Sunday, April 12, 2020

WHEN I CAN'T THINK OF WHAT ELSE TO WRITE, THERE'S ALWAYS BULLET POINTS




-Everyone is so quick to say “pull deadlifts from a dead stop: it’s how you’ll do it in a competition”, but I RARELY see this same thing said about the bench press.  For some reason, a touch and go bench press gets far more forgiveness than a touch and go deadlift, despite the fact that, in competition, a pause is required when benching.  What’s more, a touch and go deadlift will always have at least ONE deadstop rep (the first one), so the guy doing a set of touch and go deads is STILL getting in some “competition practice” (especially when one considers that it’s typically powerlifters [or should I say “powerlifters] making this claim, where one only NEEDS to do 1 rep in competition), whereas the trainee that does a set of touch and go bench press NEVER gets in that critical paused rep ala competition.  How interesting the lines we decide to draw in the sand.

3 Horrific Derek Poundstone Injuries That Are Not in Vain
Wouldn't it suck to bench and deadlift touch and go and all you ever do is get as big and strong as this guy?

-The best conditioning exercise is the one that you’ll do.  I got an airdyne bike off the facebook yardsale site because everyone swore to me it was the bee’s pajamas and would change my life.  I used it 3 or 4 times and then sold it again.  It took up too much space and I just plain didn’t care to use it, primarily because I didn’t care about riding a bike.  Meanwhile, these days I’m jumping rope in my basement and have a Bas Rutten “Body Action System” on order, because I still miss my fighting days and will retap into that era to get in some extra exercise.  It won’t have 100% carryover to lifting, but it’s far better than NOT doing conditioning.

-I was on r/strongman on reddit and told a dude that I thought strongman records were silly.  He asked why I even bothered to post there if I felt that way, since strongman records were “half the sport”.  I replied that I was on the subreddit because I competed in strongman, and then I asked him if he did as well.  He got VERY defensive at that question.  There’s nothing wrong with being a fan of a sport, there’s nothing wrong with being a passionate fan of a sport, but when you start deciding that what you as a fan enjoy matters more than the people actually doing the sport think, you’re being a goober.  This is why most legitimate sports have players unions.

-The pandemic has been an illuminating experience to find out who REALLY “lived training” vs who just wanted to be seen going to the gym.  There are dudes getting after it with a big rock and some resistance bands, and there are dudes sitting on their thumb in a home with a doorframe pull up bar, adjustable dumbbells, cardio equipment, a bowflex, etc etc, absolutely NOT training because “I don’t have a rack or barbell”.  Winners find a way.

No excuses - African Bodybuilders | Muscle Madness - YouTube
Please kindly stop whining

-Speaking of “winners find a way”, shout out to Flappinit over at t-nation, who starting 5/3/1 Building the Monolith about 2 weeks before the world shut down and has continued to run the program without interruption, to include the 1.5lbs of ground beef and dozen eggs a day, by jerry rigging a rack together and hustling to get a bar and plates together.  Read his log over on the site if you get a chance.

-No: I don’t care what Eddie Hall has to say about Thor.  Folks: this is kayfabe, plain and simple.  Perhaps I take it for granted, since I was born in the mid 80s and professional wrestling was huge when I was a kid, but I can spot manufactured drama to sell a storyline pretty easily.  I feel like a lot of folks that grew up in the absence of that influence are now having their innocence played against them in their adulthood.  But suffice it to say, you look pretty silly when you’re thinking it’s real.  Appreciate the show for the show that it is.

-I put some fat gripz on my ab wheel and my persistent elbow pain has vanished.  About the only good thing I ever found to do with them.

-Hey, speaking of fat, could people PLEASE quit memeing their nutrition when it comes to strongman?  If you can’t push press 200lbs, you don’t need to eat 8000 calories a day.  And maybe we could try to put on just a LITTLE bit of muscle with all that bodyweight?

-Someone on the starting strongman facebook page just asked me if Ironmind was a “reliable source” to buy equipment from.  Learn your history folks.

Strongman Champions League Lightweight World Championships
Ironmind AND MHP: some REAL history there

-I got my bodyweight up to what was most likely one of my highest points in prep to compete at 220 before my comp got canceled.  I’ve been losing weight now, and once again marvel at how simple it is: eat less food.  I also find it easy, as much as that chaps people when I say it, because all you have to do is…nothing.  Its inaction: how easy is that?  You have to put in effort to eat.  If you wanna make losing weight easier, do ALL the cooking and cleaning in your house, and suddenly meals will be sparse.

-One of my more recent posts “Maybe you should just quit” gained a lot of attention, with MANY folks upset with the message.  Some of those folks even called for me to stop writing, as apparently I’m quite bad at it.  How these people didn’t choke on their own irony boggles my mind.

-Ok, seriously, say it with me now: axle and log.  Not “axle bar and log bar”.  Why would you say the latter?  Do you say “barbell bar”?  “Weight plate disk”?  “Katana sword”?  “Boot shoe”? 

-Hey, you got some downtime right now?  Why not read “Powerlifting Basics Texas Style”?  And if you’re a diligent follower of the blog, I mean, why not read it again.

-I am teaching my kid Tae Kwon Do during this downtime, so I’ve taken to stretching again after a 20 year hiatus so I can kick above my waist.  I’m honestly excited about the first injury I get in this post-stretching era just so I can go “see: stretching doesn’t prevent injury”.

Cuban Taekwondo athlete Angel Matos kicks Referee in Face! - YouTube
Hell, stretching can even hurt OTHER people

-People tell me “fitness is for everyone” and that I’m myopic for feeling otherwise, but really reflect on that.  It’s VERY short-sighted to say something is for everyone, because this is assuming that ALL people have the same end goal.  Specifically, in this case: longevity.  There’s nothing wrong with wanting to live as long as possible and to do so as pain free as possible, but to assume it’s everyone’s goal is ridiculous.  To assume it SHOULD be everyone’s goal is egocentric and mothering.  Some folks aspire for hedonism, some sacrifice the end for the beginning or the middle, and some folks are willing to take risks.  For some folks, there’s no room for fitness if they want to accomplish the OTHER things they want.  To assume only your goals are the ones everyone else should have is silly.    

-The pandemic has also illustrated another pandemic in thinking, or, specifically, an inability to think.  Trainees have been so used to always having a rigid structure and plan that, when removed of the ability to comply with it, they literally have NO idea what to do.  Back before everything was mapped out and there was an app for everything, people would just throw stuff against the wall and see what stuck.  Creativity was our ONLY tool in the weight room, and we came up with some wild stuff.  Now is the time to start doing that again, but the fear of doing anything “sub-optimally” has reduced many trainees to a state of refusing to do anything.  What could be more sub-optimal than no training?  Now is the time to do all that stuff that “doesn’t work”.  Stupid high volume bodyweight work, HIT (that’s how you make light weight heavy), pre-exhaust, isolations before compounds, mega high rep sets, etc etc.

15 comments:

  1. That last point is so true. I see so many people be totally lost about what to do, when really, this is a rather great opportunity to build up some great PRs once you return. I might just be lucky and have a bar(not an actual barbell) and some weights, but even that is good enough to get some proper training in. Plus with the staying at home thing, why not try to train every day? What could go wrong. Great post as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks man, and good to see you here. It's interesting how restrictions can be incredibly liberating. Once you no longer have the option to do things right, you can try ALL sorts of ways to do things wrong.

      Delete
  2. Since the quarantine, I have just been doing pushups and goblet squats with a kettlebell.

    I was able to retrieve the bells from the gym (since I at least own those), before everything closed down, and its something to at least allow me to not go completely crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another nice bullet point post. You know, when you spoke about those who really want to train as opposed to those who care more about being seen going to the gym, I took a minute to think about some folks I know: drug cycles, supplementation, neverending training sessions, pretty strict dieting and/or bravado for days. Yet now, as far as I know, a solid chunk of them are whitering away during the pandemic. I have no sympathy for people who love to talk about how seriously they take training and the "lifestyle", and then chicken out when things get rough. I've been lucky enough to personally watch inmates train, as they make no excuses and still get impressive results... I also believe it would benefit others to have that experience. I have had a home gym for almost a year now, but even if I didn't, I'd sure as hell invest in it now and, in a worse case scenario, lift some rocks, household items and destroy myself with bodyweight work and so on. We just gotta make do and in times like these we get to see who really *needs* to train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting the amount of work they put in.

      They don't ask "Should I walk or run stairs for maximum gains" or "how many pushups should I do or what variety etc". They just do.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely, man. The longer I lift and the less I suck at it, the more I realize that the vast majority of this just boils down to hard work, not specifics. Stay strong, man.

      Delete
    3. So much of results just boils down to time in and hard work. Hard work over time, really. Having a base to draw intensity from certainly helps also.

      I don't know how to fix the last one. I certainly did my fair share of video games but I also did martial arts, dance, and physically demanding jobs for years.

      Delete
    4. It's interesting for sure. Despite the fact I write the blog, I genuinely don't care to discuss training offline. It's not how I want to define myself, and so many of those conversations just seem silly. Meanwhile, you've got the people whose presence is all "about that lifestyle", and now, when push comes to shove, it turns out it was all just a show. You gotta wonder if they're trying to convince everyone else or just themselves?

      Delete
    5. In the "lift some rocks, and destroy myself with bodyweight exercises" camp here. Half my workout these days is hill sprints, climbing trees, lifting rocks at the beach, and calisthenics, and I'm honestly having way more fun than I ever did at the gym. I really don't get the people that are willing to just give up completely and de-evolve into sedentary, shapeless amoebas.

      Delete
  4. I'm a beginner who started lifting in February, I saw the lockdown coming so I got together some adjustable dumbbells and bands since I usually think 10 steps in advance (Kind of good, kind of bad sometimes.)

    Been doing Kroc rows, one-arm DB presses, banded good mornings, bodyweight squats, pushups etc. I think my pressing will definitely increase in strength, hopefully my lower body lifts wil also increase in strength when everything re-opens.

    Also, my upper body lifts had been lagging hard behind my lower body stuff even though I know I can do better because the Greyskull LP program calls for microplates (0.5kg plates) on each side when you progress on the bench press and strict press. I think I will definitely alter that when I come back because I was fearful of tampering with the program but really it's just 4 lifts done for 3x5 with an AMRAP set at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big fan of these bullet point posts - I've read some of your past ones multiple times as I find there are a lot of nuggets of wisdom in them. I gotta say, I read about your view of touch-n-go deadlifts and have implemented them myself ever since and can't say enough good things about them. I've been able to get in much more quality deadlift sessions with that method as I have short arms and re-setting every rep makes me want to not deadlift at all, lol.

    Question about your ab-wheel progress - do you do them on your knees for high-reps or fully standing ones? How long did it take you to get to fully standing ones? I've been doing ab wheel for a while now and have gotten pretty good at them while on my knees, but still find standing one a bit daunting... wondering if it's a mental thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you dude.

      I do ab wheel standing. I was doing 4x20 or 4x25 (I forget which) on knees before I started with standing, and at that point was doing sets of 3 or 4 from what I remember (it's been a long while). I stick with sets of 8 these days.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply - I guess I need to work on them more because I can probably do about 20 on my knees but they're challenging at that point. I could do one or two full extension from standing but always get sketchy returning from full stretch position

      Delete
  6. "But suffice it to say, you look pretty silly when you’re thinking it’s real. Appreciate the show for the show that it is."

    If anything, I want the show to get even bigger than it is. $501,000,000 prize if Thor gets the 501kg lift. 501,000 lashes from Eddie Hall if he doesn't.

    In all seriousness, I do wonder how big of a motivator bigger cash prizes would be for more world records. For example, if a billionaire announced a $600,000,000 prize for the first 600kg Deadlift, I'm willing to bet we'd get that lift within the decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cash is a huge motivator for sure. The fact that Thor competes in strongman rather than powerlifting is proof of such concept. But hopefully people start offering cash for more interesting competitions, because maxes are lame, haha.

      Delete