Sunday, December 2, 2018

YES, ONCE AGAIN, EVEN MORE BULLET POINTS



-Ever notice how fat people seem to be overly concerned with recovery and skinny people seem to be overly concerned about overtraining?  Kinda a funhouse mirror moment.  Recover too much and you get fat.  Don’t train hard enough and you don’t gain muscle. 

-What did you do to earn that cheat meal?

-On the above, why is it that the people that want me to have a “healthy relationship” with food tend to be in poor shape?  Seems like the people that are winning aren’t having a great relationship with food.  If anything, it’s an abusive one.

-I need more gym music, which really means I need Nine Inch Nails to release a new album.

-You didn’t lose muscle on a cut; you had less muscle to start with than you thought you did.


Related image
"It's only because I messed up my tan!"

-If you ever find yourself starting a statement with “People say” or “I’ve read somewhere” and can’t actually remember WHICH people say this or WHERE you read it, just stop.  Nothing you’re about to say is helpful, and you’re just deluding yourself.  If the information was good enough that it was worth remembering, so was the source.

-All of the people I look up to are pessimistic, damaged or psychotic.  They’re also really great at what they do.  I wonder what it says about me and about life.

-Now that Eddie Hall has announced he’s retired from ALL strongman competition, where will the fans go?

-We’re all stupid in different ways.  My generation was stupid by following workouts in muscle mags.  The current generation is stupid by following social media advice and the 5x5 craze.  There will ALWAYS be someone out there willing the prey on the stupid and gullible, and there will always be a wizened group of veterans looking at it, laughing, and remembering.

-Damn curious how so many trainees know the benefit of caffeine and taurine as it relates to training but just about none of them can tell you what vitamin A or K do.

-I’m trying to get LASIK, and I’m excited, because maybe after it happens I can finally judge bodyfat% and who is and is not using steroids using just my eyes, like so many other people somehow manage online.

-I took Stan Lee’s passing about as hard as Paul Kelso’s.  Both amazing storytellers with a huge influence on my training, and I’m sure I’m not alone.

Image result for Juggernaut vs hulk
You are bound to have liked at least ONE of the people in this photo...and it was the Juggernaut


-Hook grip is a meme.  That’s right, I said it.

-Watched the Ronnie Coleman documentary on Netflix.  It’s honestly not bad.  Reminded me how much I miss that era of lifting.  However, also found myself tuning out when it came to the actual bodybuilding competition aspect.  I still just plain don’t get that.  I have nothing but respect for the guys that can actually commit to a show and pull through, but I’ll never understand the motivation.

-I can’t tell if the internet is further radicalizing crazy people or if they were already there and I’m just now finding out about it, but either way I keep seeing the same photo of some narrow shouldered bodybuilder and hearing about clavicle lengthening surgery and it’s making me weep for the future.

-What is the point behind questions about “how much damage did I do” or “how long will it take to recover from X?”  What will you do with this information?  Will it at all change how you move forward? 

-The amount of Nazis being found out in powerlifting is becoming alarming.  I genuinely don’t know what to do with that information, but it seems noteworthy in some regard.

-“Recovery is more important than training?” Oh really?  Cool, let’s try an experiment.  You do zero training and spend all your time recovering.  I’ll go train and have awful recovery.  Guess which one of us is going to turn out better than the other?

Image result for navy seal hell weekImage result for Teenager sleeping in
Who do you think is going to get stronger between the two of these photos?

-Can we please stop saying “side lateral raises”?  If it’s lateral, I know it’s a side raise.  It’s right up there with saying “katana sword” or “bo staff” or “boot shoe”.  “But what about rear lateral raises?”  Yeah, cool, keep that, just like how we say “front squat” because we know that, when we just say “squat”, it means the bar is on our back.  Also, swear to god, if I see “lat raise” again, I don’t know what I’m going to do, because it’s that sort of laziness that makes people THEN say things like “lateral pulldowns”

-“Jim Wendler is a VERY confusing author”-the words of someone who never tried to read anything Louie Simmons ever wrote.

-“How do I meal prep?”  Really?  Make dinner, but when you make it, make it for 1 more person than you need to feed.  Congrats: you just made lunch for tomorrow. 

-In a world where you can get a direct answer from elite coaches/athletes and follow their programs (Tuchscherer, Simmons, Tate, CWS, etc etc) WHY are people still in such a rush to follow Instagram stars with fake names?  When I started training, at most we had some articles on the web and MAYBE the author still had a forum or a Q&A, and WE had it good, because the generation before me relied on magazine articles, in person advice and MAYBE a phonecall if they were feeling brave, and now that the chance to get great advice is rapidly available, no one wants to get it.

-Now that belt squat machines are becoming more widely available, I can’t wait to see what sort of bizarre mutations people come up with regrading how to train with them.

-I bought a bottle of apple cider vinegar.  It now hangs out in my supplement drawer, unopened.  I’m wondering if this may just be a reminder for me.

-I’m going to scalp the next person who asks if creatine causes hair loss.  I can’t tell if that is ironic or not.

Image result for alanis morissette ironic
"No Alanis: it's unfortunate"

-While talking movies, I watched “Transformer”, which was the documentary on Kroc’s transition from male to female.  Please keep the comments tame on this one, but in general, if you are/were a Kroc fan, it’s worth watching.  It honestly features enough lifting to satisfy the meathead audience, but I was also just curious about what had been happening, and it created a good summary of things.

-That said, I STILL can’t figure out Kroc rows.  But the shirt is still cool.


20 comments:

  1. " I have nothing but respect for the guys that can actually commit to a show and pull through, but I’ll never understand the motivation."

    Same here. Mostly because bodybuilding in my opinion requires a lot more dedication and effort than the other strength sports. You can gain thickness as a powerlifter or strongman, and that's basically ok for the sport. Bodybuilding requires that but also making sure individual muscles grow proportionately. I don't think I have the paitence for that. But respect? Yeah, definitely.

    I also don't know if I get kroc rows, either. I've dabbled in them, but I went back to bent over rows for now. I don't know if I get these either, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, legit question

    How do you reconcile the idea that there is no such thing as overtraining with the idea of needing to take deloads every so often?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the absence of overtraining, there is simply "under recovering". Deloads are one manner of recovering. Others include nutrition and rest.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but just wanted to check. In that sense, are they necessary even with good nutrition and rest and other recovery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on the programming. When I use a lot of AMRAPS, I find I need deloads.

      Delete
  4. Bugs me when people ask "Which is more important, nutrition (or recovery) or training?" and therefore implying some sort of exclusivity. Both. On a number of occasions, I've been told by people that "nutrition is more important". Er... sure.

    You get stronger by recovering from hard training. Train hard, recover, train again, recover again. No exclusivity there. Recovering better means harder training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is in such a race to make one thing more important than the other, because then it gives them an excuse to slack. You see it even with the enhanced folks. They decide that drugs are the ONLY things that matter, and they just keep upping the dosage and taking different stuff and they still eat and train like crap, and when they get blown away by some guy actually putting in work, they say it's just genetics.

      Delete
  5. I have never had a particularly healthy relationship with food. We're it not for me being so active, I would definitely weigh a lot more than I do.

    My dinner last night was a pound of ground beef, 4 hasbrowns and sour cream, all mixed in. Like, I even eat like a total asshole sometimes. But it was a much needed post workout meal.

    And it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still trying to make weight for the Navy?

      Delete
    2. I am. I'm not really good at this dieting thing. I did a food log for a few weeks and did cut out a lot of snacks I was having while on breaks at work, and my waist has been generally stable around 38". If I can get down to 37" around I will be good to go.

      Delete
  6. RE: the nazis and what to do with that information... tell your local antifa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more the information regarding the amount, not pertaining to specific individuals.

      Delete
  7. https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/1f1kqy/why_nobody_is_critiquing_your_workout_read_this/

    I just had to share this old post with you that fittit still has linked in the wiki. It’s amazing how outdated it feels even now, SS became uncool so rapidly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fascinating watching the pendulum swing on this stuff. I'm sure we'll see it swing again. All it takes is a bunch of people taking off half-cocked with partial information to find the flaws in a system and start a "revolution" of doing something different. Abbreviated training came about because people were doing stupidly too much volume, and now people are doing stupidly too little volume and it swings again.

      Delete
    2. I wonder if we should be teaching new people concepts and asking them what their goals are rather than just "go read the wiki and do the recommended program" which is usually a 5x5. Of which, nothing is wrong with 5x5 when starting, but I don't really see any benefit in doing whatever versus doing whatever else if you don't graphs the why's, even tangibly, of it.

      I mean, people's goals are different and it makes no sense for someone who wants to hike to follow the same things as a powerlifter. Someone who thinks that stupid amounts of volume is an ok starting program may benefit from the Dezos Ban philosophy where you add in volume as work capacity allows.


      And people could go on about pausing in the hole on squat or how to do deadlifts (touch n go, dead stop , both?) But neither one is always correct.

      I personally have found value in pausing in the hole and also doing touch n go deadlifts, but someone else can train differently and see the same results.

      We should teach beginners, rather than try to churn out strength athletes like they're some sort of factory product.

      Delete
  8. The fact that you refer to the superhero image above as a 'photo' says something about your connection with reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fairness, it's a photo of an image, haha.

      Delete
  9. I’m curious about your beef with hook grip dude. I compete and my hook is way stronger than my mixed, albeit I only use hook and straps in training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No beef at all; I'm just pointing out it's become a meme, haha. Too many guys worrying about their hook grips with zero desire to ever actually compete or be in a situation where it's relevant. It's become the new trendy thing to care about. Before that, we went through a front squat craze, and then we were functional, and there was powerbuilding, and all sorts of other madness.

      Delete
  10. "-I need more gym music, which really means I need Nine Inch Nails to release a new album." - Try some Popa Chubby. I'd start with Caffiene & Nicotine and If The Diesel Don't Get You.

    "-I bought a bottle of apple cider vinegar. It now hangs out in my supplement drawer, unopened. I’m wondering if this may just be a reminder for me." - Equal parts ACV and brown sugar makes a quick substitute when you run out of balsamic.

    ReplyDelete