Sunday, November 18, 2018

ON WEIRDNESS: A STEP SIDEWAYS IS A STEP FORWARD IF YOU CHANGE YOUR PERSPECTIVE




Recently, my post “What Have You Done To The Farmer’s Walk” was posted on a thread on the fitness subreddit, wherein many posters took exception to me having written about how the average person is en route to being average, and emulating them is how you end up being average.  This was taken as elitism, denigrating average people, and hipsterism purely for the sake of counter-culturalism.  I make no apologies for what I think or write in that regard, but moreso I feel a need to elaborate further on this, as it seems worth further elaboration.  The fact of the matter is that it is simply the truth that, if you do what everyone else does, you will get the results everyone else is getting.  To expect otherwise is simply madness.  What this, in turn, speaks to is the value of being different simply for the sake of being different.  People demean this concept and talk to “special snowflakes” and all other demeaning names, but again, consider the reality of it. Doing what average people do makes you average.  Doing what average people don’t do makes you NOT average, and maybe it won’t be greater than average necessarily, but it will be DIFFERENT than average, and different from average is at least A step closer to greater than average.  You may not always be stepping forward, but sometimes a step sideways is a step forward when viewed from a different perspective.

Related image
Trust me: it's going to get worse

I’ll level with you right now and tell you I have no idea where I’m going with this and that this piece is a total stream of consciousness, but join me for the ride will you?  It’s no secret that I’m a misanthrope.  I am a major non-fan of humanity.  I have said that Thanos lacked ambition, and I apologize if I managed to spoil an old comic book storyline for you with that last bit, but you get the picture.  Of course, misanthropy tends to be, like most prejudices, based off of stereotypes that are amalgamated regarding the majority of a demographic.  And quite frankly, the majority of humans are lacking.  That’s what makes them the majority.  It is what makes them average.  In turn, emulating them is hoping to be them, and this, in turn, is hoping to be something very uninspiring.  And I assume, dear reader, that if you read a blog tangentially based around training to become bigger and stronger, you have a vested interest in becoming bigger and stronger, both compared to your current self AND compared to the average baseline of humanity.  So, once again, why do what everyone else is doing if you hope to be different from everyone else?

And that’s the word we focus on here: different, not necessarily better.  Bigger and stronger is an outlier, as is smaller and weaker.  In both instances, you find yourself in that 10% part of the bell curve on either end, which is, at least, DIFFERENT than average.  To be different than average, one must do the things that are different than average.  Quite simply, one must be “weird”.  They must be off-beat, counter cultural, different, barbaric, alien, foreign, strange, etc, because all of these things are DIFFERENT than average, which in turn promotes a possibility of being GREATER than average.  If you simply do what the average person does, you have a 100% chance of being average.  If you do something that is DIFFERENT than average, you now stand a 50/50 shot of being greater than average, with the other possibility being to be less than average.  But hell, given a 50% chance of failure vs 100% failure, what odds would you take?

Image result for squatting on a bosu ball
Although this is that 50% chance that will 100% of the time result in failure

What are the ramifications of this thought process?  It means you need to start listening, paying attention, and observing the trends around you.  And when you start hearing the same things repeated over and over, ad naseum, it’s time to start doing something OTHER than that.  This is legitimately how I achieved the best results I’ve managed.  Need to give muscles 48-72 hours to rest?  Time to start training everyday.  Need to eat carbs to grow?  Time to cut them out.  Deads have to be deadstop?  Touch and go only for years.  Need to stretch and do mobility work?  Time to cut out the warm ups.  Cardio kills gains?  Up the cardio.  Take time off for injuries?  Train 2 days post surgery.  The advice you hear the most frequently and with the greatest volume is the advice that resonates the greatest with the majority and, in turn, the advice that, if followed, will make you average.

Think of how often a superior trainee puts on a superior display and the majority rushes to rationalize it to fit within their paradigm to avoid cognitive dissonance.  “Oh, that trainee can only do those things because they are the genetic elite/on steroids/lucky/going to get injured ANY day now/fake plates/photoshop/actually a government engineered superhuman powered by the earth’s sun/Mariusz Pudzianowski (wait, I already said superhuman, crap), etc.”  Perhaps, instead, we should consider that MAYBE we observe those that are greater than average doing things DIFFERENT than the average trainee because these differences are HOW one becomes greater.  We see the “cheating” technique on lifts and say it’s something they can “get away with”, NOT considering that MAYBE it’s the thing that helped MAKE the difference.  Instead of diligently running the party program with the party technique, these individuals BECAME individuals, established themselves as different from the pack, and parlayed that difference into greatness.

Related image
*Psh* Everyone knows you have to be fat, tall and slow to be a strongman

This is NOT a call for you to go onto some poor forum and inflict yourself upon them, asking them to tailor make a program specifically to your needs.  That’s not being different: that is asking for the MAJORITY to help tailor the knowledge of the majority specifically to you in order to become a paragon OF the majority.  This is a call for you to find those things that no one else is doing and go do them, in the pursuit of getting results that are in any way DIFFERENT from the results everyone else is getting.  Maybe, sometimes, those results will be worse and you’ll have to start over.  But maybe, sometimes, they’ll be better than what everyone else is getting.  Either way, you’ll be on your way to getting different results, and that is the first step on the path to making yourself different from the norm.  If that means you end up better than the norm, that’s just swell.

12 comments:

  1. Readkng this blog has actually made me stronger. Timed holds, mixed grip, and chalk are putting me through a plateau on deadlift and I'm looking at how to get strong from a standpoint of "what an I doing/what can I do" vs "well I'm not doing this thing because . . ." Like I was awhile ago.

    What I find interesting, is, I don't think the crowd who are saying "why are you using straps or doing this or that" are even competing.

    Anyway, I saw you posted on a forum a week or so ago about how most people spend too much time maxing out and not enough time training. Is this something you could elaborate on in a future topic maybe, if it warrants one? Been trying to think about the difference between the two, at least the not-so-obvious ones, but I don't really know what you meant by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe he literally means guys who test their 1RM too often, instead of in between blocks. Once past the noobie stage you should only check your max a few times a year not a few times a month like some do.

      Delete
    2. I have like, literally never checked my 1 rm max? Weird. I mean I think there is a powerlifting meet coming up in Feb/March and if I can sign up I will probably test then a week or two out just to see if the formulas for a Max hold true.

      Delete
    3. Definitely don't test your max a week or 2 before your meet. You want to be fresh for a meet, not coming off a max test. I'd just pull your opener, then see how it felt and go from there.

      But yeah, our unknown poster nailed it. Along with going for 1rms too often, people will deadlift mindlessly, with a goal of just moving as much weight as possible, rather than focusing on ensuring they are achieving the goals of the training session. When I train the deadlift, I focus on making my hips swing through as hard as I can, whereas when I compete, I just do whatever gets me from A to B.

      Delete
  2. That makes sense. How do I figure out what my opener is?

    I do a 5x5 where if I get something like I don't get all of the reps on the first or second set, I just reduce weight by 5lbs. If it's around maybe the third or fourth set, I'll just stop there and do more next session. If I really bomb it like 325x5, and then 325x2, like I did on deadlift, and I'm dead tired after, I'll just start doing 325x6 and then 325x7 (probably go to a 5x8 on this, maybe) and get what reps I can in on other sets. I want to ride out this working sets across thing as much as I can until it, and its variations on reps just don't work anymore (which I figure, is when I am adding less than 5lbs a month on lifts).

    I don't care about placing so much as I do about just having an official total and being able to call myself a powerlifter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The usual approach for picking your opener is to use something you've hit for 2-3 reps in training, then base your second attempt on how that went and your third attempt on how the second attempt went. Basically you want something that you're not ever going to miss barring serious injury. Even if you're sleep deprived, thrown by the equipment differences and have to put up with the judge being a dick, you should be able to get on the board.

      If you don't have any recent lower rep sets, maybe just add a little bit to your best set of five.

      Delete
    2. So maybe adapt training to a set of 3 as it comes closer?

      Delete
  3. I have to agree with Chris, I constantly think about the article you wrote a while back "Raise your floor, not your ceiling". I've cut out a lot of things like ammonia from my training. Maybe for comp day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome man. It's a good place to be in.

      Delete
  4. For me, it's been his article on how people think of all the things they aren't doing verdus what they are doing. I've cut things; I've added things; mostly around that mindset -- what do I need to do, to get stronger, today?

    I like the article on being more trouble than you're worth. I have had a fantasy of being super strong and being able to smash through anything and it is a large part of how I play the Elder Scrolls games as well as Fallout. Oh you have a shield? I'll just bash it with power attacks until you die anyway!

    Right now, I'm convinced that people fail on 5x5 because they consider the program a loss as soon as gains slow to a rate of less than 5lbs a session/week and they don't consider all the stuff they may need to do -- diet, conditioning, assistance exercises, time in -- but think "well at least I'm not cheating by using chalk or wrist wraps or mixed grip or training grip work or actually putting more intensity into it why this program sucks"

    I understand I will fail hard at some point on this routine, but I want to discover just how far I can take myself on it before I need to really change something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fucking love your posts man. Right on.

    ReplyDelete