Monday, February 10, 2020

THE BARBARIAN VS THE MONK: BRUTALITY OVER TECHNIQUE-PART I: SLAMMING YOUR WAY OUT OF THE TRIANGLE CHOKE




This title is a massively over ambitious word salad, but this is fundamentally a combination of all of my nerdy obsessions and philosophy, so let’s give it a shot.  In fact, it got so overly ambitious I ended up having to break it into a few parts. 

This request comes by way of reader “The American”, who requested I discuss my experience in combat sports as it related to my focus on strength, and I quickly replied that I was a pretty awful combat sports athlete due to my inherent lack of athleticism and coordination along with my propensity toward oafishness.  Techniques basically took me twice as long to learn, which also meant my toolbox was half as big as everyone else, so I only knew a handful of submissions and the odds of me really landing one was pretty limited.  However, the one area I DID tend to shine was strength and conditioning (ok, so that’s two areas), with the former seemingly significantly neglected by a majority of those training for the sport.  Sometimes this was a hindrance, as it meant that I was prone to trying to force submissions to work rather than rely on technique, but other times it opened up avenues that were not regularly afforded to other trainees, to include one of my favorite submission defenses of all time: slamming out of the triangle choke.

Before going on any further, for those of you unfamiliar with the triangle choke as it relates to combat sports, allow me to provide some examples of what I’m talking about

Image result for triangle choke

For you BJJ elitist out there, I'm sure everyone in these pictures is doing it wrong and only you have the one true lineage

As you can see, the move is fairly technical and relies on the mastery of the person on the bottom (in the guard position) to be able to effectively position and maneuver themselves such that they use their aggressor’s OWN arm along with the defender’s legs to choke out their opponent.  Like the majority of submissions, there’s an understanding that the only defense against a submission is BEFORE it’s locked in, as, once it’s locked in, it’s not simply a matter of time before the person being submitted either passes out or has a limb broken, at which point they need to “tap out” and admit defeat.

However, for those of you that aren’t versed in combat sports and simply read my blog as lifters, let me ask you something: doesn’t this look like the bottom of a good morning?

Image result for triangle chokeImage result for weightlifting good morning
Rest assured: someone is about to have a bad morning

Oh boy did I love slamming people once they had the triangle choke on me, because it is one of those things you can only get away with if you’re decently strong, which, in turn, makes it a pretty unpredictable “submission defense”.  And I put submission defense in quotes because anyone who actually plays the submission game will scoff at this, since it’s absolutely NOT grappling and is simply pure brutality as a means of escaping.  But slamming people out of the triangle choke wasn’t just as active submission defense: it was passive as well.  Primarily because, once you slam a dude out of a triangle choke the first time, they REALLY don’t want that to happen to them again.  Most folks tend to think they’re going to be in a “comfortable” position when they have the triangle choke locked in, and when you start aggressively slamming the everloving hell out of the back of their skull, that comfort is gone, and now you’ve removed that entire tool from their toolbox.  This is true to the point that I’d very often BAIT the triangle choke, get into someone’s guard, give my arm away as a gift, wait for the triangle to start getting applied, and then smash them until they gave it up, knowing that I’d now removed that threat from the fight and they had to now fight MY stupid game of fighting, with little technique and lots of brutality.  Because, as we often observe, one can overcome a discrepancy in technique with a massive surplus of brutality.

One of the best displays of this ever in the sport of MMA was Bob Sapp vs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira which, if you’ve not had the delight of viewing before, I will link below.  Specifically with the Joe Rogan commentary, because Joe (rightfully) spends the majority of the fight marveling over how gigantic Bob Sapp is and how he was holding his own against one of the greatest Jiu Jitsu fighters of all time



Image result for bob sapp piledriver nogueira
Here is the most important part, if you don't want to watch the whole video

Coming into this fight, Bob had an amount of fight training time and experience that could be measured by episodes of King of the Hill, but he brought something that is very hard to prepare for in training: an absurd amount of brutality…paired with a 150lb bodyweight advantage that was ALL muscle.  When Nog went for a takedown, Bob sprawled on Nog, wrapped his arms around his body, PICKED HIM UP AND PILEDROVE HIM.  They may say that a triangle, once successfully applied, has no defense, but I’m pretty sure they meant the piledriver when they wrote that, because what the hell are you supposed to do there?  Watch the whole fight, see Bob muscle out of subs, throw Nog out of the mount, and spend his time “trapped” in Nog’s guard smashing his face into a bloody pulp with hammerfists, completely oblivious to the “danger” of being in the guard of a talented jiu jitsu fighter.  Yes, Nog DOES win (spoilers), but boy did it take a LOT of technique to finally survive and overcome that brutality.

And we saw this same sort of brutality when it came to Tank Abbott and Brock Lesnar, and in doing so, people will say the same thing: “that wasn’t brutality winning: it was strength.  The weight difference was so significant that it was insurmountable”.  Ok: let’s take an example of two guys in the same weight class: Matt Hughes vs Carlos Newton



Image result for street fighter double ko
Once again, a quick summary


There it is.  Carlos Newton was a phenomenal jiu jitsu fighter, and though Matt Hughes was a very accomplished wrestler, he wasn’t known for his submission game or technical skill.  And when Carlos had that triangle locked on, I’m sure he thought that the fight was over.  It was sunk deep and as tight as it could get, and when Matt picked him up, you can briefly see where Carlos gives it a smirk, as though it was the desperate act of a dying man…until it dawns on him just how committed Matt is toward getting this slam.  To the point that Matt employed his own body’s failing consciousness as the mechanism to slam Carlo’s skull full force into the mat, rendering him totally unconscious.  And all Matt needed was for the blood to get to his brain faster than Carlos regained consciousness from a massive concussion: the kind of insane plan that can ONLY be hatched from brutality.

This discussion can go on forever, and for the sake of brevity I’m going to wrap it up here and save more for future parts, but think of the lessons one can take from the example of slamming your way out of the triangle choke.  In competition, you’ll inevitably go up against someone that, on paper, is better than you in every single way, yet the variable you can control that can lead to victory is just how much brutality you are willing to bring.  Someone who is technically better than you may simply not be prepared for just how ridiculous and mean you are willing to be in order to escape defeat and secure victory.  The same is true when it comes to dealing with the adversity of existence or your training: even when you are “beaten”, there is always the option of success by brutality.  And much like how it’s a passive defense of the triangle, display enough brutality often and frequently enough and, pretty soon, nothing seeks to ever put you in that triangle choke again.

14 comments:

  1. This post was a nice read as always and you really drove the point home. Although I pretty much only like lifting, I do have a little interest in fighting in spite of being very inexperienced and ignorant about it. You've made good points, and one that made total sense to me was just how much strength and size contribute toward the outcome of a fight. I say that because, as I have very little fighting training and am also lacking in the coordination department, I've often resorted to muscle my way out of the scraps I've been a part of, and the stronger/bigger I've gotten over time, the more I've come to realize that if someone is strong enough, they will be able to have outs that weaker people just won't have acess to during a fight. I'm still nowhere near as strong as you, but I could definitely see what you were talking about in this post and, ironically, reading this has inspired me commit to the decision of getting back into some Krav Maga classes. Granted it's not a fighting sport, haha, but it's useful when it comes to defending myself, so it's good enough for me.
    "Sucess by brutality" is indeed a good axiom ! Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated dude. I still have the itch to get back into it myself, but not enough to do anything meaningful about it, haha. Being strong is rarely ever a bad thing, and in a scrap, I'd rather be strong than weak. Just gotta recognize when you're no longer learning because you're forcing stuff.

      Delete
  2. Considering you also head to deal with staying in weight classes, what did your strength/hypertrophy training look like at this point in your life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew very little about how to train back when I was super into martial arts and didn't divide anything into training phases or anything like that. Bounced around between bodypart splits, Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards, Super Squats, Pavel's stuff, etc. Outside of high school wrestling, I wasn't worried about staying in a weight class, and back then I REALLY didn't know what I was doing. I wanted to be big and strong AND able to fight, rather than just the latter, and eventually big and strong beat out being able how to fight.

      But it's worth observing that, even having no idea what I was doing, throwing enough effort at the weightroom made me a big and strong dude as far as recreational level combat sports went. It was rare I wasn't the strongest dude at a training session, and I wasn't anything like I am now. Resistance training tended to be downplayed at that point, and maybe it's the whole "skinny nerd beating the jocks with martial arts" stereotype in effect.

      However, I'm also talking about the scene back in the early to mid 2000s. No idea what it's like now.

      Delete
  3. I second Nix's question.

    Great post! Nog vs. Sapp is actually my favorite fight of all time, and I'm not surprised you used it in this post. MMA fans are quick to discredit fighters like Lesnar because of their size/strength advantage, but are we really going to pretend that the guy who won the HW belt after only a few fights wasn't doing something right by being so large and strong?

    Coming from a boxing background, I've noticed that raw strength doesn't have *that much* carryover, at least for me. After my first hip surgery, I could barely do a quarter squat, but my punches were just as strong. However, my clinch strength took a nosedive. Striking and grappling seem to be different in that regard, though I wonder how something like a power clean/snatch carries over to punching power. I think it was Earnie Shavers who credited his power to working out with sledgehammers, so I'd imagine that explosive lifts have carryover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so loved back when Bob Sapp first came on the scene: total force of nature. People would point to him and go "see: strength doesn't win fights!", ignoring the fact that, even if it doesn't WIN fights, it certainly undoes a LOT of years spent learning how to fight quickly, and that's to say nothing over beating Ernesto Hoost TWICE in his own sport. It's hard to remember now, since he's become a parody of himself, but back in the day he was a real draw.

      Strength is definitely harder to appreciate in striking. It shows itself far easier in grappling. There's something to be said about explosiveness, but it's really just heavy hands, bad intentions and TIMING that make the difference. But like you said: there's always the clinch to even things out.

      Delete
  4. I fought in Muay Thai for a while, and had powerlifted for 5 years before that (1365 total, at 165lbs bodyweight, under 18 yrs old). No one was as strong as I was, and it made clinch work extremely easy. I wasn't the best fighter by any means, and my propensity for using strength resulted in injuries on myself (Simply chronic overuse) I'm still struggling with years later, but to your point brutality truly can be effective.

    I wouldn't recommend it tho lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not the most effective or efficient way, haha. Very exhausting, but it can certainly be fun.

      Delete
    2. This dynamic is doubly true for Muay Thai, as well. I stuck around 165lbs, at 5 foot 6. My opponents were all much, much taller than me but not even approaching my strength.

      Delete
  5. I won so many BJJ fights via my conditioning. My defense was really good at one point but my offence wasn't. So I just let them get tired and defended everything they threw at my. Halfway through the fight I just slipped a Switch and started to attack and grapple with all I had. This lasted as Long as my Opponent had gas in the tank and then I submitted them with an armbar or a arm-triangle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a very similar strategy with wrestling in high school. Hold on to the third round and then just spear them and man handle a pin. But I lost on points a lot of times otherwise, haha.

      Delete
    2. Haha. I usually just threw people as much as I could.. didn't win matches really but sure did piss off my opponents with it. My conditioning was pretty terrible though and I usually lost on that.

      Delete
  6. I know this is an older post but man do I love this. I have been binge reading your blog and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! This was a great series to write. Good to have you as a reader.

      Delete