Monday, September 3, 2018

STRENGTH TE CHING: UNSPEAKABLE STRENGTH



With my philosophy background and propensity to be smartass, it most likely surprises none of my regular readers to know that I was a total pain in the ass during my undergrad years.  During a course on Asian philosophy, we started reading the Tao Te Ching, which opens with “The Tao that can be spoken of is not the true Tao”.  I asked my professor, “If this is true, will you give me an A if I turn in my test with nothing written on it?”  In fairness, my professor told me that, if she had tenure, she would totally live up to that.  Anyway, I open with that story because, as promised, inspiration struck while I was on a cruise and I wanted to share with you all.

First, let me just say that my life is a constant source of comedy despite my best intentions, and though I am incredibly misanthropic, for some reason humans seem to like ME.  This cruise proved to be no exception, as one of the staff members took a liking to me early in the cruise.  He was a fit gentlemen, and on the first day made comment in regards to my physique.  Later in the cruise, he asked if I had worked out on the ship’s gym, and what I thought of it.  Another time after that, he asked if I competed.  On the final day, he asked me if I could write a program for him.  Apparently, this was something he often did with cruise members that he thought seemed exceptionally fit.  Before I go any further, yes, I’m fully aware of the man-crush this gentlemen had on me, you don’t need to bring it to my attention.  Anyway, this is a 2 paragraph intro into the main crux of what I want to write here, because despite the fact that I’ve been writing 1000 words a week for almost 6 years now, I went back to my room, stared at a blank piece of paper for 30 minutes, and came up with nothing.

Image result for filibuster
I know this is what this intro seems like, but stick with me

How is this possible?  Everything I’ve written up until this point is all stream of consciousness.  I’ve NEVER been at a shortage for words.  Sure, many times it’s the same idea already written before simply expressed in a different manner, but it’s still new words and a few small new ideas.  Where did all that inspiration go?  Well what can I say folks, you found me out: I’m a charlatan.  I write about concepts, notions and ideas, because THOSE are easy to expand upon.  But when it came time to put down how I train, in a manner that someone else can use it…I came up empty.  Yeah, I coulda just wrote “Do 5/3/1” or “Buy the Deep Water book”, but when asked to come up with MY OWN program, I just couldn’t do it.

Folks, how can you put training into words?  Not the mechanics of it, but the real actual HUMAN element of training?  How can that possibly be captured into a spreadsheet?  This isn’t a formula, this is poetry.  It’s art.  And I don’t say that in a manner to convey pretentiousness, in an attempt to elevate it “beyond” numbers, but more to express how, with training, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  A poem is just words arranged in an order and usually to a rhyme scheme, however the effect of a poem (at least a good one) is that it stirs emotions, thoughts, feelings, and memories in the reader.  It evokes, and it makes the words resonate on a personal level.  Each person experiences the poem differently.  The same is true of art.  Sure, colors, shapes, patterns, but the EFFECT of the art is in the human.  Mere words aren’t enough to capture this, they simply provide the liaison between the creator and the recipient, and the same is true of training.

Image result for magic eye mallrats
Some people end up not experiencing the art at all

A training program may end up being just some numbers and words, but if executed as thought that is ALL that a training program is, the results become incredibly lackluster.  Not captured in those words and numbers is the effort, the intensity, the aggression, the overcoming, the fighting through injury, pain, discomfort, and fear.  I can write you a program that says “1 topset of 10 squats”, but not captured in that statement is the notion that “You’re going to think it’s time to rack the bar at rep 5.”  The program might say “Lift 4 days a week”, but not captured in that is “irrespective of schedule, sickness, pain, injury, or sleep depravation”.  Nowhere in your excel sheet will you find “you’re going to be in pain the whole workout”, nowhere is it expressed “you’ll most likely think you’re going to get injured, keep pushing”.  How does one capture “Take the disappointment you feel in having not yet reached your true potential and channel that into the spirit needed to get through this next set, and the next workout, and the next decade?”  This intensity simply cannot be captured and expressed in words, it must simply be understood without knowing.

And as such, I’m hesitant to write a program, because I cannot ensure that what I’ve written will in turn be what is received by the reader, which means the effectiveness cannot necessarily be captured.  And a reader who “follows the program” and does not see the same results as the author will immediately claim it is the author who is at fault for writing an ineffective program, rather than a reader being at fault for following an effective program ineffectively.  In turn, when faced with this task, I will admit that I floundered.  I did not submit a program, but instead merely some training ideas that could be implemented into an already established program.  “Running the rack”, and using it for leg press, dumbbell press, curls, etc.  Mechanical Advantage Dropsets with the incline bench.  “As few sets as possible” for rep totals with pull ups.  Etc etc.  All effective techniques, all ideas that get to the notion of how I train, but nothing that quite fully grasps exactly how I approach training.  And why?

Because I write about notions, ideas and concepts.  Just like today. 

6 comments:

  1. What was this guy's fitness knowledge, and level of fitness in general? I keep picturing a guy who doesn't put a lot of effort into things and is thinking that the best program will shortcut all of that, and that the baddest, biggest, fittest guy must have the best program, and that if he just emulates that program, he also becomes the baddest, biggest, fittest person?

    Although it seems that the best program is one that people actually stick with and has metrics to improve on over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idea what his fitness knowledge was. I didn't spend much time engaging him in conversation. He seemed like he was in good shape. Muscular and lean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that it looks like he puts effort in.

      Glad to know the cruise was a blast. I have only done a few in my life and most of ghost were coming up to Alaska.

      "And I write about notions, ideas and concepts."

      And the best part is, you're free to use!

      Delete
  3. Hey, somewhat of a weird and random question but, I rememeber when I had access to free weights, I would load up the bar and do t-bar rows, and there didn't seem to be an end to the amount of weight I could do. Like I just advanced quickly on these. Yet despite all that, I could never do a chin up.

    Now, with the heaviest weight I have being an 80lb kettlebell, and being able to do rows in each hand for a set of 8 then a set of 4 now, I suddenly am able to hit about 3 chin ups now, and built up from doing a few singles, and later a single and a double.

    Is there something I was missing in my previous regimen? Or are t-bar rows actually not that great? Or, what could be going on here? I mean I remember doing pullups when in my old routine with free weights but had to use a machine to take off weight.

    Current routine is kettlebell swings, rows, and overhead press, for one day, and for another day it's swings, pushups, and chin ups. Been just doing a fee sets of each exercise and adding reps when I can with the idea of working the sets across.

    I know it isn't due to weight loss because my weight hasn't budged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say, with your shorter and thicker stature, assuming you were using 45lb plates on the t-bar row, I imagine you didn't have a great deal of ROM on the movement. Easy to stack up weight, but not a whole lot of training stimulus. Compare that to the KB row, which is going to have a longer stroke, and I can see that having greater carryover. The other stuff, like swings, probably played a role too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks.

      Haha, yeah, it felt like I was constantly stacking on plates with that thing. I guess a raw number doesn't always mean anything though.

      Delete