Sunday, March 24, 2019

HYPERBOLE AND HYPERTROPHY: WORDS MATTER




Another one of my rants about language and the avenue of passivity that trainees take to absolve themselves of responsibility, but now comes the bonus of me applying all of the knowledge I gained from a psych 101 course I took in undergrad a decade+ ago: you’re in for a treat.  But thankfully, we’re on equal footing here, because from my observation everyone else took the same course and got a C, because people are so quick to jump to diagnosing themselves with severe psychological disorders when it comes to their own foibles.  And before I go any further, I want to clarify that I intend no malice toward those legitimately afflicted with actual mental health disorders, because I’ve been around enough folks that suffer from such maladies to understand just how debilitating it can be.  But it’s BECAUSE of this that I take so much offense to those who are quick to grant themselves these same afflictions.  In our race to be as hyperbolic as possible in our language, we’ve worked to absolve ourselves of any and all responsibility and accountability for our own actions.  Once again, we’ve removed our own agency and thrown ourselves at the mercy of our environment.  Man, screw that: you are STILL in control.

Image result for MIB alien controlling body
I mean, in most c

What am I getting at here?  Again, people make a habit of employing such egregiously hyperbolic language in their EVERYDAY dialogue that they’ve engendered a habit of removing their own personal responsibility from the actions they perform.  Look at any trainee discussing their shortcomings in their training and it becomes abundantly apparent.  “I’m addicted to sweets.”  Ok, really, let’s discuss what “addiction” means.  Your addiction means that you lack the ability to function without partaking in the substance you are addicted to.  It means your brain and body will start shutting down unless you have the substance you are addicted to.  In some cases, addiction are so strong the subject will die if they go without their substance for too long.  And you’ve decided you’re going to use that language…about candy?  Rather than say “I really like eating candy”, you jumped straight to “addiction”, and in doing so, you’re saying that you eating sweets is totally outside your control.  You simply lack the ability to NOT eat sweets.  You are a SUFFERER, you are afflicted, YOU are the misfortunate one…because you just plain can’t stop eating sweets.  Ok, seriously?  No, quit using that word.  Own up to your shortcomings.  “I like eating sweets more than I like being in shape.”

“I don’t know if I should bulk or cut: stupid body dysmorphia!”  Ok, again, are you serious here?  You’re trying to explain away your inability to make a decision by claiming it’s because of a severe psychological disorder to distorts your perception of your body?  No, what’s happening here is you lack the ability to make short term sacrifices for long term growth.  This is such an easy question to answer: if you want to be bigger, gain weight, if you want to be smaller, lose weight.  When you have to post a shirtless photo of yourself online and ask strangers to dictate your lifepath because of your “body dysmorphia”, you are once again just saying “I don’t want to make decisions and control my fate: won’t someone ELSE please do it for me?”  And you make use of hyperbolic language to excuse yourself from your inability to act.

Image result for Starting Strength meme
It's also worth noting that it's NOT body dysmorphia when you look bad and you think you look bad...

And these are just 2 immediately obvious examples out there where people use language to absolve themselves of the responsibility of being a functioning human.  Where else have you seen this?  People that HAVE to eat or train a certain way because of “their OCD.”  No, you DON’T suffer from a debilitating disorder that limits your ability to function in normal society: you just don’t like to change.  People that “can’t stop eating”?  Ok, so you’re saying you suffer from binge eating disordering: go seek immediate psychological treatment.  Oh wait, MAYBE you just refuse to exercise self-control instead.  Maybe instead of “can’t”, the word you REALLY were looking for is “won’t”.  I get it: we live in a hyperbolic world.  It’s the only way people can get attention anymore.  No one cares for the mundane, everything gets sensationalized, HOWEVER, you need to recognize what you’re doing to yourself here.

Folks, if you’re going to employ hyperbole, use it to your ADVANTAGE: not to cripple yourself.  Creative a narrative in your mind where you are indestructible.  When you discuss your dietary compliance, explain how it’s no problem at all, even IF you experience cravings.  When talking about your training, discuss PRs as though their inevitable, not wishful thinking.  Let yourself be super humanly strong, bulletproof to injury, a machine when it comes to nutrition.  You want to remove yourself from the equation?  Fine, but do it POSITIVELY.  Construct a narrative where SUCCESS is inevitable, NOT failure.  Be hyperbolic for your benefit.

Image result for Terminator face
Imagine for a second how much you would succeed if you were Arnie and ALSO, underneath that, a robot

I get it; we exist in a self-deprecating society, where people enjoy bragging about their failures and shortcomings.  It’s trendy to commiserate with everyone else about how you can’t succeed because the deck is stacked against you on a genetic level.  But you know what: wish for failure and you’ll get it.  Will people think you’re bragging and full of yourself if you’re hyperbolic in a positive sense?  Sure, but guess what: you’ll be worth BRAGGING about.  You create a self-fulfilling prophecy of success based off the language you employ when discussing yourself.  This is the very basics of the notion of “the power of positive thinking”.  And yeah, you’ll have a different narrative than others, but that’s because you want different RESULTS than others.

Or maybe you don’t, and maybe you’ll leave it up to someone else to decide what you want.        

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the message of this and how broadly it applies. On Friday we sparred at my kickboxing gym. This one guy who's more experienced than me came in to train after it ended and I was about to joke that he "didn't feel like beating me up today" as the reason. I stopped myself. It may have been a harmless self-deprecating joke, but I want to instill a pattern of taking myself seriously as an athlete and to not send any other message out. Your line about constructing a positive narrative made me think of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome dude: it's pretty cool how you had a similar revelation. We're taught so much to be humble, and sure, that can be endearing and prevent you from being a total a-hole, but there's nothing wrong with expecting greatness of yourself and holding yourself to that standard. Enough people are happy to be average that SOMEONE has to be above it at some point.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hell, to even make average, you still have to work harder than average. Mathematically speaking.

      I mean, I guess the alternative is to work so hard you reach your genetic potential within 4 years despite joints holding you back, that you have to roid up.

      Delete
  3. This works to the opposite effect often as well. People who actually have problems with mental health are told to 'deal with it' as their peers also 'have bad days, but just move on.'

    I feel like many people are just looking for something to blame, an easy out. But being stuck in the middle with people on both sides yelling contradiontary things, it's nice to have someone just say 'do what you gotta do, walk this path and figure out where it leads you.' Your blog is one of those powerful lighthouses that guides people through the noise of modern life. Cheers bro~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the comment man. I gotta imagine the minimalizing of legit mental illnesses is a part of our hyperbolic language as well.

      "You have OCD? Big deal. Karen in accounting has OCD about making sure the clock in the breakroom matches the one on the microwave!"

      "Oh, you mean, if that doesn't happen, she'll have a severe psychological meltdown and be able to function normally?"

      "No, it just REALLY annoys her."

      We're all so quick to self-diagnose that now we believe these diseases are all over the place, and people are also in a rush to use these diseases to excuse their otherwise boorish behavior.

      Delete
  4. From the science (as I currently understand it), it is not nearly as clear cut as you suggest that sugar should not be considered as an addictive substance. For example, several studies have demonstrated the same or very similar mechanisms of withdraw using a mouse model if I remember correctly. some of that research is sumarized here; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6234835/

    It's not my specific field though, just something I've read about in the past - so take my recollections and understanding with a grain of salt. Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize if my writing led you to believe I was making a declarative stance on the addictiveness of sugar as a substance. That wasn't my intent at all, nor did I feel my writing expressed that. You could have replaced sugar with "fast food", "chips", "starbucks", etc in my writing to get the same meanining. My intent was to discuss people that use "addiction" to mask what is fundamentally a lack of willingness to not indulge in eating yummy food.

      People can get addicted to all sorts of things, but many people are misusing the term.

      Delete
    2. People can beat a hell of a lot of addictions, too. I have quit smoking twice. I have gone from three energy drinks a day and two-three candy bars a day to cutting those out entirely to slowly adding energy drinks back in, but not to the extent of 3 a day.

      People buck drinking and hard drugs too.

      I'm not trying to say that being addicted to something isn't an excuse, just that, it isn't always a death sentence and someone who does want to improve will be taking steps to either kill or manage said addictions.

      Delete
    3. My apologies as well then, I thought you misunderstood the common definition of addiction.

      To both above: I think it was primarily the point of comparing candy/sugar to addictions with severe consequences that was most lost on me. I will say, based on the folks I see daily walking around me; I wouldn't hesitate to believe anyone that tells me they're addicted to sugar. But at the end of the day, regardless the addiction, people are addicted because they began and continue to engage in those activities. I agree that "cold turkey" quitting isn't an option in some cases, but there are tools and crutches available to deal with nearly every addiction out there. I think that being addicted to something shouldn't ever be used as an excuse for anything other than as an excuse to break the habit if that excuse is in the way of your goals. At the end of the day, I guess I don't really believe that people are misusing the term addiction in the sense that they're not actually addicted to something - but rather in the sense that being addicted doesn't excuse what should be done. Maybe that's what the article was saying anyway? Cheers~

      Delete
    4. Funny enough, I used "sweets" instead of sugar in the hopes to avoid the discussion on sugar addiction, haha.

      I have been around a lot of addicts. I am pretty familiar with what it looks like. I also see a lot of folks who jump to that word way too early. You may not have experienced the same, and if so, your existence is most likely less frustrating than mine, haha.

      Delete