regular exercise, you are not “starting from zero”: you are starting from NEGATIVE.  When you see someone on the street with a cardboard sign and you give them $20, they are now $20 in the black: when you find someone that’s $400k IN DEBT and give them $20, they STILL have no money.  Those of you that have been NOT exercising are in the latter category: your body is in physical DEBT, and each workout you do is simply paying off debt.  And you need to pay off that debt BEFORE you can start actually “making money”.



This is the level some of you need to aspire to GET to


 

And for many, this is a horrifying prospect, because some folks are in a LOT of debt.  Some folks have legitimately NEVER exercised for their entire life.  For people that grew up in my generation, it’s an unfathomable prospect, but it’s true.  Let’s remember that I was a fat kid growing up (I always specify I was “90s fat kid fat”, which was chubby/husky, vs current day fat kid fat, which is clinically obese with rolls), and from age 4-17 I participated in t-ball, soccer, swimming, ice hockey,, Tae Kwon Do, football, wrestling, and weight training, along with having regular physical education classes through middle and high school AND regularly engaging in physical play with my friends.  The REAL athletes were putting away MUCH crazier schedules than I was.  Meanwhile, I know of people that have reached the age of adulthood and have never run a mile in their life.  How much physical training do you think you’re going to need to do in order to undo 18 years of NOT training?

 

And this NEEDS to be discussed, because everyone normalizes their own upbringing to the point that they’re blind to just how weird it really is.  Similar to how, when you were a kid and visited someone elses’ house the first time it smelled “wrong” because it was different than your house and you wondered how these people can not notice how weird their home is, people that spent their whole adolescence (and young adulthood) NOT exercising just assume that’s the norm for everyone such that, when they start training and don’t see the incredible results that “everyone else is getting”, the gears start turning in all the wrong ways.  And the ONLY conclusion that is EVER drawn is one of genetics.  I’m lumping low testosterone in with that one as well, because they’re both effectively the same answer: it’s something outside of my control that I am cursed with that is totally unfair.  Look: if you wanna blame your parents for your physical shortcomings, blame them for not forcing you to go play a sport and not teaching you how to cook like a human: not for your DNA.  That’s still pretty weaksauce anyway, but at LEAST it’s closer to getting to the root cause of the issue.  The people you see blowing up in short order are the folks that started off at ZERO: you started off in debt.  Until you pay off that debt, you’re going to be behind the curve.



For reference, my parents taught me how to "make" these so I could have breakfast on weekends while they slept in...somehow I survived


 

This ALSO means that many “beginner prescriptions” aren’t going to work, because, again, this is such a WEIRD paradigm for most of us that are involved in the world of physical training that, when WE think of a beginner trainee, we think of a trainee that, though a beginner to lifting weights, aren’t a total beginner to simply exercising.  If you missed out on playing outside as a kid, you need to start playing outside as an adult.  And me saying this pisses off a LOT of REAL beginners, because the sheer aspect of playing a sport for 6 months before you actually start exercising offends people at some sort of basic primordial level and I get informed that I just don’t “get it” and that OF COURSE someone can just start lifting weights with no physical background whatsoever.  Inevitably, these dudes run a beginner program for 3 years, achieve a 70lb press, put on a bunch more bodyfat, can’t do a chin up, and start asking about running steroids.  If you spent your whole life NOT exercising, you need to get in shape BEFORE you can start exercising. 

 

All that time spent not exercising has resulted in you being sub-human: you need to get back to human before you go for super-human.

 

BONUS RANT

You know, the above was a great way to end the post, but let me just keep the fire going here.  Wanna know what’s cool about being someone that HASN’T stopped moving since they were a kid?  My body is ALWAYS ready to physically perform, because that is the “normal” for it.  It’s always BEEN moving, so it’s always ready TO move.  This is why I don’t need to do any mobility or stretching work, despite the entire internet ASSURING me that it’s THE most important part of training.  It’s why I can go from waking up to squatting in 5 minutes without some sort of elaborate voodoo ritual involving bands, balls, chains, floss, foam rollers, LAX balls, etc etc.  It’s why the only warm up I do in a strongman comp is 3 reps of the first implement without any weight on it before I say “this is stupid” and sit down.  Once again, people will boil this down to being simply “luck” or genetics or an instance where injury is JUST around the corner or that I’ll regret it one day, because these people can’t fathom a world where they never STOPPED moving.  There’s SO much benefit to regular and CONSISTENT exercise that you do yourself a grave and significant disservice whenever you stop engaging in it.

 

 

16 comments:

  1. Having turned 22 this year and being a late 90’s baby this portion of my generation still saw regular exercise growing up and my sisters don’t have their sons in any form of sport or exercise so whenever they come over for dinner I ensure that “Uncle JarJar” wrestles with them and gives them their own hypothetical WWE match of their tiny lives, they get super excited and once they’re exhausted they eat like mad and then sleep. Hopefully that will carry over into them desiring to do sports and workout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you for instilling that energy into them dude. Kids are great at adopting and normalizing stuff. This will go far.

      Delete
  2. The principle of debt build up applies in everyfield. Every second you spend not advancing means you are building up a debt that must be paid when you start to work. If you spend 30 years without picking up a book, reading one is a herculean task because of the debt you built up. It harkens back to the saying "if you're not getting better, you're getting worse". Life is a moving track and by standing on it, one moves in reverse. By walking slowly, one stays in place. Only by jogging, by effort, by paying off the debt one has built up, can we move past the starting point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well put dude. It's absolutely true. We're either getting better or we're dying.

      Delete
  3. What? I love naps. Naps are awesome. Great way to recover after a good workout and a big meal.


    And yeah, as someone who did martial arts since age 9, lifted in high school, always had physical jobs, I don't do any mobility work or stretching either. The whole concept just seems so strange to me, when people talk about it. One time I hit my opener cold and still got whites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, feel that naps are awesome. I even wrote that in the blog...

      Good to be able to hit an opener like that. Mind blowing to me how much people need to warm up.

      Delete
  4. You keep them coming... Sometimes I think to myself if only I could explain to other people what I am thinking right now and then comes an article from you and all my thoughts are written out in front of me... Simply great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude! That was originally a goal of the blog: to just have every argument already HAD so that you could just link people, haha.

      Delete
  5. It makes a lot of sense to me for people that are really out of shape to start with sports; them being fun and social makes it a lot easier too. Used to be a soccer goalie which made it so that I didn't have endurance. Picking up basketball when I was 15 really jumpstarted my fitness, because I had to run for 1.5 hour straight while doing pushups some times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been binging your content. It's been a bit of a wake-up call. What are your thoughts on the old "I'm getting stronger but not bigger?"

      Delete
    2. Hell yeah dude. It's amazing how many folks don't want to go play something. Moving the body through space will never go out of style.

      Delete
    3. Good to have you following along Ryan. I don't have any particular thoughts on that subject. If someone wants to get bigger, they need to eat more.

      Delete
  6. I've actually thought about this myself recently, and the gym closures have been a blessing in disguise, because instead of going 100% all in on something like 531, 5th set, doggcrapp etc and burning out after 2 months, I've taken the last 2-3 months to do lots of body weight exercises, running, sprinting, jumping etc.

    Basically treat the last 3 months as a huge conditioning phase, lost a bit of weight, and feel great! Now, I'm ready to do something like 1x20 for another few months and build into it, rather than jumping right into it!

    531 will also now actually be ran now with the jumping, sprinting and throwing added in rather than laughed at and then taken out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell yeah dude: why to get some good out of the situation!

      Delete
  7. I am a 20 year old that grew up as a huge introvert, never playing sports. I've been following your blog for a few months (great blog, by the way!), but I never exercised until one to two weeks ago. I have been doing knee pushups because I can't do normal ones, but I can feel myself getting closer and closer to being able. Based on that, do you think I would start feeling at least "normal" after only a few months, or do you think it would take much longer than that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I know you asked mythical, but I think my opinion could help you.
      I was in a very similar situation a few years ago. I spent most of my time playing video-games between age 13 and 20. I was completely out of shape and when I look at pictures of me from that period I did look almost anorexic.
      Someday I decided to change that and startet doing what you do right now. I did easy bodyweight-circuits 3 times a week (also had to start with knee push ups). Over the next 3 months I kept doing this and got small results (some decent push-ups, better stamina,...).
      Then I decided to join a kick-boxing gym, which was the best decision I ever made. See, the problem with being inactive for so long is that you dont know what real effort looks like, so when I thought that my home-workouts were pretty hard it was only because I didn´t know better.
      As soon as I startet working out with people who knew how to push themselves I got way better results much quicker.

      What I´m trying to get at is this: It´s great that you startet to work out on your own, because this is a great first step to become more healthy and active. But if you are worried about getting fast results, the easiest and most effectiv thing you can do is to get with people who know how to train with real effort.
      I know this might sound menacing for an introvert, especially because you probably feel insecurities about you fitness level (as I did), but the sooner you make that step the sooner you will get real results. Of course it doesn´t have to be martial arts, just find something you might like and try it.

      I hope you find this useful!

      Delete