Saturday, December 19, 2020

ON LIES

 

As much as I am a fan of living authentically, I think it’s worthwhile to discuss the value of lies and deception as it relates to getting bigger and stronger.  Before you begin thinking I’m talking about “e-stating” and rounding your bench to the nearest 100lbs when people ask, or calling yourself 12% bodyfat when you’ve got male breast tissue and love handles (or how, somehow, NO ONE on the internet is ever above 20% bodyfat), I’m not talking about lying to other people: I’m talking about lying to yourself.  And, of course, in order to appreciate that, one must have an understanding of the “self” being a separate entity than the body and, in many cases, the mind.  With that deliciously psychotic sounding intro, let me dive in to when and how lies and deception can be valuable for the trainee looking to get bigger and stronger.

 

The catalyst for this post comes from a recently performed 301 rep set of 135lbs on the high handle trap bar pull.

 



 

I’ve received MANY questions regarding that set, the primary one being “why”, which seems obvious to me: it makes me bigger and stronger.  But “how” is the second most popular question, and THAT is where lies and deception kick in.   Yes, I DID need to be strong and fit to accomplish this set, but many individuals are strong and fit (and strongER and fittER than me) and find themselves unable to accomplish sets like these.  That is because these people, most likely, lack the ability to lie to themselves like I can.

 

My previous PR on this exercise was 251 reps, set on Thanksgiving morning, in an attempt to make some room for some nutritional debauchery.  I felt VERY good that morning, and the 251 reps moved rather smoothly.  The day I set 301 did NOT feel that way.  I hit fatigue far earlier in the set than I did previously, and by rep 100 already knew I had made a mistake.  And that is when I told myself my first lie: I was only going to do 150 reps that day, and I would make it for it by taking fewer breaks at the top of the rep.  Well that was a lie, because we got to 150 reps and kept on trucking.   Observe my use of “we”, because yes, I DO consider my body, mind and self all different entities, and we’re all forced to work together on this awful group project I’ve come up with.



Like this, but more psychotic

 


But that first lie got me to 150 reps.  In the absence of that lie, I most likely would have quit at 100 reps, because it sucked at that point and I didn’t wanna do it.  I told myself we’d stop at 150 reps KNOWING it was a lie, but my body and mind can be pretty stupid, and they bit.  So 150 happened and reps kept coming, and I told myself “look: you’ve done 150.  What’s 50 more at that point?  That’ll be close to your first PR of 212, and then you’ll know you got good training stimulus”.  200 happened and I told myself “Are you really going to get to 200 reps and NOT set a PR?  It doesn’t have to be 300 today, but get at LEAST 252.”  252 happened and I told myself it was going to be 270: split the different.  And, of course, am I really going to do 270 and not hit 300?  And the cherry on top, of course, being, that ending at 300 JUST because it’s 300 is really stupid, so 1 more rep happened.

 

These sort of lies and broken promises are incredibly regular features in my training, and I know many endurance athletes that have laid claim to a similar approach.  The truth is: in times of duress, people are more willing to believe deception so long as it’s HAPPY deception.  People create more hope in dire situations, because it’s the only way to continue onward.  You can take advantage of that fact by openly deceiving yourself and having yourself believe YOUR OWN LIES.  It’s madness, but sanity never got anyone jacked.



See!


 

Other common lies in training: breaking high rep sets into smaller rep clusters.  A 20 rep squat is awful: counting 5 reps 4 times?  So much more manageable.  You’re at rep 12, but you’re TELLING yourself you only have 3 reps left rather than 8.  And you get those 3 and tell yourself you only have 5 reps left.  And Dan John turned me on to the idea of counting DOWN rather than up, which I found works really well too.  Running on a treadmill?  Keep telling yourself you’ll stop after the next quarter mile.  On a diet?  Promise yourself a delicious cheat meal at the END of the week.  Soul breaking conditioning workout?  Just 1 more round.  They key is, YOU have to know when you’re lying.  If you lie to yourself but then actually do what you lied about well, quite frankly, it was no longer a lie.  You told the truth, and that sabotaged your results.

 

Don’t feel bad about lying to your body like that either: your body sucks and lies to you ALL the time.   It’s always telling you that it CAN’T do any more, that it has reached its limit, that if you keep going something will break, or you’ll puke, or etc etc.  Bullcrap.  Your body has SO much more to give when you start pushing it.  Anyone that has ever done a set of Poundstone curls knows that the biceps start cramping around rep 30, but that, if you keep pushing it, the cramping goes away around rep 50-60.  So many trainees, saying they’re going to puke, upon being given permission to go do so, find themselves coming up dry.  The body lies to you because it wants to UNDERperform, because the body is lazy and only concerned about self-preservation and maintaining the status quo.  It’s not at all interested in getting bigger and stronger.  The body is a hedonist: it’s up to YOU to force it to do the things that will result in growth.  And that’s going to take a lot of lies and deception.



Even the great ones do it


 

And that’s no lie.

17 comments:

  1. I wonder what kind of lying I'm going to have to do to myself to get a 225 x 225 squat one day haha.

    Hilarious but thought-provoking and true post (as usual). You and Alsruhe are such a breath of fresh air in the lifting space and I'm so glad to have found you two. Keep up the insanity! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude! Appreciate having you as a reader. 225x225 will be quite a feat. Gonna require a LOT of deception.

      Delete
    2. A lot of deception plus possibly bath salts haha.

      Delete
  2. I've been doing the exact same thing for a while but also the opposite. If I am close to being exhausted I tell myself 20 reps more when I really only wanted 5 more.

    Thanks for all the great posts over the last few months, I have been enjoying them immensely and merry Christmas to you in a few days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated dude. Comically enough, those lies get me to do even MORE reps. I tell myself 20 to deceive myself, do the 5 reps, then tell my body "You got excited at quitting early: now we HAVE to do more reps"

      Delete
  3. "ending at 300 JUST because it’s 300 is really stupid, so 1 more rep happened." That's straight out of Deep Water, if I recall it right it was the power clean challenge and 150vs151 reps

    Great article, I constantly lie to my body when I do cardio, because I really don't like it. And I definitely start to count in clusters on heavy higher rep sets.
    I totally get how you divide body, mind and self. If one ever tried to overcome internal struggle one will know that there is a team effort to be made and what we call self is a lot more than the complete entity we can see.

    While you don't like books that are just a collection of articles. Man, do one with your stuff and put it on sale. Let's people support you and I am sure there are plenty of people that will stumble over it that have never heard of your blog before and need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely stole it from Deep Water, haha. It makes SO much sense. Appreciate the sentiment on the book dude. I don't plan to sell it: I do this for free. I don't like tying my passions to my income, as I find doing so makes me lose both.

      Delete
  4. I knew a girl who would recite the alphabet for her sets instead cause then the number wouldn’t freak her out. “A, B, C, D...” I did it for awhile and kind of forgot about it until reading this. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually such a genius way to count reps without actually counting them. I'm actually going to steal that and use it myself haha.

      A set of 12 - 20 reps on squats sounds brutal. Counting from L to T, on the other hand, doesn't sound too bad.

      Delete
    2. I really like that idea. I might steal it.

      Delete
  5. Great Post, I'm a big fan Mythical, you're stuff has really resonated with me.

    I sometimes think the other way, that overthinking the reps and sets I have left can be detrimental. When I used to play competitive badminton I'd do a similar thing, I'd notice a pattern in how the points played out and end up getting fixated on it. Bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. Once I made a conscious decision to let my mind go blank between points I noticed a marked increase in resiliency.

    Found a similar thing when maxing for squats, when adding weight to the bar to warm up I'd end up thinking how this or that weight felt heavier than usual and set myself up for failure; letting myself stop thinking freed me from some of that, and it works intra-set as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found a similiar method for squats in ignoring the work up sets that feel off. Squats often feel like ass until it gets heavy, it's weird.

      Delete
    2. What you're describing is something known in Taoism as "Wu Wei". Often, it's when we shut off the mind and just act that perfection is achieved. It's why I am not a fan of lifting cues: I want to be able to just approach the weight and lift it.

      Delete
  6. It’s not quite as dramatic as hitting hundreds of reps but I have used this sort of dishonesty to hit 20 or more reps of squats and deadlifts in AMRAP sets where I was struggling before getting to 10. It’s an odd experience because part of you knows it’s a lie that you’ll stop at 10...then at 15...and then when there well one more rep is manageable etc until the 20 have been hit. I like this write up and seeing the extent to which the idea can be pushed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s not quite as dramatic as hitting hundreds of reps but I have used this sort of dishonesty to hit 20 or more reps of squats and deadlifts in AMRAP sets where I was struggling before getting to 10. It’s an odd experience because part of you knows it’s a lie that you’ll stop at 10...then at 15...and then when there well one more rep is manageable etc until the 20 have been hit. I like this write up and seeing the extent to which the idea can be pushed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s not quite as dramatic as hitting hundreds of reps but I have used this sort of dishonesty to hit 20 or more reps of squats and deadlifts in AMRAP sets where I was struggling before getting to 10. It’s an odd experience because part of you knows it’s a lie that you’ll stop at 10...then at 15...and then when there well one more rep is manageable etc until the 20 have been hit. I like this write up and seeing the extent to which the idea can be pushed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely learned this trick with some Super Squat sets back in the day. It's useful across a whole variety of rep ranges for sure.

      Delete