Wednesday, September 29, 2021

ON PHYSICAL TRANSFORMATION: SIMPLE, NOT EASY

  

A sentiment I find myself having to constantly repeat is “if physical transformation was easy, there would be more jacked people.”  I have to repeat this sentiment frequently because it seems as though this fact is lost on MANY people.  This is reflected based off the incredibly warped expectations people have regarding the very process of physical transformation.  Frequently I see a sentiment expressed that essentially boils down to “I’ve been training hard and eating well for 2 weeks: how come I’m not jacked?”  People are quick to rush to blame social media and steroids and “unrealistic body images/expectations”, but before all that we had Rocky montages which I’d say are the REAL culprit here.  We ALL love the idea of some scrub whose been living off ramen and vodka getting their head on straight, buckling down, and radically transforming themselves in the span of a few weeks…but the truth is, that dude gets his lunch eaten by the dude that has been doing that the WHOLE time, living it for YEARS on end, with no breaks, no deviations, and no signs of weakening.  And therein lies the rub: it’s all so simple, but it’s NOT easy.

 

VINTAGE NEWS: THE FIGHT OF THE MILLION DOLLAR - Cleto Reyes
Winning a boxing match is simple: just punch the other guy and don't get punched



Already I find myself acknowledging that I’m basically re-writing my “the secret is patience” post, but let’s just keep on going down this rabbit hole to really appreciate it.  We recently got youtube cleared through our firewall at work, and with nutrition being my newest obsession (since, as I’ve previously written, there’s nothing new to read about regarding training), I’ve taken to having videos of bodybuilders describing their diets on in the background while I get work done.  Wanna know something about bodybuilding diets?  They’re BORING!  It’s all the same stuff: some carbs (rice almost always, occasionally potatoes), some meat (lean when cutting, beef occasionally when gaining), and MAYBE some fats from oils.  There’s pretty much nothing to learn from these videos: it’s all very obvious stuff.  Eat a lot of single ingredient food (THERE: THERE is your definition for “clean food”.  Are you happy internet?!) and eat enough of it to grow if you’re growing and don’t eat too much of it if you’re losing fat.  So who is the best bodybuilder?  The guy that actually DOES it, because even though this is stupidly simple: it’s hard as f**k!

 

The guy that wins the competition is the guy that NEVER deviates from the plan.  They bring food EVERYWHERE for the entire contest prep.  They have everything measured, weighed out, and accurately calculated.  They eat WHEN THEY AREN’T HUNGRY (pay attention “I eat all the time and never gain weight” types), on the schedule, with no missed meals, no swaps, no substitutions, no “close enoughs”, etc.  That is SO stupidly simple: just eat the food dummy!  But it’s HARD.  It’s so hard that the EATING is what typically retires bodybuilders.  The training is something of an afterthought (something Justin Harris has spoken to, which again, reference my whole “there is nothing to read about” notion) and, for many, is the actual “fun” part of the process: it’s the eating that is all consuming (pun totally intended).  Hell, even the non-monklike athletes express something similar.  Pro-strongman, who are able to partake in some oreos and pizza and burgers, STILL eat like it’s a job, and STILL hate it…but it’s the dude that actually sacks up and DOES it that wins.



Brian Shaw Eats His Old 15,000 Calorie Strongman Diet | BarBend
Meanwhile, Jay Cutler's favorite cheat meal was "nothing"

 


So if I’m writing this like it’s an instruction manual for a beginner (it’s not), the nutrition section would be: “eat healthy food, enough of it to grow if you want to build muscle, not too much of it if you want to lose fat”.  The training is ALSO simple.  Lift weights and do cardio.  Look: can we go further than that?  Sure…but MAYBE you need to make sure you’re actually doing those things FIRST before we start discussing the details. You think I’m joking, but HOW many dudes are skipping the cardio part of “lift weights and do cardio”?  COULD I do the whole “cardio vs conditioning” thing right now?  Sure, but really, if I could just get you dudes to go for a WALK every day, I’d be more than pleased.  Wanna add some more complexity to it?  You got it: go do something that makes your heart beat REALLY fast and where you need to gasp for air.  How many times?  Until you can’t, then do 1 more round.  How do I lift weights?  Let me give you the simplest program ever: go find something, pick it up off the floor and get it over your head.  Do it until you can’t, rest for a little and try it again.  After an hour, go home.  No joke, if you did that and the cardio AND the eating, and did it for a few years, you would be a radically transformed physical specimen.

 

But that’s not EASY.  Picking stuff up off the floor and putting it over your head is HARD.  It’s SO hard we give people GOLD F**KING MEDALS in the Olympics when they are the best at it!  Know who doesn’t get a gold medal?  Dudes that lay down on their backs and press the weight over their face instead.  Wild.  (Powerlifitng will always be my first love, please don’t get upset powerlifters).  Going for a walk EVERY day sucks.  It sucks so much that I tried to make my dog do it for a week and he actually HID in his kennel to avoid a walk one day…and that’s a dog.  Sometimes our schedule sucks and it means getting up at 0300 to get the workout in, sometimes something happens that throws off our plans, sometimes it’s raining and walking sounds lame…but it’s the dudes that still DO it that succeed.  It’s simple: it’s not easy.


Link: Unstable Surface Training | Driveline Baseball
This, of course, is neither

 


And this is why you observe so few physically transformed people…but we have to appreciate that.  No one is hiding the secrets, and there’s no knowledge one needs to get to succeed.  “It’s SO complicated!”  No: it really REALLY isn’t.  You KNOW what it takes to achieve physical transformation: hard work, consistency and time.  It’s stupidly simple…it’s just not easy. 

16 comments:

  1. Nutrition is, and always will be, my downfall. I hate eating, I hate cooking, I always have to force down 90% of my calories, but I do it because I love lifting. If we love something, we sometimes have to force ourselves to do parts of it we hate

    Great post. Sometimes we have to be reminded of the simple things because too many newer lifters get caught up in the percentages, the RPE, all the social media shit! Keep writing Myth, I love it

    Chicksan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really means a lot from you dude. Absolutely true: when we really love something, we are willing to suffer.

      Delete
    2. I feel this, but for opposite reasons.

      I love to eat, and cook. If it wasn't for exercise I would be even fatter than I am.

      Delete
  2. This is one of your best yet, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is a constant source of inspiration for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it can be that dude! It's been fun for me to write.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife and I talk about this all the time, how TRULY simple it is to either gain or lose weight. People at work think I'm doing something magical to lose weight. No dude, I eat literally the meals every single day. It's boring, it sucks, but it's VERY simple.

    Funny how they'll still try every trick there is before they'll do this though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. One of my favorite questions I get asked is "when losing weight, what do you do to make sure you don't feel hungry?"

      Dude: that's what losing weight IS. Haha.

      Delete
  6. People over complicate this shit too. “Oh but I like to eat”. Mf I love to eat too. That’s why when I lose weight, I just put low calorie shit in soups or curries. Just eat less calories or trick yourself into thinking you ate more if you really can’t handle it.

    Same with lifting. I fell for the tim Ferris “lift as little to get a strong as possible” when I was a teen, and now I wish I had just been a maximalist meat head. 80% isn’t good enough for me, and it’s surprisingly less complicated to hit 95%.

    Marginal gains in effort, but significantly reduced complexity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% dude. There would be no "fitness industry" without manufactuered complexity.

      Delete
  7. “eat healthy food, enough of it to grow if you want to build muscle, not too much of it if you want to lose fat”

    "Lift weights and do cardio."

    Thing of the waves that would ripple across multiple industries and medical specialties if the majority of the US population would just eat healthy food, do cardio, and lift weights.

    A question on a different note (and a possible blog post if it sparks your interest): What would a Mythical Strength Strongman Competition look like? Precisely, what 4 (or more) events would you choose if money and complexity of staging were no obstacle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan John has such amazingly simply physical recommendations for adults that, if complied with, would have phenomeonal results. It's the "if complied with" part that is key. If everyone did 20 minutes of resistance training 3 days a week, a brisk walk after their evening meal and ate like an adult, we'd solve SO many problems.


      Off the top of my head, I'd want a wooden log press event clean each rep with a weight where winners are getting around 10-12 reps and last place gets about 3-4. Wooden logs just always look cooler, and strongman will always be a show first and a sport second. I'd want a Hercules hold in there. You gotta have stones, since it's strongman, and I'd go with platform since it's classic. Final 4 would be a car deadlift. Front handle rather than side.

      Now, that's if I'm putting on a show. As for what events I'd WANT to have in a strongman competition if it's for me...

      Still go log clean and press each rep OR keg clean and press each rep. I hate continentals, so that rules out the axle, and I like the metabolic challenge of cleaning each rep. Singles are stupid: lets see some lungs.

      I still like car deadlift, BUT I always wanted to do the barrel load deadlift where you're deadlifitng a cart and each rep they throw in a keg to add weight. That's on my strongman bucket list.

      I prefer sandbag loading to stones, since people use too much technique on stones. However, I'd be up for natural stone loading. I've done that before, and it was a blast.

      Still like the Hercules hold for a combination of grip and pain tolerance. So much better than a crucifix. However, I'd be up to swap that out for a barrel squat event. Although really we should have a medley here instead, because so far I haven't proposed anything like that and, really, that was the best part of mid 2000s strongman and, in turn, produced some AMAZING strongman during that era. I'm gonna go with an anchor drag/keg carry medley.


      That was a fun mental exercise, haha.

      Delete
  8. Enjoyed this one as well. In college I was intermittently consuming all kinds of stupid supplements. When I started prepping for Empire that was the first time I had taken to a strict diet, and things started to fall into place. Nothing complicated, just large amount of beef, rice, veggies, etc but suddenly I looked/felt like a brick shithouse without any of the supplements. Gotta stop making shit complicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100%. I always say that supplement stores sell "hope". I walk in and WANT all that stuff to be good...but you look past the fancy labels and silly sciency words and it's all just the same garbage. Food is the most anabolic substance out there.

      Delete