Thursday, June 1, 2023

NUTRITIONAL ALCHEMY: "THE NUTRITION POST" PART II

Alchemy: not science.  Which is liberating.  This is how I’m eating BECAUSE IT WORKS, and it works because I am BENDING REALITY TO MY WILL.  And, because of that, things actually make sense.  Go solipsism.  I wanted to get this down in one spot, because it’s been dribs and drabs all over the place, and even then there’s going to be nuance left behind and things forgotten, but through the chaos I believe I’ve actually identified some sort of system.  For you DnD Nerds, this is sorcery or warlockery rather than wizardry.  



It's absolutely amazing this book exists...and it's totally on my bookshelf


And let me just go on to say: it works.  Here's 25lbs down in 3 months, from 2 Mar to 2 Jun, with ZERO intention or effort in losing fat




*BIG PICTURE STRUCTURE*


Its simple really

* Currently employing a phasic approach to nutrition, stolen by Jamie Lewis’ “Feast, Famine and Ferocity” diet.  There are phases WITHING phases, which I absolutely love, but for the BIG structure: 2 weeks of “Famine”, 4 weeks of “Feast”, 6 week block in general, which fits right in with Dan John’s “everything works for 6 weeks” and Jim Wendler’s 6 week blocks of 5/3/1….and the 6 weeks of Super Squats…and Mass Made Simple.  Folks: 6 weeks HAS significance in the world of training.  It’s the “40 days” you see in the Bible.  We should be attention to why 6 weeks is important.

 

* “Famine” is a period of restricted calories and food in general.  In the most IDEAL Famine, it’s PURE protein shakes (Metabolic Drive shakes with water).  Will flesh that out soon.  During “Feast”, it’s more food, which means fewer shakes are NEEDED, but they’re not restricted for the sake of restriction.  If there is a desire or need for shakes, they can be consumed, but, ideally, more food is eaten instead.

 

* No transition phases: go straight from the Feast into the Famine.  But I’ve taken to ramping up the Feast as I go, vs feasting to the maximal extent.  Details to follow.

 

* As for “phases within phases”, stealing from “Apex Predator”, calories are ideally waved through the week, rather than kept static, to include a “Rampage Day” once a week, and otherwise adding when and subtracting based on training demand.  Moreso during feast than famine.

 

*SOME PRINCIPLES*


And it's never lupus

 


* Protein Leveraging: There’s a LOT of information out there regarding the magical qualities of protein, and many authors have discussed it, to include the aforementioned Jamie Lewis, Mark Bell of Slingshot fame, and of course the good folks at T-Nation/Biotest, with articles like https://forums.t-nation.com/t/the-contrary-diet/282403 with the passage “Turning protein into body fat, however, is an entirely different type of challenge. It takes several biochemical and hormonal steps, and it’s monitored closely by the liver, which metes out amino acids according to the body’s metabolic needs (tissue breakdown, tissue synthesis, catabolism, anabolism, etc.).” as a prime example.  We were off the mark when we said it took more calories to digest celery than it provided, but when it comes to protein, we’re a bit closer there: digesting protein is a thermogenic process in and of itself, which can mean that, though protein might be “4 calories per gram”, when we consume it, we effectively receive 1.4 calories worth of energy, having used the rest just to digest it.  THEN, when we factor in that protein has the effect of SPARING muscle in a deficit and growing it in a surplus AND that protein tends to be a satiating food, I am willing to consider “pure protein” as a “free food” in my nutrition.  Is that scientific?  Who cares: this is alchemy!  What this means as an alchemist is that, irrespective of where I am in a nutrition phase, if I eat pure protein, it’s a non-entity.  This will come into play as I discuss the nutritional phases.  It’s worth appreciating that about the only real “pure protein” FOOD source out there (for my consideration) is egg whites, so that’s my go to for protein leveraging, BUT piedmontese grassfed sirloin or some chicken tenderloins can qualify in a pinch.  I’m legit looking for a rating of “0g fat, 0g carbs, Xg protein” on a nutrition label, fully appreciating that there WILL be trace amounts of carbs and fats and that it IS, in theory, possible to consume enough to violate the intended benefit of protein leveraging…but in practice, SINCE protein is satiating, one tends to reach satiety before overeating is a concern. 

 

* Carnivore/Animal Based: Tying into the above: any FOOD (which is to say, non-Metabolic Drive product) that is consumed is animal.  Since “carnivore” is technically flesh eating, I say “animal” here because I permit myself dairy and eggs, as they are the PRODUCT of animals.  However, I do not permit myself honey, despite the fact it is produced by animals.  Some folks handle it well, but I still need to keep carbs low.  But, if it’s meat, or if it’s dairy or eggs, when I’m eating food: it’s permitted.  It’s worth discussing that I treat dairy more like a dessert or condiment vs a food.  Sour cream and butter are the “sauces” I use for foods, cheese is a topper onto meat OR a dessert (cottage cheese is f—king delicious), I’ll add some cream to coffee primarily just to add fats.  In general, meat and eggs make up the primary, and dairy is “in addition”.

 

* Speaking a bit more to the sauces: I try to avoid increasing the palatability of food in general.  Limited seasonings, sauces, marinades, etc.  I actually take the time to wash these things off of meat if it comes pre-packaged.  The truth is: food is ALREADY delicious, it doesn’t need dressing up, and if it DOES: I’m not gonna eat it.  My body knows what it wants, and it’s going to want those things, and I’m going to eat the things I want.  I’m not going to trick/deceive my body into eating something.  This also prevents overeating.  Considering I’m stupidly lean right now, that doesn’t really seem to be a big concern, but given that I AM stupidly lean, maybe it’s BECAUSE I’m not overeating, because I’m not making an effort to increase the palatability of my food.  I will eat as much as I want, I will no longer limit myself ARTIFICIALLY (walking away from food still hungry) BUT I’m also not going to eat when I’m not hungry simply because the food is yummy.  When I’m done eating: I’m done eating.  If I’m still hungry, I will eat REAL food until I am not.

 

* Ya know what: I’m gonna flesh that out even more (this is really becoming my opus here).  Know what I’m NOT going to do?  Make carnivore pizza, or carnivore brownies, or bake carnivore bread, or do any of that stuff.  I fell for that very trap with keto.  This is fake food.  There’s no need to eat it.  Real food is amazing enough, and there’s enough joy to be had from it that it doesn’t need transformation.  If there is something I’m eating that I’m not enjoying, I’m going to stop eating it: I’m NOT going to process it into something it’s not supposed to be.  If I really want pizza: I’ll have pizza.  Meat needs no apology.



 


* Speaking a bit more to Carnivore: with my work/life structure, I work weekdays and have weekends with the family.  In turn, I tend to have a more shake-based approach to nutrition during the week and, during the weekend, make an effort to stay as Carnivore as possible.  If given the choice between a shake or egg whites: I’ll eat the egg whites.  I seem to just REALLY thrive when I’m eating more and more animals, and it’s just socially healing to EAT meals with family vs drink them.  I also just plain appreciate the challenge of trying to comply to a set of artificial constraints as hard as I can, and forcing myself to “stay carnivore” fosters creativity.  So looking at my dietary structure: Carnivore and Rampage Weekends (holy cow, that sounds pretty cool), Apex Predator/Velocity Diet Weekdays.

 

* Rampage/Carb-Refeed: Over the years, I have found that I have zero issues complying 100% with a no-carb diet.  I can easily just cut them out of my life and be fine.  I don’t have cravings.  BUT, I’ve also found, time and time again, that WHEN I include regularly scheduled cheat meals (not PRECISELY scheduled, but as in “one day this week I’ll have a cheat meal” vs “it’ll happen when it happens”), everything just works “better” for me.  I get leaner, bigger, perform better, etc.  I’ve always gotten my leannest when I included these, and when I EXCLUDED them, I would always be flat and hold a little extra fluff.  To say nothing of the social benefit of being out with good company enjoying good food and good times.  To say nothing of the ability to maintain “metabolic flexibility”, wherein my gut-biome gets semi-regular exposure to a variety of foods/stimulus and doesn’t get too dialed in.  And these days I’m in a place where I DON’T binge eat when given junk food, primarily because my current way of eating actually allows me to thrive and eat to satiety foods I like in general.  So, with THAT preamble established, we have what Jamie Lewis dubbed “The Rampage” in his Apex Predator Diet, what others will call cheat meals, and what some can call refeeding.  Skip Hill also had “Skip Loading”, which he took from “Sh-t loading”, Justin Harris employs carb cycling, as did Shelby Starnes, but with these schools of thought you’re taking individuals that are already carb adapted, so a refeed tends to require a full DAY of high carb meals in order to top off glycogen, as they don’t have near the sensitivity to carbs that I do.  But alongside that, I have to make a concentrated effort to actually EAT CARBS at these refeeds, because I flat out love eating animals, and if given the choice, I’ll binge eat fried chicken before pizza if you give me a “unlimited junk food” option.  And because of all these benefits, there is a Rampage Day irrespective of diet phase: famine or feast. 

 

* Just to give a bit more detail to the Rampage (it honestly is probably worth its own section), before I have my Rampage meal, I make it a policy to have a Metabolic Drive shake.  This allows me to not worry about ensuring I’m getting enough protein in the meal, and can really just lean into the carbs (French fries and pasta are on the menu boys!  Don’t need to chase down the buffalo wings), and will help create a natural governor for the meal.  I’m not terribly concerned about overeating, as it’s somewhat the point, but as I demonstrated with my taking on of the Stellanator, I DO have a prodigious appetite and CAN put away a monstrous amount of food if given the opportunity, and it’s good to have SOME sort of check in place.  Otherwise, I operate off a premise of “am I still INTERESTED in food” when I’m in the Rampage.  Buffets are ideal for Rampages, and after I’ve eaten quite a bit, I’ll cruise the line again and see if anything actually looks GOOD to eat.  If not: the meal is done.  I’m not going to eat just for the sake of eating, nor am I going to eat just for the sake of feeling full/stuffed.  But if I’m enjoying the food: I’ll eat it.  And, typically, once this meal is done, I’m done eating for the day.  This isn’t out of nutritional martyrdom or a punishment or anything like that: I legit tend to eat enough at this meal that I don’t have any hunger for the rest of the day.  Which is why this is ideally a midday meal, OR, even better, a breakfast or brunch, as in the case of the latter I might be able to get in one more meal at the end of the day.  When I ate the Stellanator, it had to be at night, per the challenge, and it threw me off for a full day.

 

* Aside from that Rampage, whenever possible, I endeavor to consume the highest quality foods I can eat.  Grassfed beef, pasture raised eggs/chickens, grassfed dairy, humanely raised animals or wild game, animals that eat their natural diets, etc etc.  If I’m putting it in my body, it should be high quality, and these animals gave their lives for me: I’d like them to have been treated well for that sacrifice.  BUT, I’m also not going to be a nutritional martyr here.  If what I’m served is a grainfed steak, I will be thankful for that food as well.  If it’s a McDonalds burger patty, I will eat it graciously. 

 

*STRUCTURE AND INTENT OF “FAMINE”*

 

Beyond employment opportunities!  


* The most ideal compliance of Famine would be Velocity Diet 1.0: nothing but Metabolic Drive shakes all day.  Jamie prescribes 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, split between 4-6 shakes, whereas V diet tends to be a bit higher in protein/calorie total.  Still using Flameout for healthy fats, Superfood for nutrients, and a variety of other supplements for general health/performance, but as far as baseline nutrition goes, this is “Famine”.  For me, I try for ONE of these days a week during the 2 days of Famine, and typically it’ll be the day after the Rampage day, functioning effectively as a metabolic reset.  The body responds best to hard, dramatic pivots, so a day of large calorie intake followed by a rapid and sharp drop in food forces it to scramble and come up with a solution. Also, just based off my weekly schedule, my Rampage day is typically Sunday, and on Mondays my wife teleworks and I don’t see her for lunch, so that’s one meal I can make into a shake.  If I’m running late for work or she’s traveling, it’s another shake I can have instead of a meal.

 

* I’m willing to consider “egg whites mixed with Metabolic Drive” to functionally be a shake, as far as the above goes, and have used it as a pivot to meet the Famine structure while still having “meals”.  This is beneficial from the “Family Man” perspective, as I can make egg whites and protein into a few different permutations of “real food”, like oatmeal, soups, muffins, etc.  Egg whites are essentially pure protein, and play into protein leveraging just fine.  I’ll discuss my use of the a bit more in depth here.

 

* Outside of my 1 “high compliance day” per week, in periods of famine, my protein sources are as lean as possible.  I have a freezer full of piedmontese grassfed steak tips, which boast 1.5g of fat for 26g of protein in a 4oz serving, which is bonkers, but I can go even leaner if I’m so inclined by eating their sirloin, which is given a listing of ZERO grams of fat per 4oz serving.  I’ll pair this alongside egg whites, to satisfy my insatiable desire to always eat “steak and eggs” whenever possible while still meeting the intent of the famine.  Other options would include chicken tenderloins, all prepared without cooking oils/butter/etc.  Certain fish is fine as well, you get the point: cuts of animal with as little fat as possible.  This is the protocol for lunches, and if I can work it into our family dinners I’ll do that too, but if I end up eating fattier meats in the evening, it’s not something I worry about.  I make sure not to OVEReat, and tend to do so by having egg whites as my go to sides for my meals.  A LOT of fluffy egg whites can be quite filling alongside some chicken thighs. 


Works for this guy!

 

* All training days during Famine are performed fasted.  I DO have a shake in the middle of the night, but no food upon waking.

 

* As far as intent goes: the Famine is honestly cleansing and preparatory for me.  It’s funny: I never considering myself as one for “fasting”, but this IS a “protein sparring modified fast”, and I actually do feel benefits from that.  When I made the hard pivot from Super Squats style of eating to Velocity Diet, it was amazing how GOOD I felt from NOT eating food and just giving my guts a break, and that’s what tends to happen during the initial period of Famine.  It’s a good break after heavy eating, and it primes me to be able to resume that lifestyle when the time comes.  It allows me to maintain a passion for food by providing the necessary duality/dichotomy of a period of caloric restriction WITH a clear and defined end state.  Knowing that it’s only 2 weeks of Famine makes it so much more sustainable than an indefinite period of dieting, and coming out of the Famine I am lean but also flat and ready to soak up nutrients.

 

*STRUCTURE AND INTENT OF “FEAST”*


 

Oh come on: you'd at least give it a try right?


* I still tend to include a “high compliance” Velocity Diet day during the Feast, and it follows the day after the Rampage Meal, but for the most part this is more about eating to hunger signals than anything else.  I want to create hunger so I can eat to satiate it, and I tend to not have much of it after a Rampage.  I’m willing to break protocol more though, with this being feast, so I might have egg whites upon waking so I’m not training totally fasted, or if there’s a lunch opportunity, I’ll take it.

 

* Meat is fattier during this time, and ideally off the bone.  Chicken drumsticks/wings, ribs, bone in chops, etc.  I also tend to pack a snack of 2 whole eggs, that I eat in the afternoon at work.

 

* I ramp up over these 4 weeks, rather than just shotgun blast at the start and hold firm.  Similar to what Dan John outlines in “Mass Made Simple” by introducing a new addition each week.  Subtle changes, like a half scoop more protein in each shake, extra egg white here and there, more meat at lunch, etc. 

 

* If I’m hungry, I’m going to eat until I’m not.  During Famine, I’ll tolerate hunger until “the next meal”, following a bit more of a structure, but here, if it’s earlier than “lunch time” and I’m hungry: I’ll have lunch.  Often, I find it sorts itself out anyway, and I end up eating less in the later meals.

 

* As far as intent: eating to grow, gain, and support hard heavy training. Simple enough.  This also is a “metabolism builder”.  Justin Harris among other have spoken about how long periods of restricted calories will establish a low-baseline metabolism, which absolutely sucks, as you’re in a state where you cannot eat much food without putting on bodyfat, which limits the ability to take in nutrients.  Having a higher set point allows for greater intake of food, which means more nutritional opportunities. 

 

---

 

Man, this grew huge, and I feel like I have even more to say on the subject, but this is a good enough stopping point for now. I write all this down because, right now, at this moment in time, I’ve never felt or performed better, nor have I been in a better headspace.  I am the lightest, leanest, and strongest I’ve ever been, and I am NOT sacrificing to get here.  I am eating and living EXACTLY how I want, and it’s allowing me to BE exactly WHO and WHAT I want to be.  I’m hoping that laying it all out there can help those in need. 

 

6 comments:

  1. An excellent write up, and one I'll be coming back to more than once to really study and digest. I really appreciate the effort you put into documenting this, Mythical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for that man! I have so much more to say too! This is just so life changing for me.

      Delete
  2. I'm curious, with your newfound focus on an animal-based diet relying heavily on meat, and your preference for ethically sourced foods, do you hunt at all? And if not, have you considered that? It seems like a natural next step for your diet/life philosophy, although it obviously is a huge step to take with a massive time commitment to it. I actually have no idea how one would start out if you didn't know anyone to bring you along either, haha.

    Anyways, just curious. It can be a weird subject to talk about and think about (fwiw I'm a city boy with zero experience hunting and minimal desire to try it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the dialog man! I don't hunt, primarily because I am not a good shot. I think hunting is outstanding, I love hunters, I have many in my family, I fully support them (and have game meat in my freezer from hunts), but I respect the animal enough that I'd want to give them a clean, quick death, and I can't guarantee that right now with my skillset. It might be something I get into when I retire and can dedicate more time toward refining my abilities there.

      I DO play to my skillset though, and have offered to go half in with hunters where they do the shooting and I drag the carcass out of the woods, haha.

      Delete
  3. When you say that you didn't focus on fat loss at all, what about the calorie cycling you were doing. What I mean is, the diet protocol calls for saving your calories for the evening but eating a lighter meal for lunch. So you would have to psychologically save calories for the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find that the diet protocol calls for saving calories at all. At no point am I undereating during the day so I can overeat at night. I do not feel hunger/hungry during the day. I am satiated. And at night, I eat until I am done.

      My dude, if you are being hungry during the day, my heart goes out to you. That's no way to live.

      Delete