Friday, October 8, 2021

START WITH A WIN

 

First, I know for a fact I’m not the first person to come up with this idea, but I’m writing this at 0540 on a day off of work after having gotten up at 0330 to crush the Kalsu WOD with 135lb log viper presses, so I’m living this as it’s being written, and I think that’s pretty cool.  Why do I train first thing in the morning when given the chance?  It’s not because I love training so much that I can’t wait to do it: quite the opposite.  I HATE training.  It just looms over me as a specter, always there, always present, and it will never go away and die. It’s something I HAVE to do if I want to achieve my goals, which in turn means it’s not something I’ve ever loved.  What I love is being able to spend time with my family, and training takes AWAY from that…unless I get up before they do and get it done.  And that’s why I do it, because even though I might FEEL better training on a full stomach, later in the day, properly warmed up and psyched up and built up, I won’t be able to actually do the things I love because I tried to make a bad situation better vs letting it be as bad as possible.  I started by day with a win by doing the thing I hated FIRST, getting it knocked out, crushing it and moving on.


Who would win in a fight between Juggernaut and Colossus? - Quora
And if you can make it as one-sided as this, even better

 


I do the same thing with my nutrition.  In fact, I DID the same thing with my nutrition.  I make my breakfast BEFORE going to bed.  These days, it’s 2 whole organic free range eggs, a slash of egg whites, 2oz of some sort of grassfed beef (typically ground, but I had some stew meat recently that was amazing), half an avocado, a little grassfed butter and some fat free cheese.  I cook it up like an omelet the night before, put it in a glass sealed container, wake up and zap it in the microwave, then throw it on an eggwhite wrap with some organic sunbutter and chow it down in about 4 minutes.  Sometimes I’ll have a keto waffle or pancakes on the side with a little more sunbutter.  It’s a substantial amount of calories and a lot of healthy fats and protein first thing in the morning, and typically I have my last bite about 5 minutes before my first warm-up set of the day, so it’s not really even fueling the workout.  But what it DOES do is set me up for success for the rest of the day.  If I get busy at work, or if the family decides they wanna do some all day adventure out and about and I have to live off protein bars and beef jerky for the next 18 hours, at least I got in a great source of nutrition at the start of the day.  I’m not playing catch up. 

 

And that’s fundamentally the message I want to spread with this: start your day off with a win.  How we begin our day can often dictate how it ends, and if we start off scrambling, behind the power curve, flummoxed, blind sided and baffled, we set ourselves up to effectively waste the next 24 hours, which, in turn, sets up a viscous self-perpetuating cycle.  In turn, you’ll note that often, starting off with a win means preparing yourself BEFORE you start.  I wrote about how I make my breakfast the night beforehand so it’s ready to go.  I do the same thing with my meals for the day: I prepare them in the afternoon or evening before, so they’re good to go.  Some people even prepare food for the whole week: that’s cool too.  My workout clothes were set up for me this morning to grab and go.  I have a home gym, and one of my favorite meditative rituals is setting up the equipment for the morning workout the evening before, so that I roll in and it’s ready.  Hell, what inspired this post was that, after my workout this morning, I slid my weightlifting shoes off my feet while the laces were still tied, and then I carefully untied them so that, the NEXT time I came in to train, I wouldn’t have to do that: they’d already be ready for me.  Because AFTER the workout, I have all the time in the world to deal with shoelace knots, but there’s nothing worse than when you’re scrambling for time and get a knot in your shoelace.


Hammerman | Cartoon pics, Cartoon, Cartoons 80s 90s
Especially true if you're working with these...and a million bonus points if you get this reference

 

And this extends to the microlevel as well.  I train first thing in the morning because I hate it and I just want to get it done and, in turn, I know I’m not going to SKIP training if it’s what I do first thing.  You can’t skip the first thing because…well…it’s the first thing.  So why not also do that IN your training?  Is your conditioning bad?  Do you do your conditioning at the END of your workouts?  Which is to say, do you frequently do your workouts and skip conditioning?  Do it first.  “But won’t my workouts suffer if I do conditioning first?!”  Aren’t your workouts ALREADY suffering because your conditioning is poor?  Your body will EVENTUALLY adapt if you do conditioning first, but it will NEVER adapt to you NOT doing conditioning: it will just continue to suck.  Weak abs?  Always skipping ab work?  Do it first.  I’d EVEN allow doing it in between your main work, but either way: start with a win.

 

Works for nutrition too.  Not eating enough veggies?  Eat them first.  Start your day with a salad.  I start my day with such a high fat meal because I had cut out WAY too many fats in my diet chasing after lower LDL numbers, and forcing myself to have a high fat meal first thing in the day meant there was no way I’d skip out on that.  Not enough protein?  Start your day with a protein shake.  That was my breakfast for the LONGEST time coming up, and then I’d have some real food an hour later.  I’d start my day with a win and get some protein in after an 8 hour fast. 


Big G General Mills Fiber One Brown Sugar Cinnamon Toaster Pastries (6 ct)  - Instacart
Still a better choice than some of these bad boys...and yes, I DID used to eat these thinking they were a "good choice"



 

And with this, we come all the way around to “get to yes”.  Strategize HOW you will start with a win.  You have NO idea how frustrated I am when I read someone say they don’t have enough time in the morning to eat breakfast.  This legitimately requires waking up FIVE minutes earlier than usual.  Who is operating off of such a shoestring time budget that they don’t have 5 minutes to spare?  And that same 5 minutes is time that could be spent doing Tabata burpees, for those that don’t have time for conditioning, which is ANOTHER fantastic way to start your day with a win.  I have, no joke, rolled right out of bed and set the Tabata app on my phone to go and knocked out burpees in my socks and underwear first thing in the morning just to get it done and move on with my life.  Funny enough, when you start your day with THAT kind of “win”, the kind of win that REALLY sucks, it makes the rest of the day seem SO much more awesome by comparison. 

 

Don’t try to build to a win: start with one, and let the rest of the game unfold from there.

13 comments:

  1. This principle has been crucial to all my training successes in the last 5 years, especially since I got into fitness in my late 30s when my life was already full with kids/job/home responsibilities. Meal planning, weekend food prep, repacking my gym bag, having child care pre-arranged--basically, I have everything set up so that the only thing that could derail me from getting it done is a true emergency. When I walk into the kitchen at 4am and see my gym bag sitting there between me and the coffee pot, I know that no matter how the rest of the day unfolds, at least I'm getting my training in.

    Having a home gym is such a huge help that it can't really be overstated. Once, when I told a friend that my husband had outfitted one for me, he was shocked and expected that I would be offended that my husband was basically implying that I needed to work out. That cracked me up. Best Christmas present ever! And the gift that keeps on giving, since he can add to it on all those gift-giving occasions.

    I know there are some other female readers here, so I want to add that when I found out that a 3rd baby would be very unexpectedly joining our family, I was overwhelmed at first with wondering how I was going to make it all work. But I immediately ordered myself a really nice breathable "sport" style baby carrier and a jogging stroller and those purchases relieved a ton of that worry. No matter how everything played out, I would at least have the option of walks and runs. Good thing, too...baby boy #3 had colic and he and I put on a LOT of miles on that carrier and stroller.

    Anyways, thanks for writing this. It's such an important topic and needs to be stickied somewhere on Reddit, haha. Would answer a lot of those "how do I make this work" type questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really appreciate your perspective on this. It's amazing how much being "an adult" aids in this whole process. When we're younger, our resiliency sucks and any adversity whatsoever becomes an insurmountable obstacle. When you've got a family you gotta take care of, suddenly you don't have room for any whining or self-pity: stuff needs to get done, and we'll find a way. And once you have that habit, it just keeps extending.

      Congrats on "getting to yes" with baby 3 there! Just always amazing to see. Would love for reddit to bite on this, but usually, the people that NEED to read this won't, haha.

      Delete
  2. It sounds really obvious when you put it like this, but that was just what I needed to hear right now, thanks! Also:

    "Do you do your conditioning at the END of your workouts? Which is to say, do you frequently do your workouts and skip conditioning?"

    ouch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really liked this post. And can be applied to lots of things. I literally used it today to do "some sort of conditioning" before my main workout. Another MythicalStrength classic Tabatta style Burpees. They were horrible but a sign that I should do more. Think I'll be following this pattern of getting basic conditioning in before main workout going forward. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated dude, and outstanding work getting after it. Tabata burpees are the ultimate "shame conditioning". Anytime I think about just not getting in conditioning I tell myself "You really don't have 4 minutes for some burpees?"

      Delete
  4. I have trouble wrapping my mind around your "I hate training" mindset. I think understand what you're getting at, that you love the results but you dread the hard work and I guess its a valuable lesson to help people push through things that are hard. I think its difficult for readers to wrap our heads around though, because I think most of us really love our training time. Every time the topic comes up there's people saying as much in the comments!

    I also think that might mean that I'm not training nearly as hard as you though. If I was truly going to be on the edge of collapse/vomiting/injury/etc every time I worked out, I would probably dread it too. I'd certainly have better results than I am currently achieving as well.

    But, after that long aside... I love this post. I really need to do a better job of this. It definitely takes discipline, but its more than worth it. I ALWAYS feel better when I work out first thing, and feel more settled when I start the day off with a meal. Otherwise I find myself scrambling for time out of my work day to grab a bite to eat, or trying to juggle family time and chores with a timeslot to work out. Everything falls into place much better when you knock out some personally important tasks right away, it leads to a much more settled mind for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't dread the hard work: I simply don't enjoy the sensation of physical pain. There ARE a few workouts that I legit dread, and I'll actually set a timer on my phone to allow myself a fixed amount of time to feel sorry for myself and dread the workout before I go do it, because otherwise it's too easy to just sit there staring into space and avoiding it, but for the most part I hate training because, along with it not feeling good, it takes away time I could spend doing other things. BUT, I enjoy the results SO much that I'm willing to do it.

      Glad you appreciated the post dude. I got to live it the other day when work got crazy and one of my co-workers was complaining that he was going to miss out on gym time that day. I told him it's why I train early.

      Delete
  5. I utilise this with everything I can. Especially with work. It's amazing how much worse a difficult task starts to seem the more you dilly-dally.

    However, if I *fail* to implement this for whatever reason. I refuse to use it as an excuse to say fuck it and not do whatever it was I had meant to, which is very easy to do.

    I guess my position is that front loading is great. Being determined and maintaining a positive routine is great. But you also have to have the ability to not let it all collapse if internal or external factors undermine your efforts. And I think that's the part I suffer with and so determination quickly morphs in a weird brittle anxiety that makes me fear what will happen if I miss a session. Or don't get started on a piece of work on a given day.

    Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My job is heavily front loaded. You never know when something is going to come up that requires immediate attention, and there isn't a lot of free time, especially during the day.

      The added benefit is that during the rest of the day, during the end, you can relax a bit.

      Delete
    2. I totally get where you're coming from dude. My "solution" these days is to never have a plan, which can really upset anyone who is with me, haha. I ALSO hate it when the plan falls apart, and it's some sort of self defense to not have a plan in the first place so it can't happen. I live reactionarily. But then people will say "What are we having for dinner tonight?" and the response is "I don't know", and then it's a whole new fight, haha.

      Delete
  6. The magic shoes from the McHammer cartoon?

    ReplyDelete