Monday, September 17, 2018

A CELEBRATION OF OBSTINACY: ARTHUR SCHOPENHAUER AND TRAINING




Boy do I feel sorry for you, because I’ve had the chance to do some more reading and how you get to hear about it. In Schopenhauer’s “Parerga and Paralipoema”, he touches on many interesting themes, but today I’ll discuss two quotes of particular interest.  The first is that “when will crowds out knowledge, the result is ‘obstinacy’.”  In understanding Schopenhauer’s writing, one must know that he viewed will as the primary motivator of action, rather than reason, and in turn viewed knowledge as the sole agent humanity possessed that could possibly elevate them above the power of will in order to achieve something greater.  Schopenhauer prized knowledge, the pursuit of it, and the possession of it, and constantly berated those that were content to let others think for them, rather than to think for themselves.  HOWEVER, also of interesting note is Schopenhauer’s quote in regards to the play between religion and knowledge, stating “Either believe or philosophize!  Whichever you choose, choose whole heartedly.  But to believe up to a certain point and no farther, and to philosophize up to a certain point and no farther – this is the half-heartedness…” after which point he is going on to attack a following of religion known as Rationalism.  Here, we observe that, even in the man who prized knowledge, there exists a celebration of obstinacy, for even in he who would rather be an agent of intelligence than an agent of will, he would much rather be completely one or the other than a lukewarm amalgamation of the two.  So how about you?

Image result for game of thrones heart eat
I wanted a "heart pun" photo, but didn't want to post the original in case people accidentally mistook my blog for "Chaos and Pain"

If we review the choice of philosophy or religion, Schopenhauer attested that BOTH were manners of arriving at fundamental truths: it was simply different packaging.  To note, Schopenhauer felt philosophy was for those that could understand truth without allegory, while religion was more for those of lacking intellect that required a medium to grasp these notions.  Feel as offended as you need at this point, but understand that there was still an acknowledgement in that both paths lead to the same goal, and both paths were IF followed in their entirety without attempting to stray down the other path.  The same holds true in training.  People constantly lament that there is “SO MUCH INFORMATION” out there, and that everything contradicts everything else and they don’t know what to do, but they fail to understand that all this indicates is that there are MANY ways to succeed.  On my goodness so many ways.  For diet alone, there is low carb, high carb, high fat, keto, paleo, atkins, RPT, vertical, etc etc.  For training, this is HIT, high volume, low volume, low frequency, 5/3/1, Juggernaut, Westside, etc etc.  THEY ALL WORK.  But they all work ON THEIR OWN.  Contained in their own rulesets, following their own prescriptions, they work.  It’s when you become the bespoken “rationalists” of Schopenhauer’s time that you get all the negatives and none of the positives.

Quit trying to play systems against each other in order to find some sort of ultimate hybrid with nothing but positives, because you will continue to get the negatives.  If you are a lifter that responds very well to highly cerebral training, go ALL IN with that stuff.  Learn about RPEs and MRVs and tempo speeds calculated with a piece of string tied to a bar and band tension and advanced calculus.  If that gets you going, go for it.  Then why do I mock it so much?  Because I’m the opposite, and I’m ALL IN for the opposite.  I AM a willpower based lifter, who cares more about testing myself and doing dumb crap that I have absolutely no business doing and biting off more than I can chew and beating myself into the ground just to see if I can recover.  And it works, because I don’t try to stray out of my lane and go and see if I can explain any of this with science.  Just as much as you shouldn’t slap a 100 rep dropset onto your precision calculated training plan, because you’ll definitely wreck yourself.  Find one way and commit to it fully.          

Image result for squatting on a bosu ball
I mean, at least he did that...

In truth, this playing of systems against each other is simply yet another creative way to be lazy and weak.  People will find a method that has succeeded MANY times.  The empirical evidence is ever present.  But, before they decide to commit to it, they find some sort of way to question and invalidate it, so that they don’t have to actually work hard and suffer.  I rag on the keto diet, because I think it’s dumb to follow a diet intended to stop seizures if you don’t suffer from the affliction, but I have to admit that it works.  If you comply with it, it will be effective.  But that’s the thing: compliance with it actually REALLY sucks.  You have to be in a goddamn state of ketosis, you have to eliminate a LOT of carbohydrates from your diet, you have to prepare food in advance, etc etc.  That’s too much work!  Much easier to just clash keto against some study that says you need carbs, and then, PHEW, now you don’t have to follow it.  Same with how 20 rep squats doesn’t have the optimal amount of volume.  Dodged THAT bullet.  Training every day is TOO MUCH volume now?  Good, because that sounded hard too.  It’s much better to just explain away all training methods and diets by contrasting them against each other and never actually having to commit vs finding your “faith” and pursuing it fully.

And in this, I celebrate obstinacy, because I wish for my will to crowd out my knowledge.  I was once the opposite, and I tried to justify everything intellectually and “know” all there was to know about training…and I failed hard.  I failed everything, because I could never get my knowledge to match the output of material that was there.  I couldn’t get smart enough, FAST enough, because as soon as I’d “learn” something, something new would come out and challenge what I thought I knew, and my “faith” would be shook, and I’d spiral and make no progress.  I had to come to terms with the fact that I simply wasn’t as smart as I thought I was.  Whereas others could philosophize, it appeared that I needed “religion”.  I just needed something I could believe and shut off my brain and just let the truth happen irrespective of my actual understanding of it.  I let my will overcome my knowledge, and became an agent of obstinacy, refusing to let new knowledge get in the way of my pursuit of my goals. 


6 comments:

  1. Are you familiar with Henry Bugbee at all? I was not until our reading in my Ethics of Sport Coaching course this week, and having read this blogpost and now the chapter from his text, I think you'll like this too. He swung against foundationalism but didn't want to be lumped in with pragmatism or transcendentalism and wrote his main ideas around "experientialism" and seeking meaning tied to experience and on "felt clarity" rather than analytical clarity. “I seriously doubt if the notion of ‘certainty of,’ or ‘certainty that’ will take us accurately to the heart of the matter. It seems to me that certainty is at least very much akin to hope and faith.” He emphasizes attentiveness and interaction with "wilderness," which he defines as natural wilderness as well as just the surroundings that humans are immersed in, to create knowledge. Bugbee also seems to consider knowledge only useful insofar as it leads to action. “I am not content with what I have worked out; but I have worked out enough, perhaps, to be content to consider more carefully as I move along, and to welcome all manner of thinking other than my own.” He emphasizes a few times the need to presume that you are 100% correct in your beliefs, so you can act accordingly, and then revise as you go. Move forward as though you are correct, while accepting the fact that you could be mistaken or your beliefs could change in the future.

    Some similar notes in your writings and our conversations on lifting.

    Get enough knowledge only so that you are able to act. Then, act with confidence based on that info. Then, revise and adjust should you find yourself to be inaccurate. Your own n=1 experience matters more than someone else's theoretical knowledge.

    WR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, that's a fantastic piece of work there. Never read from the author before, but already appreciate the work. We tend to call it the 880% solution in my work, and I imagine we're not unique in that regard, but yeah, enough of a plan that you can make forward motion and then revise, adapt and update as needed. An 80% plan today is better than a perfect plan too late.

      That confidence is HUGE too. Way too many people want to know everything before they act, and they just never get to act. Gotta fake it till you make it sometimes.

      Thanks for sharing that!

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you enjoyed it too. The textbook chapter that contained a lot of his work and quotes was around creating a coaching philosophy. The Bugbee connection was that you can only brainstorm and postulate about coaching philosophies for so long before you just. have. to. try. it. Create your best plan, try it out with confidence in your work, and then revise and adjust as needed. Like how many people are JUST ABOUT to write their screenplay or Great American novel, but they put it off while they read more or think more instead of just putting pen to paper and seeing what happens? I enjoyed the idea and appreciate "experientialism" being a term that we can use or have in mind for the concept.

      WR

      Delete
  2. Definitely a solid term. I also see i wrote "880%" vs "80%" in my above post, which is kinda where a lot of people WANT to be before acting, haha. One of my favorite quotes from a mentor of mine was a Klingon proverb (yes, of Star Trek fame) "In battle, make a decision. If it is a good one: even better."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favourite Star Trek quotes is Data's "One's reach should always exceed one's grasp". I think it transfers well to training.
      Jen

      Delete
    2. A fantastic quote indeed. A lot of good quotes coming out of the show.

      Delete