Friday, September 10, 2021

THE SECRET IS PATIENCE

  

I’ve found myself saying this for a while now, so it seemed like it was time to actually make a post about it.  People are always looking for “the secret” when it comes to physical transformation.  What should I eat (spoiler: it’s often what you DON’T eat that makes the difference)?  What supplement should I take?  3 day/4 day/5 day split?  Twice a week frequency?  Protein before the workout?  After?  Isolate or compound (am I talking about protein or movements when I say that?)  Etc etc.  Isn’t it frustrating to realize that NONE of these things are the secret?  Primarily because these would be EASY secrets.  You just pick 1 thing and then you picked right and you win!  It’s like Indiana Jones: choose wisely (sorry for spoiling a 30 year old movie).  And here’s the equally frustrating part: the secret, the REAL secret, is patience.


Dude, at least go for the name brand stuff...




 


Patience is a very long four-letter word.  We are particularly spoiled these days, as things really ARE instant.  My kid has no idea what a commercial is: they’ve only known streaming television.  Along with that, they’ve never known having to wait until their favorite show comes on: their favorite show is ALWAYS on.  We can order stuff from amazon and have it delivered in 2 days.  I recently released a free e-book and had a lot of people tell me the link to it didn’t work because it took about 20 seconds of waiting to fully load.  We’re very much conditioned to expect things instantly…which means requiring patience for something is downright asking the impossible among many.  No: they want their binary choice to make that is the RIGHT choice so they can shut off their brain and get their results.  And when 3 months go by and they aren’t jacked out of their minds and photoshoot ready, they DEMAND to know how they screwed it up and why the internet led them astray.

 

The secret is patience: physical transformation simply takes a LONG time to occur.  If it didn’t, more people would look great.  There would be no fat people on vacation: everyone would always be jacked and lean.  But they aren’t, because it requires patience, and patience is in short supply.  “But what about all those stories about people making radical physical transformations in short time periods?!”  Dude: why do you think those are stories?  Those are the exceptions that PROVE the rule.  We wouldn’t report stuff like that if it WASN’T miraculous.  They very fact it’s “newsworthy” is proof of concept that the NORM is for physical transformation to require a long time and, therefore, patience to work.  How do you know you’re not one of those fast radical transformers?  The fact you are reading about it rather than living it.


And case in point, it helps to start out pretty jacked BEFORE you transform


 

This is the “secret” as to why all those bros in the gym look so jacked despite training “wrong”: they exercised patience.  They adopted the gym as a hobby, went there 3-6 times a week for a dozen plus years, put In enough effort, and saw the results.  Much like how you can graduate high school if you show up enough and put in a minimal amount of effort, you can achieve physical transformation purely through patience.  You can “wait out” the gains.  Because let’s be real about being optimal here: if training optimally means getting 100% of your potential, how less optimal is training sub-optimally?  10% less?  So if you were to have put on 50lbs of solid muscle in 15 years of training, now it’s “only” 45lbs?  That’s still REALLY good.  80%? 40lbs of muscle is a LOT of muscle.  You’d have to train so COMPLETELY off the rails to not get a solid return on investment in your training that it would be painfully obvious you aren’t there to work.  Otherwise, picking A method, executing it diligently and waiting patiently remain “the secret.”

 

Here’s another dirty secret about patience: fat is much easier to lose than muscle is to gain.  Building muscle is a SLOW process.  Once again, were that NOT the case, more people would be muscular.  Fat loss can be incredibly rapid.  Once again, talking about “stories”, the story of rapid and extensive fat loss is a very well known and popular one because it happens ALL the time.  All people need to do to make it happen is…not eat.  That’s it.  It’s INaction.  Through sheer inaction, people have lost hundreds of pounds, shedding whole humans worth of bodyweight and radically transformed themselves.  Think of the last time you saw a story about someone doing the near opposite, and adding prodigious amounts of muscle in a short time span.  Even WITH chemical assistance, the rate that muscle can be added is paltry compared to the rate at which fat can be lost.  But interestingly enough, the impact of fat loss (insofar as it relates to physique) is significantly amplified by the presence of musculature.  We’ve all seen the trainee that starts off overfat and cuts all the way down to scrawny with loose skin compared to the dude that starts off overfat BUT with a significant degree of musculature underneath.  So again: patience comes into play.  Yeah, you can drop a ton of fat quickly if you want, but if the goal is to actually look good at the end, there STILL needs to be patience.


The 10 year bulk and 2 year cut plan still works


 

“But what about my friend that never lifted before and got huge quick!”  Your friend most likely had a solid childhood background in basic athletics, while you stayed inside playing World of Warcraft.  And there is that patience again: spending the ages of 4-18 playing sports year round is the accumulation of a LOT of training volume, even IF none of it was specialized toward gaining muscle and lifting weights.  That WIDE base of general physical preparedness can now be laser focused toward a single goal and the rewards can be reaped (hey, it’s that whole “accumulation” thing all over again).  If he got to start with a 14 year head start, he’s going to pull ahead faster.  You need to be patient.  Starting today will get you one day closer than if you start tomorrow.


---


 

BONUS SECTION: I honestly couldn’t figure out where else to put this, so here’s some interesting things to note.  Patience is the secret, but some things require more patience than others.  Muscle is going to take the longest to build, and, in turn, so will strength (because, again, the way you make a muscle stronger is by making it bigger).  Because of “beginner gains”, the further away we are from our potential, the faster we make progress toward it, so most new trainees will observe rapid progress at first that will come to a snail’s crawl soon after.  This is why the average powerlifting “career” is about 3 years: after that point, it becomes hard to progress and people quit and move on.  The secret was patience, and they failed there.  However, what’s cool about muscle and strength taking a while to gain is that it ALSO takes a while to lose.  Again, people get confused about what actually IS muscle, typically confusing inflammation/swelling/bloat with it, and think that they “lost their gains” when they go on vacation for 2 weeks and don’t train and eat right.  The truth is: when you have a REAL solid foundation of size and strength under your belt, it takes a LOT to lose it.


I've met the man in person, and he's STILL huge...


 

Below muscle, cardiovascular ability and conditioning can be improved quite rapidly, which, in turn, means you’re a real slack if your conditioning sucks.  Muscle can take months and years to accumulate: a solid baseline of conditioning can be obtained in a matter of weeks.  And once you have it, maintaining it really isn’t too difficult, and improving it is still not terribly taxing.  But, in turn, you can lose it pretty quickly as well.  So if you ARE the impatient type and want to see results NOW, go build up your conditioning.  And the cool thing is, when your conditioning is improved, your ability to build muscle will improve too.

 

Flexibility and mobility are also much quicker to improve compared to muscular size, which is why people like to brag about how DEEP they can squat vs how MUCH they can squat.  It was simply easier to do the former vs the latter.  I dedicated myself to stretching 30 minutes a day when COVID hit, and within a matter of weeks was back to the ROM I had when I was a teenager.  I subsequently ALSO suffered my first hamstring tear ever in training, and then tore something in my groin on a set of squats, at which point I resumed my previous campaign of no longer stretching.  I was doing it because I was teaching my kid some Tae Kwon Do as part of their ”at home physical education” program, and decided I’d rather just kick at the waist or lower vs keep breaking stuff.  But again, quickly gained, quickly lost.

14 comments:

  1. Truest thing I've ever heard, I lifted in HS and was fairly muscular for my age then but stopped in college and got out of shape.Like looked like just a big dude in a shirt but tubby shirtless out of shape. Soon after I turned 21 6'0 I was 207lbs tubby, and I thought I would have abs in the low 180s in 3 months maybe 5 tops. I am just now about there over 2 and a half years later, and I have so much potential left to grow. The process is better once you've dug yourself out of the hole and have a good physique to show for your lifestyle , but I am also glad I thought it would be 3 months when I started, the delusion helped me throw myself into it with great effort. If I knew it'd take like 30 months instead I am not sure I would have mustered the will to start, delusion sometimes works in our favor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That initial dive into fat loss is always so eye opening. One of the better quotes I've heard on it is, take your initial weight loss estimate and double it.

      Delete
  2. Are there some qualifiers you would consider as a solid baseline of conditioning? Right now I'm working on my easy conditioning (before I add hard conditioning) and the goal is a 30 minute jog at a reasonable heart rate. Seems like a long way off as I was a smoker for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No qualifiers. I find, once those enter the equation, people become too specialized.

      Delete
    2. As a former smoker I understand. Took me ages to even get anywhere conditioning wise because any time I did anything my lungs were just giving up tar. I was undoing so much negative progress.

      And that was maybe a year or two smoking off and on.

      Delete
  3. This is something i have been thinking about a lot in regards to everything in my life. I think every hobby and artistic endeavor can be awesome if you stick with it for long enough, same goes for anything in life really. For example I've been playing fighting games a lot recently i could not decide on what character i wanted to play, until i realized I didn't matter because every character was a good option. It was simply a matter of me sticking with it for long enough to be able to become better at the game and then i realized the same goes for my diet, workout routine, etc... So you really nailed it with this post. Dedication, hard work and patience is the key to achieving anything worthwhile in life. Now the only thing on my mind is deciding what kind of hobbies I'd like to stick with for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% This is the universal secret that no one likes to talk about, haha. And our patience tends to be longer when it's something we care about.

      Delete
  4. Regarding stretching, since I have genetic joint hypermobility, stretching and myofascial release are very important for *me,* but I'm obviously an outlier and an exception (just not in a good way haha).

    But you suffering injuries because you stretched reminds me of similar stories I've heard from some ammy MMA fighters. They were told by a PT that their lats were tight, and so they stretched them. Afterwards, they started injuring their shoulders on movements they used to do all the time, such as punches. I noticed similar tweaks happening to me after *certain stretches,* so I talked to my main PT about it, and her explanation made sense based on my symptoms. I've also heard this explanation from a PT who used to post on Tnation.

    Basically, your nervous system keeps certain muscles tight to protect your joints, most of all your vertebrae. So the real root cause of the tightness often isn't posture or lack of stretching. It's instead weakness is another muscle that isn't doing its job properly.

    It's why a few years ago, all the pec and hip flexor stretches did nothing for me. However, band pull aparts and Transverse abdominis strengthening loosened those areas with minimal stretching. If anything, stretching the hip flexors before I began strengthening my transverse abs would cause hip pain, because those tight hip flexors were keeping my bad hips stable.

    It's a similar story with range of motion. Stretching would give me a deeper squat, but loading the bottom ROM would eventually hurt something in my hips. However, once I strengthened my transverse abs and activated my glute medius, the bottom ROM was smooth and my ROM actually increased on my own.

    Basically, lack of flexibility often comes from lack of stability in the proper muscles, with exceptions of course. However, this is just based on my own journey and having to figure things out along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a few theories of my own, but ultimately realized I was meeting all of my goals by NOT stretching and NONE of my goals BY stretching, so it became a no-brainer.

      Delete
  5. About the actual blog topic, though... The patience needed for lifting is a fraction of what's required for many other endeavors. Seriously. And I say this based on my own experience.

    A guy can usually go from zero to muscular in 3 years by pushing hard. Three years is often nothing when learning to draw, animate, fiction write, etc. A big reason for this is that you can hard work your way to faster results with lifting. Your own training style is a great example of this. On the other hand, you can't hard work creativity, which is why learning to draw/animate, for example, can take a lot longer to become proficient in.

    And you're right that fat loss is even faster. Oftentimes, 3 months can make a big difference in bodyfat percentage. That fact that this is seen as too long of a time by most people is very telling and very unfortunate haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely. I always like to spell it out for people. "So you go to the gym 3 times a week and lift weights for an hour. So you invest 3 hours a week into this. If you went to school for 3 hours a week, how long would it take to get a degree?" It's practically cheating.

      Delete
  6. Regarding patience in general, I find myself training the hardest when I am extremely impatient and discontented with my lifts. It takes a bit of time, but I slowly wither out and then repeat the cycle. Is this cyclicalness par for the course, or am I just getting lazy, when I am not agitated? I wouldn't say I'm "slacking" it just bothers me that I have that "oomph" that is not always there. My guess is this is just another form of impatience, but what would you say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's noting wrong with being dissatisfied with where you are: it's the catalyst necessary for physical change. I would figure out why you're withering out and address that.

      Delete