Sunday, November 25, 2018

BUT BEGINNERS SHOULDN’T




One of the constant criticisms I hear in regards to my writing is that everything I write is all well and good for an experienced trainee “but beginners shouldn’t” X.  It’s all well and good for an experienced trainee to focus on technique rather than form, for an experienced trainee to train in a weakened state, for an experienced trainee to hit stupid dropsets and stripsets, for an experienced trainee to keep pushing volume until they break, etc etc, but a beginner shouldn’t.  There are SO many guardian angels for beginners out there that it’s a goddamn miracle how many weak beginners are out there spinning their wheels for years.  Where are the results for the hard work of all these valiant guardians?  Why, with so many helpful, watchful eyes out there dictating what is good and not good for beginners, do we still see SO many beginners struggling with just the basics?  It’s because your mother henning has made them soft, weak, and fearful.  You’ve spent so much time preoccupied on what beginners SHOULDN’T do that you’ve completely forgotten exactly what it is that they SHOULD do.

Image result for jeff goldblum jurassic park
It sounds better when he says it

First, let’s start with the obvious: I don’t write for beginners.  I don’t write for anyone but myself.  I’ve said many times that this blog is for me; it forces me to write about 1000 words a week and get rambling thoughts out of my head and onto paper, much like what is happening here.  The cautionary tale for beginners is unwarranted, especially when considering that my sphere of influence is GREATLY diminished, as I have minimal social media profile nor do I engage in self-promotion.  All of THAT aside, the warnings are STILL silly, because they seem to operate from people who must have forgotten what it was like to be a beginner.

I haven’t forgotten.  It’s been 19 years and I still remember.  I still remember saving up cash to buy a standard bench and dumbbell set from Play it Again sports at age 14, putting it in my backyard with a tarp over it to protect it from the elements, and doing bench and dumbbell curls 5-7 days a week on it.  I still remember that bench giving me the confidence to train in my high school weight room, where me and my buddies would take turns trying to max out on every machine and barbell lift possible.  I still remember slinging iron with wild abandon, not having any idea that there was a “right” pair of shoes to wear, how to brace, optimal training frequency, protein timing, MRV, low testosterone markers, fatigue management, etc etc.  And I STILL remember that, after a few years of that, people started considering me big and strong.

Image result for obesity chart 
You gotta keep in mind that, as you keep training, the standards keep getting worse

I STILL remember getting into my college weight room, which was a dank little poorly outfitted afterthought that was STILL twice the size of my high school weight room, my eyes lighting up, and deciding I was going to get “serious” with my training and start a bodypart split.  Yes, the same kinds of splits that the internet SWEARS “don’t work”.  I remember gaining 20lbs in college while STILL having no idea what I was doing: just training hard, training often, and eating very well.  How did you forget?

How did you forget that it was effort, intensity and consistency that got you to where you are?  How did you forget that people had been getting big and strong for decades without ANY real knowledge of training?  How did you forget that what is now called “bro-science” was the stuff that WORKED?  And now, here you are, saying that ADVANCED trainees can get away with training hard, often and for a long time, but that BEGINNERS need to do something super duper special?  That beginners are just fragile little snowflakes that will rupture the instant they do anything outside of the party approved method for training?


Image result for starting strength meme
Oh hey, a new one

“But if they fail, they’ll get discouraged and quit!”  Let them!  Folks, anyone who is going to quit the instant they meet resistance is simply not long for this activity.  It does you no good to coddle, protect and “save” them from themselves.  If the ONLY way they’ll stay on the path is by encountering nothing but success along the way, not only are they simply not going to last, but they’re also going to miss out on the ACTUAL value of training: learning how to overcome adversity. And I say this understanding how sheltered it is to say such a thing, but that’s the point.  For many of you, this is going to be the ONLY adversity you really have to overcome, and that is especially true for those beginners that are ready to quit as soon as they encounter failure.  If your first instinct is to quit, follow that instinct.  Find another hobby.  It’s not for everyone, and that’s fine.  I quit guitar for the same reason.  But if you have some tenacity and wherewithal to hit a wall and decide to figure out how you’re going to get past it, you might just make it.

There are no restrictions or limitations on what a beginner should or shouldn’t do.  They should absolutely copy the routines that are too high in volume, they should train like people far more accomplished than themselves, they should push their limits too far, burnout, fail hard, and crash.  The ones that survive are going to be pretty awesome.  “But that’s survivor bias!”  I certainly hope so.  Not everyone is going to succeed, and it’d be MUCH better for you to figure that out at the start of your journey rather than be 5 years deep because you followed every possible path that WOULDN’T lead to failure only to discover that the absence of failure isn’t success: it’s simply ambivalence.  But hey, maybe, just maybe, there are a LOT more survivors than failures among the population, and all we have to do is LET them go out on their own to figure it out.  Maybe just hitting the weight room hard for a few years will get you some results, the same way it gets results for thousands of high school kids every single year.  Maybe we’ll be surprised from the results, and maybe we’ll start saying that the only thing beginners shouldn’t do is go online and listen to every guru that comes along with minimal accomplishments and a lot of youtube videos.

Image result for Jason Blaha
I genuinely have no idea who this is, but he seems to pop up a lot on the topic of lifting

All I can do is hope.

15 comments:

  1. Time, effort, intensity, consistency, paitence, programming, not resetting once something gets "difficult", and realizing that strength is more than just a number on a barbell.

    That last one, is why I feel stronger now than before, even though the only lift that has gone up significantly has been squats.

    I'm stronger now than I was before, and the only number that has gone up has been squats, really.

    Drop sets do certainly have a place. Working for my deadlifts currently. I work up, and then down, and that work up really primes the nervous system.

    I think the failing of these 5x5 programs are that they're just terribly written . They're basically "oh hey, go pound weights and deload some of the time and if that gets difficult go reset but hey no tools to actually truly troubleshoot progress" and so newbies go and see 5lbs/session gains, then they don't, and then they get confused.

    When the solution is probably strip sets or drop sets or top setting, or different assistance exercises or maybe even a whole new program altogether, and the only way to actually tell is to go out and try it. I mean, I found out pretty soon that adding in an extra rep for deadlift wasn't going to work, so I just did 325x5, 325x3, and then agggressively dropped weight for sets of 5 until I was done. I had done that the previous session too and ended up with 325x5 touch n go as opposed to 325x2 touch n go. So I definitely think this is working .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you describe as dropsets sounds a bit more like pyramiding, unless you're not resting between the ups and downs. Still a solid approach.

      Delete
    2. No, definitely resting. So it may be more pyramiding then.

      Delete
    3. Try a dropset sometime. Start with a weight that you can do for like 8 reps and pull a set of 6. Immediately strip off like 20-40lbs and go for a set of max reps, then just keep taking off weight and pulling max reps until you die.

      Delete
    4. I'll look into those. Might be fun. I have three solid months to train before my meet and want to try a few different things. Bench press seems to be the one lagging the most. Surprisingly, overhead press is well since I added more reps to it and started trying for sets of 10.

      Delete
    5. So I'm basically pyramiding everything, I guess. So much for my straight 5x5 program.

      Seems like a natural progression anyway once I started adding warm up sets to the mix. Might be a way to add some heavy singles in there, too, as time goes on and if this actually pans out.

      Thank you. I don't have a specific blog post to cite, but this blog and some other stuff has been getting me out of the idea that I need to use the same weight every time to progress.

      Delete
  2. Any advice for someone whose back is constantly sore/tight from lifting but is to afraid to take time off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just exist in a state of being sore and tight, haha.

      Delete
    2. Foam rolling, maybe? I had a lot of tightness in my left hip for awhile and that helped, although oddly it was adding beef broth that took the tightness away.

      Delete
  3. Superb as usual.

    I needed this in particular today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting you mention dropsets here. When I was a very beginner I was working out and ended up doing dropsets, although I didn't know that's what they were called at the time. I remember thinking they were perfect for a beginner. My logic was I couldn't lift heavy weights like most of the people around me, so I decided to line up lighter and lighter dumbbells and keep lowering the weights to extend my sets. It worked well for me and I enjoyed it.

    Then I ended up on a few forums where people mentioned exactly what you said, that beginners shouldn't do dropsets (I'd found out what they were by then). There wasn't much logic, just that they were an "advanced technique." This made zero sense to me so I continued dropsets.

    People need to stop giving useless warnings to beginners and let them experiment. When I was a guitar beginner (I'm advanced now) I would experiment for hours on end, a lot like what you did when you were young. I saved up money for a crap guitar, not unlike your Play it Again purchase. I practiced my ass off on that thing day after day. If there had been people warning me about things I shouldn't do as a beginner I wouldn't have made half my progress. Really hoping people read your blog entry here and take it to heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using drop sets for the past ten weeks or so, and have pretty much blasted my opening squat and deadlift up by a good 20/30lbs so far. By my projections I should be able to squat 400 and deadlift 500 in October, up from a 335/396 in March this year. All that depends on if I make an advance on weights this coming training block and can make the advances I need in the next block.

      But the point is, they're pretty great for getting in lots of volume and quickly. Filmed myself recently and 26 reps of squats took 7 minutes 20 seconds. 40 seconds of which was me trying to turn off the camera before I died.

      Delete
    2. That's an awesome story dude. So incredibly true as well. I spent many years unlearning the things I "earned" and rediscovering the things I already knew worked.

      Delete