Wednesday, October 27, 2021

BAD FORM BUILDS BIG MUSCLES/THE BROS WERE RIGHT ABOUT MUSCLE CONFUSION

  

If I may toot my own horn here, I constantly receive comments about my back.  Specifically, the size of it.  And if I may say, I think it’s a pretty impressive back.  


My good side: with a face for radio





What else do I constantly receive comments about?  How bad my form is on EVERYTHING.  



This video currently has WAY more thumbs down than up on youtube



My youtube channel is FULL of “helpful citizens” telling me that I need to improve my form on pressing, deadlifting, squatting, strongman lifts, snatches, cleans, etc etc.  Man…what an interesting relationship we’re observing here.  To quote Roger Alan Wade: “If you’re gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough”, which would actually be a pretty good title to this post, but I’m already in too deep.  Bad form is absolutely being “dumb” and, in that regard, the only possible way to survive it is to be tough, which the body does by getting big and strong.  And that’s going to drive SO many internet lifters crazy, but I am here to say that bad form is what makes you big and strong.

 

Talking about me again (oh boy, my favorite subject), I again refer to the point that I have “bad form” on lifts.  What does bad form necessarily mean?  Two things: form that is unsafe (which, in and of itself is a debatable idea) AND/OR form that is INEFFICIENT.  We’re focusing on that second part.  Efficiency is awesome when the goal is PERFORMANCE, because an efficient athlete wastes no energy and recruits as many muscles as possible into a movement to generate maximal force (power, exertion, whatever science term you wanna use).  When a powerlifter squats, they use the most efficient squat technique possible, minimizing bar path travel by keeping it as straight/short as possible and calling in every single muscle they can.  Hell, when they bench, they use leg drive: but isn’t bench a chest exercise?  And there’s where we start talking about training vs competition: when we compete, we want to be efficient, but when we train?  Efficiency is the enemy.


Dude missed his calling as a strength coach

 


Dan John has written about this as it relates to cardiovascular training, and we can continue to expand it.  When we get good at something, we get efficient at it, and, in turn, it becomes less challenging.  Remember Mariusz Pudzianowski gassing out in his early MMA career?  He was inefficient at fighting such that, even though he was in fantastic shape, he exhausted his conditioning reserves with wasted energy and inefficient movements.  Contrast him with Butterbean, who despite resembling a melting candle, could fight for far more rounds without showing signs of fatigue.  But who was getting a better workout?  When our goal is improvement, we NEED struggle, we NEED to gas out, we NEED exertion and exhaustion and fatigue.  Being good at something is the opposite of what we want if our goal is to generate a stimulus that results in growth, because we fall back on our refined skillset and use the least energy possible to accomplish the goal.  Talking about powerlifters again, note the technique employed in a meet compared to what you may view in a bodybuilding training session.  A bodybuilder will squat with a closer set stance, sometimes with the heels obscenely elevated and an elongated ROM, because they’re trying to be INefficient with their movement: because they want this movement to result in growth!

 

And so here we are: bad form results in big muscles.  And circling back to myself, when it comes to building a big and strong back, you could do no better than using some bad form.  If you clean a weight from the floor with a REAL, honest to goodness clean, you got some awesome hip pop into it with that triple extension and make fantastic use of all the explosiveness contained in your whole body.  When you yank it off the floor and hope for the best, that’s a LOT of back work.  No leg drive in your deadlifts?  Better have a strong back.  You good morning your squats?  Hope your back is up to the task.  To say nothing of if you use a safety squat bar and pull the handles down so that you round like hell.  The back (and glutes) is the workhorse of your body, and will gladly take on the load in situations wherein the other muscles fail to step up, primarily because the operator “forgot” to use them.  My back is big and strong because I rely on it so much to get things done, and this is where strongman, as a sport, REALLY shines.  In powerlifting or weightlifting, if I were to employ the technique I use, I’d most likely get “red lights” due to some sort of rule violation.  Strongman is very much “get the weight from A to B however you can”, which means I can rely on my back to carry me through.


There is a precedent here...

 


This principle doesn’t just relate to the back though: if you want some yoked shoulders and traps, stop being so goddamn good at getting weight overhead and start getting bad at it. In particular: quit trying to jerk the weight, quit trying to push press it, and quit trying to be so quick on the press: press the weight strictly, with no leg drive, over your head.  Geoff Capes and Bill Kazmaier were “rivals” in the early 80s of strongman, both dudes could be some decent weight overhead, Capes relied on the jerk and speed, Kaz relied on brute strength.  Of the two, guess which one looked jacked?  Check out the physiques of weightlifters in the era where the press was a contested lift vs after the fact, particularly the development of deltoids, traps and upper pecs.  Check out the physiques of professional strongman competitors vs those aforementioned weightlifters.  Etc.  “Bad form” is building bigger and stronger muscles here, because when we can’t rely on technique, we HAVE to rely on muscle.

 

Man this is getting long and I haven’t even really expressed what I wanted to say, but let’s talk muscle confusion while I’m already alienating people.  It works.  Does it work for the reasons people say it works?  Who cares: the point is, changing up your stimulus prevents you from getting GOOD at lifting, which, if your goal is to build muscle, is a GOOD thing, for everything I outlined above.  Once we start getting good, we start getting stagnant, but when we are ALWAYS struggling, we’re always growing.  John Meadows was famous for saying he never did the same workout twice, which frustrates a lot of “beat the logbook” dudes, but if your goal is to get bigger and stronger, the variable we aim for is exertion.  Yes, when it comes to lifting maximal poundages we want repeatable performances that can be measured against and evaluated, but when it comes to BUILDING that strength, we need lots and lots of struggling and floundering.

 

But not like that...


And before I sign off, remember: me writing about something working does NOT mean that the opposite DOESN’T work.  Can you get big and strong WITHOUT variation and bad form?  Sure.  Mike Tuchscherer is famous for sticking with just the competition lifts and VERY close variations of it and just manipulating the training volume.  In turn, the first time I saw Mike in person, he was the biggest human I’d ever seen in my life and had a physical presence that just consumed the room.  There are jacked weightlifters and powerlifters that only do the competition lifts.  It certainly works.  BUT, the opposite is ALSO true: if you want to get big and strong from weird angles in stupid ways, bad form will get you there. 

13 comments:

  1. I always say people really just confuse form with technique.

    Like, not even two different powerlifters have the same "form", so to speak. Or, rather, technique in this case, and form being simply what grants white lights.

    I'm happy that the competition lifts can be good enough because I have never been able to figure out anytjing besides squats that can actually blow up my legs.

    That +2 to squats and however I modified it had me sore for about 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People just want the easiest way out. Far simpler to just comment on how something LOOKS vs what something does. The latter requires experience and nuance, and who has time for that? Haha.

      Delete
  2. This pretty much explains all of Westside's exercise rotation, both in the big stuff and the accessory work. Once your body has spent some weeks adapting to a certain stimulus, kick it in the metaphorical teeth with something else.




    Love the point about Mike T.

    There's a quote when Jamie Lewis interviewed Bud Jeffries on Chaos and Pain/Plague of Strength that's always stuck with me: "Learn to problem solve and do what fits you in the context of what you need to do."

    I feel like that describes Mike Tuscherer's approach really well. Dude would have excelled at most any sport he chose to conquer because of how analytical he was about it. He just happened to choose a sport that required you to be big, strong, and efficient, to be the best in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Westside makes SO much more sense the more experience you get. It's mystical when you're brand new, but you get further along and it's "duh"...but that's the point. Someone figured it out so that it all makes sense.

      Mike is such a cerebral lifter. Chatting with him was always mind blowing.

      Delete
  3. > Talking about me again (oh boy, my favorite subject)

    To fit in with all the nerds concerned about your form (potential post title as well?) there's a great quote from Terrell Owens: "I know y'all don't want me to shine, but Imma shine anyway! Cause I love me some me! Believe that!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look how asymmetric this chump's incline press is at 15:15, I'm sure he's never gonna make it

    https://youtu.be/82ovWoZ1gGI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay like usual when I read a blog post of yours, I have a lot to take out of this. Been trying to figure out my technique recently with squats but realise I dont need to figure anything out other then why I havent been putting more weight on the bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's outstanding dude. That'll carry you far.

      Delete
  6. Just letting it all go has been a big help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely dude. Put in effort and there's no way you won't get strong.

      Delete
  7. A year after I started lifting I came to conclusion that worrying about form is usually just a way of compensating for general weakness. A great example for this is the press. I never did exaggerated "putting the head through" that most people preach, yet I had no problem linearly progressing past one plate for reps. Meanwhile keyboard warriors are obsessing with form yet they "stall" at low weights simply because the idea of just bracing hard and pressing the weight straight up with sheer strength is abhorrent to them. The press is not some complicated movement, it's primitive and all about STRAINING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% dude! It upsets people so much, but if you just put in the effort and the time, you're gonna make it. Most people want to compromise on 1 or both of those things, haha.

      Delete