Monday, November 18, 2019

HIGHER POWERS, FAITH AND IDOLATRY




I’ve written before on how my formal educational background is politics, with an undergrad and masters focused on political science, and that, prior to that, I was the top theology student in my Catholic high school, which was somewhat scandalous being that I achieved that having not been Catholic.  I bring all that up because, as a high school student deciding on what major to pursue in college and having zero interest in going into any sort of theology related field, I picked politics because it appeared to be the next closest thing.  I bring all THAT up because one of the key characteristics of both areas is the determination and control of what one believes in.  The parallels and overlaps are honestly rather fascinating, and a mastery of one tends to allow a significant understanding of the other.  And you, as a trainee, can take the lessons from these two fields to understand the significance of what you vest your faith in as a “higher power” and how it controls the way you think and act.

Image result for Buddy Christ
For instance, now I'm just confused...

What (or who) we believe in is always the most important part of Western religions, and this is easily observed in the 10 Commandments.  Start with number 1 (paraphrased, because it’s funnier that way): “I am your God: don’t have any other gods”.  Ok, cool, what’s the second?  “Don’t say my name in vain”.  Ok, this guy is a real big deal, got it.  Number 3?  “Block off your Sundays (or Saturdays if you’re sticking with the Old Testament…or Fridays if you want something slightly more “modern) for me”.  Alright alright, so apparently this dude is a REAL big deal.  Ok, let’s just skip to the middle here.  What’s number 5?  “Oh yeah, hey, don’t kill people.”  Well f**k me, we spent a 3rd of our commandments just spelling out how big a deal God is and it’s only halfway through that we find out we shouldn’t be killing each other?  You’d think that would be pretty high up there, no?  But that’s the point: figuring out what and who we believe in is HUGE, and needs to be established before we can move on to the important stuff.

The US Bill of Rights has a similarly hilarious bent to it.  First, it should be understood that the Founding Fathers never saw fit to include a Bill of Rights because everything that was in the Bill of Rights was already IN the Constitution: you just had to read the damn thing.  But, just like how folks won’t spend an afternoon reading a training manual to avoid spending 5 years screwing around in the gym, people demanded a “cliffnotes” for their doctrine of government.  And again, what do we see in the first amendment to the Constitution?  Freedom of religion.  The citizens of the United States KNEW the significance of being told what they could and could not believe in, and they wanted to decide that for themselves.  They knew that, once the government started controlled who and what we believed in, the controlled pretty much everything.  This was the FIRST amendment, meaning it was the very first thing they came up with when they were deciding “what protections and freedoms should we be allowed”.  Know where they decided to protect themselves from cruel and unusual punishment?  The 8th amendment.  Meaning they first went “Hey, the government shouldn’t get to tell me what I believe in” and then, several hours later, they said “Oh yeah, also, the government shouldn’t be allowed to rip out my fingernails”.  Know when they decided that humans shouldn’t own other humans like property?  The 13th amendment: in 1865, about 80 years after they wrote the original Bill of Rights.  THAT is how crucial they felt it was to determine what they believe in.


Image result for thomas jefferson
When you can write "all men are created equal" while owning 80 of said men, you get to have a smug look like that


I bring up all this rambling history to point out that for millennia people understood the significance of believing in a higher power and the sheer power such belief held, and it’s why you, as a trainee, need to embrace the significance of this.  Faith is an incredibly powerful tool in the toolbox, and its absence hamstrings several trainees.  Some folks out there are training atheists: they refuse to believe in anything.  In turn, these folks constantly undermine their own progress, because as soon as they read or hear about an effective method, they immediately spring into action to find something that disproves this very same method.  And there’s no shortage of that information out there: if you want to find it, you can.  Soon, these folks exist in a world with no higher powers: nothing to vest their faith in, and they suffer existential torment and an inability to self-actualize.  In their attempt to be “too smart to be fooled”, they’ve robbed themselves of the power that faith and fanaticism grant to so many others.

In the middle of the spectrum, there are those that have faith in “the way”.  This is to say, those that have vested all their faith in the higher power that is their program or coach.  You’ve seen these before, and we’ve had derogatory terms for them as well such as “HIT Jedis” and “Cultfit”, but it’s also true for the Westside or Die crowd, Deep Water, 5/3/1, Juggernaut, etc etc.  And as I wrote above: you can EASILY find something online that “disproves” all of these methods if you were so inclined.  HOWEVER, those that are truly “bought in”, the real deal fanatics and zealots, those that have fully vested their faith in the “higher power” that is the program, simply don’t care.  For sure, those that are simply paying lip service in their attempts to “get into heaven” will always have that lingering doubt and never get to fully realized the benefit of this real deal faith, but we’ve frequently observed the benefits that the real fanatics experience with their faith in “the way”.  If you can find a way that you are willing to give yourself to, you will be all the better for it.

Image result for mentzer brothers
I bet the Mentzer brothers would feel PRETTY silly to find out now that HIT doesn't work

However, I suggest one alternative course of action: make yourself your own higher power.  Have faith in oneself, and a strong, firm, unflinching belief that, no matter what, you will overcome and succeed.  Have an ego, be prideful, be arrogant, all of those things that other entities tell you are sins and evils.  Why?  Because THOSE entities want to have control over you, and they do so by not allowing you faith in yourself.  Nietzsche wrote about this in his Genealogy of Morals, of how the ruled are taught one sets of morals while the rulers another, and what you choose to believe in will greatly alter where you fit in those categories.  If you believe that, no matter what course of action you take, you will somehow make it work, chance are, you’ll be right.  If you’re always doubting yourself, wondering if you’ve made a wrong decision, using “I can’t”, coming up with excuses, examples and justifications for why you will come up short and fail, that’s exactly what you will do. 

You are the only being on this planet like you.  You have so much potential and ability if you choose to tap into it and employ it.  But, ultimately, you need to believe in yourself FIRST before you can do so.  And, specifically, as your own higher power, you have to believe in the thing you can BECOME, rather than the thing that you are.  Sure, who you are now may be small, weak, frail, etc, but that is not who you can become.  So long as the belief is there that there is something great within you that needs to be realized, you have the ability to accomplish great things.  Put your faith in yourself and worship at your own altar. 

6 comments:

  1. This post was another great read ! This may be my first time commenting, but I always (re)read and appreciate all of your posts.
    I can relate a lot to this, considering I've turned into a HIT and PROM fanatic since a few months ago, and have been well on the way to meet my goals by following that approach. That sort of training is something I picked up from you after I saw you mentioning it and producing great results with it, in spite of everyone that says those methods can't possibly work for some bullshit scientific reason.

    Your writing is much appreciated ! Can I leave you a reader request ?
    I know you've faced many injuries and have had times when you were smaller and weaker than you'd like, and I observe the same with many top athletes, with Big Z being a particular example of someone who is mocked and looked down upon by some people because he's currently not at his prime, even though he is the strongest man, as well the greatest strongman, who ever lived. I get the impression that some people just want to see circus acts and freaks for their own amusement, they only value and respect others for as long as they are at the absolute peak of their athletic abilities, attaching their worth as competitors and as people, as well as their lifting legacy, purely to some ephemeral notion of absolute everpresent pristine physical ability, which, to my mind, relates to a selfish, destructive and ignorant view of what Strength is. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, if you're ever willing to share them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man,

      Means a lot that you took the time to comment. Appreciate how much you've read, and how well it's impacted your performance.

      I can definitely cover that topic soon, although it sounds like you've already got some pretty strong opinions on the matter, haha. Fundamentally, it's going to boil down to the point that the majority of humanity lacks any sort of admirable qualities and, in turn, earning the admiration of said humans is really not worthwhile. It's not worth caring about the opinions of those who never have or will achieve anything.

      Delete
    2. Even though I'm usually open to change my mind, I generally hold a strong opinion when I believe to have grounds for doing so, hahaha. I definitely see the point you're making there, and totally agree !
      That's sort of where I was trying to get to.

      My training background consists of making lots of dumb mistakes for the last five years, still being generally weak because I made them and only having started to train decently for the last months. That is my pool of experience, and all the knowledge I have mainly stems from there and also from interactions I've had and stuff I've learned from people like yourself and pro lifters. So, while I feel like I have already figured a couple things out and have justly earned the right to have my own perspective on very few subjects, I realize that people like you have a heck of a lot more experience than I do and thus can offer very rich perspectives about lifting, regardless of what mine are. That's why I always make a point of listening and engaging accomplished people when possible.
      Whatever you decide to write about is a good read, man. Thanks for the reply !

      Delete
  2. I may have accidentally double posted, so apologies if I have.

    Anyways, Good stuff Mythical. Believing in a training program or philosophy for long enough or hard enough has always been something I've struggled with.

    I've got a question. From what I can tell, you really like any training program that involves working really hard, and recovering well afterwards.

    What about the works of Dan John or Pavel Tsatsouline? They really seem to espouse lots of "easy" work, being fresh as much as one can, not working yourself hard enough to the point of needing more than a day of recovery a week, and building technique and strength from there.

    What are your thoughts on that sort of training? Would you find it useful for yourself at this stage in your training experience? Are there any major flaws in it, in your opinion?

    That's a lot of questions, admittedly. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words dude.

      I was actually quite a fan of Pavel's in my early days, and used Pavel's 3-5 interspaced with bouts of Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards for about my last 2 years of college and first year post-grad. I'm also a big fan of Dan John, although I haven't run any of his programs.

      Those training methods absolutely work. There's been enough results to prove it. 5/3/1 uses a similar approach too, since it's submax work. It's just now how I prefer to train. The emphasis on those training styles is "strength as a skill", and it's about getting very good at the skill of moving heavy weights (and usually in a limited selection of movements), and skill development just doesn't excite me. I prefer training based around the notion of subjecting the body to significant stress and forcing it to adapt, especially across a variety of weird angles. Training that I have to "survive". Ultimately, I want to get stronger across a lot of different spectrums aside from just my ability to move heavier weight.

      I am more than certain I could use that style of training to great effect if I were so inclined, but I just have on desire to do so.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete