Saturday, November 7, 2020

THERE IS NOTHING LEFT TO READ ABOUT

  

The title of this blog is something I’ve realized time and time again as it relates to my interest of getting bigger and stronger. I’ve been writing a lot of book reviews recently and have taken to reading and re-reading much on the topic of training, and the unfortunate reality of the situation is that there’s really nothing out there FOR me to read.  At least, insomuch as it relates to learning something on the topic of getting bigger and stronger.  And this is not a declaration of arrogance and intellect, but far more an admission of the fact that I’ve picked an interest to pursue that REALLY doesn’t require much knowledge in order to achieve its goals.  This isn’t restoring classic cars or building computers or really anything that involves a deep knowledge base to succeed: getting bigger and stronger (or leaner for that matter) is simple.  And after 21 years of training, the fact of the matter is there is simply nothing left to read about anymore.



So do yourself a favor and just re-read this

 


Allow me to engage in some manner of reverse bragging, because I need to emphasize just how unaccomplished I am.  I’ve literally never had a coach as far as the realm of getting bigger and stronger is concerned.  I’ve had coaches for sports (wrestling, martial arts, football, ice hockey, etc), but many of those actually worked AGAINST said goals due to the bizarre amount of superstition that occurs in that realm as it relates to getting bigger and stronger.  On top of that, anyone that has seen any video of me in motion knows I am inherently NOT athletically inclined, I come from poor genetic stock (mother is 5’ and very petite, father is 5’8 and slight of frame, no athletes in my family), I have experienced significant injuries to my shoulder and knee, haven’t slept for 8 uninterrupted hours since 2010, have never had a training partner, been training in a home gym without access to the latest and greatest equipment since 2008, and the list goes on.  I am NOT gifted or advantaged.  On top of that, I have zero formal education in getting bigger and stronger, aside from a 100 level nutrition course I took as an elective in undergrad (focused on elderly care) and a similar weight training course.  I bring ALL of that up because, even WITH all of that I have achieved significant success in the pursuit of getting bigger, stronger and, in my most recent pursuit, leaner.  I’ve won powerlifting meets (as in “best lifter”, rather than just my weight class) and strongman competitions, completed 2 half marathons and dieted down to “internet single digit bodyfat” just winging it, most times intentionally NOT doing what people tell me to do in order to achieve these goals because I’m really goddamn stubborn and stupid and will do things “wrong” out of spite.

 

Which is why I find that there’s nothing to read about.  I’ve learned that I already KNOW how to achieve these goals…and it’s a bit of a letdown.  I see an article that talks about how to ensure you achieve maximal leanness, and I get really excited, only to realize that I already know how to get lean.  Build a strong press?  Oh man…wait, crap, I know how to do that.  I know how to build big muscles, strong muscles, shave off stubborn love handles, improve conditioning, etc etc.  And it’s such a terrible secret: effort, consistency and time.  That’s all it ever was.  Everything else is just window dressing and hype, because you can’t SELL effort, consistency and time.  But it’s the truth: if you work hard, consistently, for a long time, you will achieve all of your goals.


 


Much to the chagrin of the haters





And this is why I don’t read any studies that are put in front of me.  For one, it’s a RARE instance that someone shares a study with me because they want to benefit me.  In fact, there’s only one human on earth that does this (Hi Will!), and I think I tend to disappoint him because I’m too stupid to really grasp most of what is in them.  But otherwise, people send me studies because they want to “prove” me wrong about something.  And what the hell am I going to do with the information in a study?  It’s not going to tell me anything I don’t already know: work hard for a long time without breaks and you’ll achieve results.  Oh my, people that did leg extensions in the 6-10 rep range got 2.7% more muscle than those that trained in the 12-15 rep range?  I SO don’t care: have them both train for 20 years and the results will even out, or the difference will be so insignificant no one will care.  The folks that are so concerned about optimization have such a narrow view of the timeline when it comes to training.  None of these differences will matter once you get to “the end”: just find A way to train and eat and stick with it, you’ll get there.

 

There’s so much information out there on training and nutrition simply because there’s a demand to CONSUME this information.  People like to read about training and nutrition because they feel like it empowers them on the subject: as though, if they just acquire ENOUGH information on it, they too will be big and strong.  Unfortunately, the process can’t be rushed: you simply have to knuckle down and settle in for the long haul.  And, in turn, the producers of the information have to keep finding new ways to spin old data in order to continue to produce and sell things to the masses that demand it.  It creates an artificial sense that there is an abundance of information out there relating to the topic of getting bigger and stronger, when, in truth, it’s the same basic principle being repacked and reproduced.  Case in point, my frustration reading Josh Bryant’s “Tactical Strongman” and discovering it was just PHA training from the 60s being rebranded. 



McCallum modeling the OG "Gas Station Ready"

 


Which is why, when it comes to reading about lifting, I want to read something entertaining rather than informative.  It’s why “Powerlifting Basics: Texas Style” is my favorite book of all time when it comes to training, why Dan John is a fantastic author, why “The Complete Keys to Progress” is required reading: because these authors can tell STORIES, not just facts and figures.  How many scientific studies are you going to read before you realize you’ve read them all before?  It’s why I made this blog in the first place: I wanted there to be more material out there like that, so I decided to make some.  The body can only respond to a stimulus in so many different ways: we’ve pretty much already figured it all out, now it’s just a question of picking a way forward and acting on it.

 

And it IS simply about A way forward: it doesn’t matter what that way is.  I figured out how I wanted to train and eat and just stuck with it.  I’ve heard it all before: how I MUST stretch and do mobility, must foam roll, must train a muscle group 2x a week, must eat carbs, must use pre-workout supplements, must have rest days, etc etc.  The only thing I learned I must do is stick with my plan once I’ve made it.  People get big and strong with percentages, with intuition, with daily training, with HIT, with no plan, with coaching, etc etc.  People get lean with high carb, high fat, low protein, paleo, keto, no meat, carnivore, etc etc.  The only way people fail is by trying to rush the process, jumping from program to program and diet to diet in hopes of trying to find “the one true way”.  And with each new article and study that comes out, they find a new hope to latch onto, only to squander their growth by their inability to commit.



At least accomplish something if you're going to keep switching things up

 


There simply isn’t enough appreciation for the AMOUNT of time it takes to achieve significant results, as, along with creating content simply for the sake of selling it, many “fitness professionals” are big on promising big results in little time, primarily because THAT sells far better than a “get rick slow scheme”.  And the market is so saturated with this message that new trainees refuse to believe in the possibility that training time will be measured in YEARS, not weeks.  Which is why complexity reigns supreme again.  People experience “failed bulks/cuts” and think that it must have been an issue with nutrient timing or macro ratios or the wrong training protocol or sleep issues, etc etc, when the truth is that they simply didn’t train long enough to put on muscle during their gaining phase and they had no muscle to cut down to during the cut due to the incredibly short amount of training time they have.  Run this quick mental checklist whenever your outcome did not match your expectations: did you train hard enough, did you train consistently enough, and did you train long enough?  Most likely, 1 of those 3 wasn’t where it needed to be.  Fix THAT before you start worrying about peri-workout nutrition.

 

There is nothing left to read about: go do.

19 comments:

  1. Great post as allways,

    I also like the training-literature the most that is based around anecdotes. I realy like the books of Brooks Kubik for that matter. I can't remember if you ever mentioned him but his writing style is alot like John McCallums.

    In an older blog post you once asked why the whole world is relying on American training-literature, to which i answered that there are just not alot interresting publications here in europe (speaking for the german speaking countries).
    However, I just picked up a book by a fellow austrian called Robert Spindler. He is one of the last stage-performing strongman, and tours under his stagename "Eisenhans" (Ironhans).
    The book focuses on his training methods and the execution of traditional feats of strength, and is written with alot of historic context and personal stories.
    I gotta admit I'm only 50 pages in right now but so far its great.
    The book is called "My Oldtime Strongman Training".
    So maybe there are still some literary gems out there we are just not aware of.

    As soon I'm finished I'll read Powerlifting Basics Texas Style because the frequency at which you mention it gotta mean something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the response dude. I tried reading Dinosaur Training a while back and had difficulty getting past the beginning: I can give Brooks a fair shot again sometime. Cool to hear about finding something local there.

      You definitely owe it to yourself to read Powerlifting Basics. It's a fantastic read.

      Delete
    2. Maybe you will like it better now that you aren't expecting to learn something (because you won't).

      Delete
    3. Nah, at the time I was done learning: I just found the writing style unenjoyable. But I may not have given him a fair shake.

      Delete
  2. Have you thought of writing your own book in place of those that you cannot find? You already have a ton to work off with with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a shell of an e-book drafted out, but just don't have the time blocked off to seriously put the effort into it. The blog is far easier to work with in that regard.

      Delete
  3. Hey man, just wanted to let you know how much I've appreciated your training philosophies and thoughts here. I found myself upvoting your posts frequently enough on Reddit that I started to watch out for them, and when someone linked to your blog I was instantly a huge fan.

    I've just finished going back to the beginning and reading through everything over the last couple months. Lots of what you have to say really resonates with me and has strongly influenced how I think about training. It's funny, just as I was starting to read your blog I was trying to figure out how to incorporate more running into my life, and I was getting a little hung up on the whole idea of 'optimization' as well as trying to ascertain what was recommended at my height, weight, age, etc. So your blog in general couldn't have come at a better time for me - I read a few posts and basically said, 'Oh, maybe I should just go outside and run instead of sitting online trying to figure out how to run. What's the worst that could happen?'

    Turns out the worst that can happen is completing two half-marathons, running a 6:35 mile, and drastically improving my cardiovascular health (with significant carryover to lifting).

    Anyway, I don't want to drag this out, but I just wanted to say thanks. I've really loved reading your posts and will continue to do so. You've provided a lot of valuable information here. And as much as I like the detailed posts - the book reviews, the nutritional and training writeups, the home gym advice - what I appreciate most is the overarching philosophy of trying really hard for a really long time. That's definitely what I needed to hear when I started reading, and it will continue to be an idea I come back to whenever I find myself flagging.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, comments like these really make my day. Thanks so much for writing it. I'm really glad you got something out of the blog, and those accomplishments are awesome! Thanks for being a reader.

      Delete
  4. I am fairly new to lifting heavy weights and I haven't read many books about that topic. Most of what I learned I got from the eliteFTS website and Youtube channel and the rabbit holes that I dug from there.

    Besides the book from this weeks post, which books are required reading just for entertainment in your opinion and which should be read to learn about lifting (heavy) weights?

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For entertainment, Powerlifting Basics Texas Style, Super Squats, Deep Water, Complete Keys to Progress, Never Let Go, 365 Days of Brutality, Destroy the Opposition, Brawn, Beyond Bodybuilding

      Learning about lifting heavy weights? I would recommend experience. For programming ideas, 5/3/1 Forever, JTS Thoughtful approach to strength training, Deep Water, and many of the ones listed for entertainment.

      Delete
    2. thanks a lot! And I'm definitely working on the experience part :)

      Delete
    3. Just wanted to give you a reading update.

      As I had more time over the last few weeks, I've been going through the list.

      I've been reading so far: Powerlifting Basics Texas Style (that was so fun and I liked the simplicity of the routines), Super Squats, Deep Water (I got it for free by signing up on his mailing list). I also read Squat Every Day which was both intriguing and insightful.

      I am going to read JTS Thoughtful approach to strength training and Juggernaut Method next.

      My home gym should be up and running soon to, so I can get after it again, no matter what happens in the future.

      Delete
    4. Awesome to hear dude! I may just re-read Powerlifting Basics again. Too many people are enjoying it, haha. I'm working through "Purposeful Primitive" right now and enjoying it very much, if you find yourself wanting to grab another cheap e-book.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic read and couldn't agree more about the best reading material being that written by a decent story teller, and not just a fact regurgitator. Dan John could tell me how to tie my laces and I'd probably find that more entertaining then reading (or watching) the best 'science based' workout. Give me bro-science anyday.

    Also, if you are looking for any more decent reading materials, though you've probably read them, I find Bill Starr has some great ones. 'Training in Winter' being one that stands out. Stuart McRoberts and the likes of Dr Ken also have some good stories about lifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the recommendations. I'm hot and cold with McRobert. I enjoyed Brawn and couldn't stand Beyond Brawn. Sometimes he focuses too much on guys using steroids. Dr Ken and Bill always seemed cool: I'll have to look itup.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. started with Kelso shrugs yesterday, well, found another weakness XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that awesome? More to get strong!

      Delete
    2. I found myself on this quest of 'weakness'. I constantly aim to find the weakest links and bring them up and my lifts go up - like magic.

      I finally got a SSB for my mini home gym and I am so weak with this bar it's barely funny anymore. But I am looking forward being able to squat the same weight I do for high bar with the SSB and just see how my competition lifts evolve.

      Honestly, I can't figure out why so many people let their egos dictate what they train. This is by far the easiest way to get stronger out there. Just imagine you hadn't any weak spots left? What's there to do accept putting in your reps?

      I love this!

      Delete