Saturday, February 9, 2019

PASSIVITY, OWNERSHIP AND “I WAS TOLD”



As something of a professional curmudgeon, one of the many things that upsets me is the use of passive voice.  For those of you not as in tune with your high school grammar as I (the irony not being lost on me, considering how terrible these blog posts tend to end up in that regard), the best way I can explain passive voice is that it’s what we used as kids to get out of trouble.  You’re playing rough inside of the house, and suddenly you break a lamp.  You go find a parent, and you say “The lamp got broken.”  That’s passive voice.  Active voice is owning it, and saying “I broke the lamp.”  You can observe the difference immediately; one is about an action occurring to an object, absent of a subject to affect it, whereas the active voice puts the acting agent first.  It’s a tough pill to swallow, but it’s ultimately the more accurate story of the two.  Why do I bring up this grammar lesson?  Because I constantly observe trainees employing a passive voice in their training dialogue, and, in turn, taking absolutely zero ownership in their training and their outcomes.

Related image
Unless your training looks like this...and even then, he said "I fight for me"

The most notorious of these examples?  “I was told”.  Oh my god do I blow a gasket whenever I hear or read this.  “I was told I need to perform mobility training before I lift weights”, “I was told I need to build a strength base before I do hypertrophy training”, “I was told that noob gains run out after 2 years”, etc etc etc.  Oh really?  You were told?  WHO told you?  “Many many sources”.  Ok, so then NO one told you; you READ/HEARD somewhere.  This is a big difference, and the phrasing is huge.  When you start with “I READ/HEARD that”, now YOU are taking ownership.  You’re saying that you read this material, and then YOU decided that it was worth considering, embraced it, and pursued it.  When you just say “I was told”, you’re taking the responsibility off yourself to critically think.  You’re saying that you were given marching orders to go forth and pursue, and if those orders are WRONG, well it certainly isn’t YOUR fault; you were just told all this.  You were just poor, innocent and naïve, and someone took advantage of that by filling you with bad information.  You poor, poor creature.

No, screw that.  This is YOUR training; YOU should be the one who cares about what you do.  All sorts of people will tell you all sorts of stuff: it’s up to YOU to decide if any of it is worthwhile.  If you want to just be told stuff, at LEAST get told stuff by people that are worth listening to.  I went to a Bill Kazmaier seminar and asked him how to get better at weight over bar, because I had it coming up in a competition and had no idea how to train for it.  No what “I was told?”  “Just show up strong and do it.”  And hey, it worked, and I was more than willing to say “I was told” in that regard, because when the question is asked “by who”, I could say “Bill Kamzaier”.  Bill coulda told me that leg press and lateral raises were the secret to weight over bar, and that woulda been enough for me.  But some random scrub on a forum, or some dude with a blog (yes, that includes me)?  Yes, certainly A data point, but one that must be weighed, measured and evaluated.

Image result for bill kazmaier throwing
Also some of the advice I got from Bill...and it's good

“I was led to believe that…”, no, stop.  You’re an adult (I presume): no one LED you to believe anything.  No one has the power to lead you to believe anything.  If you are susceptible to that sort of stuff, I STRONGLY advise you to stay away from cults, pyramid schemes, Nigerian princes, people claiming you owe back taxes with the IRS, etc etc.  Otherwise, no, you were never led to believe anything: you CHOSE to believe something, because it was far easier to accept something simply because someone said it than to hear something, critically think about it, and make a decision in that regard.  And hey, there’s nothing wrong with hearing something and trying it out for a while, but if it doesn’t work, don’t just keep beating your head against the wall saying “I was led to believe this works, and it’s not working, so something must be wrong with ME!”  Instead, try the null hypothesis that maybe, just maybe, the thing you heard isn’t true.  Now you get to say “I have decided that this isn’t true.”

This is about taking ownership of YOUR fate, your training, your process, your results.  There’s lots of people out there that will tell you things: YOU decide if any of them are worth listening to.  And when you follow a stupid guru because you’re naïve that is YOUR choice.  And when it fails, that is YOUR lesson to learn.  Failure isn’t bad: it’s an essential part of growth.  The only issue is when your ego is so big and fragile that you REFUSE to believe you could have possibly fallen for stupid advice, and so you try to make it everyone else’s fault but your own.  I’ve fallen for tons of stupid gimmicks in my time, and each time it was up to me to say “well, I was certainly stupid to believe that: lesson learned”.  And, in turn, I grew, got bigger, stronger, and better.  I didn’t wallow in what I was told: I accepted what I chose to believe, and then I chose to no longer believe it.



9 comments:

  1. Hitting the proverbial nail on the proverbial head, as always. I honestly wonder how many people in the "studies say" crowd have replicated said studies (as I may have mentioned earlier, it's part of actually doing science).

    I've done a few things out of the powerlifting basics: Texas style and both seem to be working well enough. There is certainly a level of difference between "I read this" and "I've tried this, and it's doing something, even if I don't know why". And I'm glad that I was told (haha) to just stop overthinking stuff and try new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always wanted to run some of the programs out of that book. Still on my list of things to do.

      Delete
    2. I think I have only adopted the 3x3, 3x8 rep scheme from him and added in leg press for deadlift. Leg press definitely is helping, I'm sure.

      3x3 and 3x8 is neat just as a way of playing with different rep ranges. Bench is stuck though at my bodyweight or just above :/

      Once this meet is over I'm going to try Dan John's macroloading. I would only need to make like 4 weight jumps a year for big gains in ability. That seems more than reasonable.

      Delete
  2. As long as we're doing semantics, which I love, I have another hypothesis. The omitted first-person subject pronoun is another way to divest oneself of responsibility. "Didn't have a good squat workout today" is a more clinical statement than "I didn't have a good squat workout today." It's a smaller thing than passive voice, which is overtly making oneself the direct object, rather than the subject, of the action, but I think it subconsciously achieves the same effect of depersonalizing the statement.

    WR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow, that's a fantastic observation. I've noticed this sort of aloofness in other areas as well. Typically the people that are "too ironic" to actually care about their success, in an attempt to hide that they DO care and are upset at their failures. Guys that say "Hey, my bench is awful, how do I get j00cy pecs" or "How can I bring up my lagging SKWAT" or other such intentional stupidity. Just another way to distance themselves from their failures.

      It's funny to observe these foibles.

      Delete
    2. Oh man, totally. I used to do this when I was a kid. Anything that I really wanted but had to ask for, I'd refer to as a "thingy," eg. "ice cream sandwich thingy," because my 5yo brain thought it made me sound casual and therefore less likely to have to negotiate for it.

      WR

      Delete
  3. " I accepted what I chose to believe, and then I chose to no longer believe it."

    This is resonating really with me, right now. I did bench, deadlift, and squat in the same day yesterday to make up for some lost gym sessions, hit a double on deadlift which is a PR for that weight, then decided to do some squats. The bar felt heavy as heck despite not there being a lot of weight, looked up why and apparently it's because deadlift fatigues the back which stabilizes your squat, and that you aren't supposed to do squats after deadlift because of that.

    Said "screw it", loaded up the bar on squat more and hit a weight PR with that too . Simple force of will can carry one pretty far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey man, been reading your wonderful blog for years, but only just now stumbled upon this old post.

    It reminds me of a somewhat famous anecdote in Zen Buddhism about a monk who was getting frustrated with how none of his masters at the monastery were giving him precise instructions on how to reach enlightenment.

    So one day he packs up his things to leave the monastery and find new masters who will SURELY be able to tell him EXACTLY how he can finally reach enlightenment. On his way out, he stumbled and stubs his toe on a sharp rock.

    In pain, he screams, “Ouch! Fuck! But I was told the body is an illusion!”

    He pauses.

    And with a tinge of sadness in his voice, he realizes: “I cannot be deceived.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I love it! What a fantastic story: thanks for sharing it.

      Delete