Friday, April 9, 2021

IF YOU WANT TO GET BIGGER, STOP LIFTING 6 DAYS A WEEK

 

Oh boy am I going to upset a lot of folks with this one, but turn-about is fair play, because this has been upsetting me.  Didn’t we learn anything folks?  Hardgainer already covered this in the 80s, as did Stuart McRobert, Paul Kelso, Randall Stroseen, John McCallum, and then even modern contemporaries like Paul Carter, Jim Wendler, Dan John, etc etc.  When size is the goal, we lifting 3-4 days a week has historically been THE successful approach, with OCCASIONAL forays into 5 days a week, but just as frequently deviations into twice a week or 3 times every 2 weeks.  This 6 days of lifting each week thing is a goofy fad that has hoodwinked a lot of new trainees and brought them onto a path of lacking gains and wasted time and energy.  If you want to get bigger: train LESS.



Between the two of them they trained 1/4 as much as you do and carry 11x as much muscle...take note


 

Why train less?  Haven’t we scientifically proven that training a muscle twice a week is the optimal amount for maximal hypertrophy? Any of my regular readers will know how painful that sentence was for me to write.  First of all: you’re not going to prove anything with a study: all you can hope to do is observe.  You can observe trends, you can observe CONSISTENT trends, but you’re not going to prove anything.  It’s up to us to take the findings of these studies and draw our conclusions.  But along with that, any discussion of “optimal” as it relates to a human is silly, because we are NON-optimal beings living non-optimal existences: nothing we do will ever be optimal.  And in that point of fact, often it is the case that, when living a non-optimal existence, the “optimal” approach is actually LESS effective than the non-optimal approach.  Example?  Let’s say the Bulgarian method was, for the sake of argument, THE optimal method: it’s certainly not optimal for family man that works a full time job and takes night school classes: that dude probably needs a far more INFREQUENT approach to training to get optimal results.  And finally, “maximal hypertrophy” is a silly concept: we don’t know what that is, because, again, we can’t prove that.  All we can do is observe.

 

All of THAT said, even without my little “semantics tantrum”, training twice a week STILL isn’t the optimal amount for maximal hypertrophy: RECOVERING from training is what is needed for hypertrophy.  Training is CATABOLIC: it breaks down muscle.  After the catabolism, we need anabolism: that’s the recovery portion.  I covered this in a fairly recent post about training for self-destruction and eating for self-preservation, so rather than beat you up again over all that, I’ll get to my obvious conclusion there: the “secret” to getting bigger isn’t about training more: it’s about RECOVERING better.  It’s why steroids are popular among bodybuilding: it improves muscle protein synthesis, so the body recovers from training better and you gain more muscle than you naturally would.  Yes yes, some of you chuckleheads will talk about how they can also increase recovery and allow for more frequent training: do yourself a favor and read the “Metroflex Gym Powerbuilding Basics” book and TRY to find a 6 day a week program in it, to include the ones used by Branch Warren and Ronnie Coleman. 



Just imagine what they could have accomplished if they trained CORRECTLY...

 


But let me get to the REAL meat of the issue here: folks, if you’re lifting weights 6 times a week, you’re phoning it in.  I’m sorry, that upsets you, but it’s the truth.  The effective muscle building programs are 3-4 days a week because THAT’S THE MOST YOU CAN TRAIN.  You’re REALLY going to run Super Squats 6 times a week?  You’re really going to add 2 more days of lifting onto Deep Water?  You’re really going to run the lifting in 5/3/1 Building the Monolith back to back in one week?  Triple widowmaker DoggCrapp weeks?  No: not if you’re ACTUALLY putting in the required effort that these programs demand.  This is how I know that folks don’t understand effort: they balk at these programs because they “want to spend more time at the gym”.  If you LIKE spending time at the gym, that means you’re DEFINITELY not putting in the required effort to grow.  When you’re training hard enough to grow, it SUCKS.  I legit laid on my back in between sets 6 and 7 of a Deep Water workout one day and contemplated selling all of my equipment and quitting lifting because I hated it THAT much.

 

We make the body grow by imposing a significant demand on it, and said demand is going to take a WHILE to recover from.  I would legit walk like a wind-up toy solider for 6 days after the Deep Water squat workouts: leg day wasn’t happening twice a week.  When you set out with the requirement that you MUST lift weights 6 days a week, you put yourself in a position where you’re holding back 6 days a week to be able to meet your arbitrary programming requirements, which defeats your goal of training HARD enough to actually grow muscle.  Yes: even if you split the muscle groups “intelligently”: reference my previous discussion on bro-splits.  Unless you figure out a way to exclusively employ isolation exercises in your muscle group split, you’ll never NOT have overlap in your training, which means muscles will get stimulated from indirect work, which ALSO means that your “twice a week” approach is resulting in MORE than twice a week stimulation and, in turn, that you must hold too much in reserve to be able to accomplish that sort of frequency.



The berserker at Stamford wasn't planning on coming home

 


But fear not, follower of studies and science: it’s STILL possible to train a muscle twice a week without lifting 6 days a week: it seems you have (convieniently) forgotten about conditioning work.  What a shock, I know: everyone wants to lift weights because it’s easy: no one wants to do a burpee.  But conditioning is the answer here, specifically intelligently selected conditioning: stuff with minimal to no eccentric loading.  Pull a sled, push a prowler, walk up a hill with a weight vest, skip rope, do some Crossfit WODs with Olympic lifts, load stones and kegs, throw stuff, etc etc.  You get to train the muscles AND, when done well, these serve as “feeder workouts”: getting restorative bloodflow to your muscles in between these incredibly brutal muscle building sessions so that you can recover and give MORE effort into your lifting, which, in turn, will drive you to grow bigger and stronger.  It’s self-perpetuating. 

 

Ever wonder why Jim Wendler put all that conditioning in between the lifting in Building the Monolith?  Notice how Jon Andersen put in a day of stair work on Deep Water?  Remember John McCallum talking about getting in mile runs?  It’s because it’s been understood that, in the pursuit of getting jacked, we don’t ONLY lift weights.  Getting big means doing things that suck, and conditioning sucks.  Lifting weights is easy: you can do it while you lay down.  It’s natural that trainees want to gravitate toward doing THAT more often…and doing what comes natural to us is what makes us fat, slow, weak and soft.  Our nature betrays us: go be a freak.



Both are freaks: we wanna be like the one on the left


 

Lift hard enough that you CAN’T lift more than 3-4 days a week, and spend that extra time doing conditioning so that you CAN do the next workout and grow. 


27 comments:

  1. Yeah. Thats ONE way to do it, but certainly not the only way. And for all the naysaying you do about 6 day a week training, you don't back up any of YOUR claims with evidence either. You just say its already been proven, and we're dumb for not already knowing this. Shitpost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You don't provide any evidence" sounds a whole lot more genuine if you provide evidence yourself. This page has plenty of evidence that MythicalStrength has found a way to get bigger and stronger.

      Delete
    2. Are we reading the same blog post? Because he mentions several people who made 4-day programs and got huge off of that. That's evidence.

      Delete
    3. I don't see any need to support my claims in a blog based around rants and raves dude.

      Delete
    4. I guess as long as people understand this post is a rant and not advice then is ok.

      Delete
    5. None of my posts are advice: why would this one be unique?

      I don't ever link this blog. It's my blog. If you invite yourself to read it, that's cool, but it's a bit silly to read something I write for myself and then be upset about it :)

      And dude, it literally says "rants, raves and ideas about getting stronger". If folks don't understand it's a rant, they're pretty silly.

      Delete
    6. Calm down, no one upset mate. But when you preface the blog with a title like "if you want to get bigger, stop lifting 6 days a week", you can understand why some people might take this article as advice.

      Also your blog is also about "ideas", and people(like the person above) general like to see ideas supported with evidence. Just common sense.

      Enjoy your writing mate, these are just food for thoughts.

      Delete
    7. I apologize if you felt I needed calming: I'm laughing quite a bit myself. Hence the smiley face, haha.

      People are absolutely free to think and want whatever they want. But again, since it's my blog, I get to write however I like. I already got my masters: I've done enough citing sources in my life. I write for fun :)

      Delete
    8. Oh haha, you sounded upset so I just assumed you were. Won't happened again!

      You can absolutely write your blog however you want, you don't need to tell me that. But you are missing my point. You mentioned "folks don't understand it's a rant", and I was just offering other viewpoints that you might have missed where it is actually quite logical why some people didn't think is a rant.

      Also, thank you for defending your point and saying why you are not citing your source! I think this clears everything up! Keep up with the writing :)

      Delete
    9. To clarify, I said if folks don't understand it's a rant, they're pretty silly. With the perspective you have offered, I believe even more now that those people are silly, haha.

      Have a good one dude.

      Delete
    10. Thank you for the clarification, I understood what you meant. I'm sorry you think people who thought that are silly :)

      Thanks buddy, have a good one too!

      Delete
  2. Great post. I´ve been actually thinking of the relashonship between hard word and the amount of work you can put in for the last week. I´m going to run Super Squats again next month, and am already scared off the weights I gonna reach this time.
    Last time I ran the program, I startet to drop accessory-movements when the squats got to brutal. By the last week I just did the the BTN-Press and my squats.
    So right now I´m trying to figure out if I should start with a more minimalistic approach and stick to the plan no matter what, or if I start with the base program and accept that I´m propably gonna puss out as soon as the main work gets too brutal. I´m probably overthinking it.


    Are you going to write a review on "Metroflex Powerbuilding Basics"? It looks like a good read but I haven´t picked it up yet. Would be nice to hear your take on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck with Super Squats dude. It's calling to me, but I've got my own challenge set up for now. Maybe sometime in the future.

      I don't have any plans to review that particular book. I honestly don't care to do the book reviews, but I know they're popular. My short take on it is that it's a book that every beginner should read, because it's all encompassing and has a lot of good stuff in it. However, the 50+ programs contained within it are pretty underwhelming. I don't care of Josh's programming style: too percentage based. But everything outside of it is solid: good discussion on nutrition, movement selection, things like that.

      Delete
  3. I agree with your point about training so hard you are forced to recover however due to the lockdown i struggle to reach that state with my home equipment and have been successful with training everyday. It's like you said tho "everything works' so i will continue training daily but i encourage everyone to try different methods and see what works best for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure dude: the post clearly wasn't aimed at you. I feel like things got lost in translation.

      Delete
  4. You got me thinking, all the programs you listed have conditioning work except Super Squats which tells you to be straight up lazy outside of the workouts.

    But the breathing squat IS conditioning, your heart, lungs, ability to process lactic acid, anaerobic whatever (ATP? Creatine Phosphate? I stopped caring about that kinda detail) etc in addition to the direct strength and hypertrophy effect. Squatting 5x5 is a walk in the park compared to a set of breathing squats. Even a 20 rep non-breathing squat has less effect, because you can't use as much weight and the set is shorter.

    Especially if you decide to follow one of the suggestions in Super Squats to alternate your 6 weeks of 1x20 with 1x30.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember skipping all conditioning while running Super Squats and still being in decent CV shape when it was done...but also having complete psychological breakdowns when I'd get under a bar to squat, haha.

      Delete
  5. There does seem to be a sort of systemic/total body recovery that needs to happen after training... for whatever reason. 4 days of intense training just seems easier to recover from than 7 days of moderate trianing, though I have no clue why haha.

    Though I do wonder how far one can take this. Two days a week of gut-busting full body training? Once a week training but the day makes Super Squats look like a joke by comparison?

    And on the other side you have stuff like One Lift a Day which, in theory, should be doable 6 days a week long-term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a long standing precedent of effective twice a week training, with Super Squats actually advocating such an approach along with a 3 times every 2 weeks approach (So M and F of week 1, W of week 2, repeat). Stuart McRobert has advocated such abbreviated training as well.


      1 lift a day definitely slots well on 6 days a week, but wasn't what I was striking at in this post. I'm referring to the dudes that want to do a FULL lifting session six days a week. Dedicating yourself to a lift a day definitely allows you that opportunity to really smash the weights.

      Delete
  6. Something I noticed while running PPL is that it's really, really easy to get lazy with it.

    Life is messy, I didn't always have time to make it to the gym 6x a week. Often times I was training light (bc x2 a week) and then I wouldn't even do the 2nd workout!

    There's an absolute shit ton of people who have used PPL to get jacked, but it's inefficient for dedicated trainers and garbage for anything less.

    Hard to hate the program that ultimately got me into lifting, but man did it set in some bad habits. Glad I found 531.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curious why you say a method of splitting up bodyparts would lead to laziness. I could argue from my own experience that Upper/Lower leads to laziness, since I can train two days a week and still hit everything. With PPL, I still have to train 3x a week haha.

      I just never got how people claim X bodypart split leads to laziness.

      Delete
    2. Totally concur dude. And it's always leg day that gets skipped, haha. Also easy to just phone in the work on those ending sets.

      Delete
  7. I like to train 6 days a week, but I also know that it isn't working if I want to get stronger. So, I figured out what works for me. I pretend to train 6 days a week, even though I am not.

    I created this 3xUpperLower split, that's 6 training days, but in the end it's spread over 12-14 days. This spreads squats and deadlifts in a way that I feel recovered.

    And for some reason I can tell you that it's a "6 day workout" while completely acknowledging that it takes me 12-14 days to run it. My mind still believes it's a 6 workouts a week split and feels happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth noting that this post was about getting bigger rather than getting stronger, but it sounds like you have a pretty solid grasp here on the fatigue management aspect, haha.

      Delete
    2. I am doing both at the moment, bigger and stronger and it's working fine :)
      This is also in part thanks to your posts, about working hard and eating correctly. I draw a lot of inspiration and knowledge out of your blogs and look forward to them every week.

      Currently I am very close to/at/over doing a couple of sets of 6 with my June 2019 powerlifting competition PRs

      Delete