Saturday, November 3, 2018

FIRST MEET POWERLIFTER: WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?




Like a bad relationship, here I am coming back to powerlifting for reasons I myself don’t completely understand, but now you get to suffer.  This is once again about a phenomenon I observe constantly both on and offline: the almost powerlifter.  The guy that has been training for YEARS, has read every book (read: watched every youtube video[read: viewed every Instagram story{read: scrolled through every tweet}]) on the subject, has favorite lifters in the sport of powerlifting, owns a 13mm belt, squat shoes, Kevlar knee sleeves, every variation of the slingshot…but has never competed in a meet before.  And when asked why, they say “I want to spend a little more time training to make sure I’m ready.”  HUH?!  What insanity is this? How could you possibly get more ready than this?  Seriously: what are you waiting for?!

Image result for Inzer leviathan ad
Seriously, if you own one of these but don't have a total, just start over

Once again, I feel the need to explain what powerlifting is in the context of other sports to understand how truly crazy this is.  In powerlifting, the “game” is the powerlifting meet.  The meet IS powerlifting.  All the time spent in the gym is simply time spent training to play the game.  Understanding that, what other sport on the planet has a following of people who dedicate themselves diligently for YEARS studying every aspect of the sport, buying all the gear, and training before they ever actually play the game?  Before the first time you ever played a pick-up game of basketball, did you train for years, practice your freethrows and strategize how to play defense, or did you and a bunch of friends just grab a ball, find a court, and figure it out as you went?  And you were awful at it.  And it was fine!  It was fine, because you were LEARNING how to play the game.  It’s the same for football, soccer, baseball, or any sport that can be played by 5 year olds.  Hell, my very first wrestling practice in high school, I was taught a double leg takedown and 6 minutes later we were wrestling.  And I sucked at it.  And it was fine!  First you play, THEN you learn.

Why is the play first part important?  Because you have to figure out if you even LIKE the sport in the first place.  Can you imagine what a letdown it would be if little Jonny first picked up a basketball at age 5, dedicated himself for the next 5 years to becoming the best player he could be, diligently practicing and sweating and drilling, only to play his first game at age 10 and discover that he didn’t really find basketball fun and he was more a baseball fan all along?  That can happen with powerlifting!  I’ve competed in 3 meets, and after the third I was done with the sport.  I just didn’t find it interesting.  I didn’t enjoy spending 10 hours to do 9 reps.  I didn’t enjoy how much focus was on form rather than just getting from A to B.  It just didn’t jive with what I thought a strength sport would be.  Thank god I figured that out at age 27 and had time to transition to strongman, where I found something I enjoyed.  Imagine if I had just kept waiting before taking the plunge into a sport I didn’t like.

Image result for hit by javelin
I also think I'm going to take a pass on the javelin

And powerlifting IS a sport that you can just jump into.  All you have to be able to do is squat and bench a 45lb barbell to compete in a meet.  I honestly have no idea if they can support deads lower than 135lbs due to plate diameter, but whatever, you get the point.  It’s not like strongman, where the loads are determined by the promoter and you can be too weak to participate.  You can find out VERY early in your training career if you even LIKE the sport of powerlifting before you dedicate years, if not decades, “preparing” for your first meet.  And meet experience is invaluable in any capacity, because there is an immense difference between lifting in a gym and lifting in a meet.  Getting THAT sorted out early will only benefit you in the long run. 

So why do people delay?  Let’s be real honest here folks: because they want to win their first meet.  The sheer idea of coming in any other place than first in a competition is so upsetting to people it can cause serious emotional trouble and turmoil.  They will wake up in the middle of the night in a coldsweat fearing coming in second place.  Well hey, here’s some good news for you; the sport of powerlifting is so fractured (at least in the states) that you have a VERY solid chance of coming in first in your first meet…as you may be the only person in your weighclass and division.  If trophy hunting is so important for you, just sign up for 181lb liftetime natural left handed Methodist division and you’ll be set.  Probably set a record too.  However, IF your ego can possibly spare to do bad at something the first time you do it, you may find out that powerlifting is your thing.

Image result for 3rst place
I'm serious: EVERYONE will get a medal

Or you might not!  And that’s the point!  Get that sorted out NOW so you can actually vector your training towards A goal.  The amorphous sorta powerlifter hangs around many locales and spends a good amount of time accomplishing nothing, as they truly have no real goals.  They train “like a powerlifter” and they care about their “total”, but with no meet to peak for, no records to chase, no competition to defeat, they just spin their wheels for years.  Someone with a real deal meet on the horizon start transforming their training, things start to matter more, and growth start to happen at rates not previously observed.  When something is actually on the line, you start caring more, and it’s reflected in your training.  When the only thing that’s on the line is your ego in a not for real possible future meet, you’ll end up sandbagging your training so that you never actually ARE “ready” to compete, as that is the only way to truly ensure your feelings are spared.

Go do a meet and see if you even like powerlifting.  What are you waiting for?

Image result for squatting on a bosu ball
I know my regular readers were waiting for this photo

And once you’re done with that meet and you find out powerlifting is boring, go compete in storngman.

24 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most PL meets will use bumpers, so yeah you can pull less than 135. I think the minimum is something around the 75lb mark because god forbid you leave the oversize collars off.

    I've probably told the story a ton of times by now, but my first actual strongman comp was one of the early Static Monsters events and I turned up solely because one was being held by the (now closed) gym I did event days at. So not only did I get to experience the joys of screwing up and coming last, I got to enjoy the nearly unique experience of coming not just last in the meet but last in the world.

    Also as it turns out, Static Monsters is the disfigured lovechild of powerlifting and strongman. You get the six lifts in a day of powerlifting and the knowledge that the implements are out to kill you of strongman. 10/10 would bomb out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Static Monsters is definitely a solid methadone approach to ween powerlifters into strongman, haha. And hey, nowhere to go but up if you're at the bottom.

      Delete
  3. People also think other people at a meet will give a flying fuck about their lifts. In reality, everyone else is worried about themselves and could give a fuck less if you total 500 lbs.

    It blows my mind people at the gym have $500+ in powerlifting gear, still preparing for their first meet. How in the hell do they know they need all this gear to be a powerlifter, they have never even been a spectator at a meet. They would be better off going in with no gear, and adding what they see fit after they experience a meet.

    Have you wrote about the first timer dropping 30 lbs yet? Those fuckers drive me crazy, they always seem to bomb out though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I could write a whole other post on first meet mess ups too, haha. Might just do that. But you're too right. It's a weird bit of low self esteem combined with ego centrism where you somehow think you're important enough that everyone will focus on you but insignificant enough that they will mock you.

      Delete
  4. How do you know if you're too weak to compete in strongman? Does the event tell you what weights are being used beforehand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, yeah. At least, traditionally. A few shoes go for a total mystery, but the majority of the time, loads and events are posted.

      Delete
    2. So what happens if someone is too weak to compete in strongman?

      Delete
    3. They will fail to complete a rep or move an implement in every event, get zero points and come in last.

      Delete
  5. Oh man I love this. I respect the <300 Wilks beginners who actually put themselves out there on the platform far more than someone with a "400 Wilks in the gym" who has never competed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love the gym total. What the Hell does that even mean, haha.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this post, by the way. I posted something, deleted it, because I realized it was just stupid, then wanted to talk about it, realized it was still stupid, deleted it, and the more I think about it, the more I think, this post helped me get through why its stupid.

    Basically, I like the idea of being strong, and do want to compete one day. I was always waiting until I hit a 1,000lb total in training, and it was mainly why I haven't competed yet, and was going to defend with something like "well, its not that I want to win my first meet, but that I don't want to end up dead last, because I was picked last as a kid, blah blah" and then I got to thinking that, hell, I'm almost 31, and the reason to wait is actually kind of stupid because competing would tell me where I need to be, and when. I don't know what is up here in Alaska for competitions but I might try one if I can find one and have the time and money to do so.

    Sometimes I don't even realize the BS I'm carrying around. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome dude. Hope it goes well for you. Competition is good.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. No promises. That's not a back out, it's literally that Alaska seems to be a wasteland with Jack all to do. I know stuff up here exists, I just need to find it.

      Delete
  7. I was a member of that camp for a long time until I started reading your blog and decided to sign up for my first strongman comp. Empire made me realize that I didn't care so much about losing. The truth was, I just didn't give a shit about ever competing in powerlifting as the competition itself didn't seem interesting or worth doing in my eyes. I would be happier as a losing strongman than a winning powerlifter because in my eyes strongman competitions are at least fun and exciting to participate in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow man, I didn't realize it was your first comp. Good on you for jumping into open! And yeah, no shame in not wanting to be a powerlifter: you and I got to see just how boring those meets are directly compared to strongman. If a guy can judge a full strongman show AND still manage to jump into the deadlift flights in a powerlifting meet despite the meet having a 3 hour head start, that is an issue, haha.

      Delete
  8. Funny to me but you and powerlifting are intrinsically tied in my newfound love of strongman. Basically, I decided I needed a sport to compete in since I don't run anymore. I Decided to be a powerlifter, downloaded a rulebook, and then spent the next 15 minutes or so thinking about poking my eyes out at the sheer volume of rules.

    After that I stumbled onto your blog searching "crossfit for slow people" or something, found out about strongman, and fell in love instantly.

    I don't remember if I left a comment to tell you or not, but I did my first meet Oct 6th at Texas Strongest in the 181 class and managed to finish at 9th or 10th out of 12. Thanks for the motivation over the last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell yeah man, that's awesome! Glad to hear about your journey into the sport.

      Delete
  9. Whelp, I did it.

    I found out about a USAPL meet in March of next year, reached out to the co-chair as a first time competitor, and received a very warm welcome to just come in, and compete. Signed up and everything.

    Bonus: it's in my home town so I have an excuse to visit some friends.

    Honestly, the community has been very kind and open new comers.

    Also, I noticed that one of the guys who is stronger than me and waiting to compete because he "isn't strong enough" is doing 3/4 squats and using a belt while his wife is using knee wraps. Either of those puts one in the "equipped" category .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belt should definitely be allowed for the raw categories of USAPL. Have you read through their rulebook yet? If not, that's an excellent first step to get ready, and it'll help clarify what is/isn't allowed.

      Congrats on signing up. Best of luck.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, just checked. Belts actually are allowed for raw.

      Anyway, thanks. Been finding training has been going better since there's a tangible purpose now. That's cool.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. , to reference an earlier post you had made about strength standards before switching to an actual powerlifting program, and just for any future first meet powerlifters who may be reading your blog, stronger by science compiled strength levels of powerlifters over the years, and a 1200lb total in the 205lb weight class puts a competitor in the 45th percentile. Lose 20lbs and drop down to the 184lb weight class, and that puts you in the 60th percentile.

    A 1200lb total for my weight class and state (a goal I am currently chasing but may not actually meet in 3 months as it is around a 400lb gap, but we will see) puts me at rank 6 out of 10 lifter's for my state, and means I would have won this years state for Alaska.

    This is going off of looking up things in he USAPL's database. I'm not saying this to brag or anything, just that, at that level, you have a good chance of winning or at placing well. And if you're not that strong, reaching out to the community can be beneficial just for the fact that they will welcome you with open arms to the sport.

    Egoism aside, you may not feel "strong enough" because of all the people at nationals, which gets televised, and the world record lifts that you see, by people who are probably not even in your weight class. I Know I felt that way also, until I started looking into the database and just kind of poking around to see what is going on in my state.

    To clarify, you don't need to set the world record or state record to win, you just need to out lift everyone else there. And if you don't, there is always more time to train, get better, and see what worked and what didn't work. Looking deeper, the sport seems to be about displaying strength rather than winning, as even advice for lift picks seems to be to just go off of your previous attempts rather than what someone else is doing.

    Also there is a big difference between a 3-5rm total and a 1rm total, and the latter is what the sport is looking for. So that 1200 total may actually be higher unless they were from 1rm maxes in training.

    And if you compete early enough you get to see that total steadily go up because that lifter's database comes with an athlete history in that sport.

    USAPL means you need to be drug free. That also means stupid stuff like weed isn't allowed. But hey, the USPA foesndo drug test and they're also pretty big and allow different form on some stuff, so there's something for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A glycol based product will help you get the right level of cleaning when doing laundry but will not be able to deal with stubborn stains. Try to look for one that is suitable for all your cleaning needs. Get more interesting details about etazone check it out.

    ReplyDelete