Friday, January 28, 2022

IF YOU DO WHAT EVERONE ELSE DOES, YOU GET THE RESULTS EVERYONE ELSE GETS


I know I’ve touched on this before, because that’s what happens when you write once a week on the same subject for a decade, but that, in turn, makes this self-affirming, because here I am doing things other people aren’t doing.  What I intend to discuss here is something that is so painfully obvious to me yet seems to escape the understanding of SO many people that I feel the need to just spell it all out here.  Being average is NOT being extraordinary.  Again, that seems obvious to me, but it seems to be an idea that has not been fully realized by, interestingly enough, the average person.  When you look at a bell curve, you have the top 10% and the bottom 10%, and in the middle is that smear of average where the majority reside.  Why does that matter?  Because in the pursuit of physical transformation, we are aiming to become bigger and stronger THAN AVERAGE.  It is a quest to GET to that 10% outlier: to NOT be constrained in that 80% of the bellcurve.  Being big and strong is DIFFERENT: it is deviant, it is outside the norm, some even consider it abhorrent (your top 10% is their bottom: value of perspectives), but however you classify it, it is outside the average.  So, acknowledging it this: WHY would you do what everyone else is doing?  If you do what everyone else is doing, you get the results that everyone else is getting!


I assure you: no one else was doing this



This is NOT a call-to-arms for counter-culture purely for the sake of being contrarian, although, in truth, you could have far worse of a personal policy if your goal is to be successful.  And that is because, quite frankly, the average person isn’t successful. Success is NOT an average quality.  “Maintenance” is what most people strive for: they accomplish just enough to keep from drowning, but don’t go beyond that.  The people that accomplish significant results in ANY endeavor are rare: they make up a very SMALL amount of the population.  This is why the majority of the world’s wealth is concentrated among a SMALL population of people rather than equally distributed among the majority.  Yes yes: wealth can be inherited, illegally obtained, etc etc: please don’t focus so much on the example.


No: not counter-culture for its own sake, but deviance for the purpose of being DIFFERENT.  Being different at LEAST gives you something in common with those that are successful, and the more things you do that make you more like those that are successful, the greater the possibility that you, yourself, are, in fact, successful.  “If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck” and such.  You SEE the results that everyone is getting: they’re not good.  At best, they’re average, for the very reasons I’ve discussed above.  They are unimpressive, not noteworthy, not anything to aspire to nor anything anyone care to write about or document in any way.  We turn on the TV to watch excellent athletes do excellent things: no one is recording the company softball game.


There are, of course, always exceptions



This is why, to BE different, we must DO different.  This is why, when someone tells me that the latest study says we must train the muscles twice a week for maximal protein synthesis, I do it once a week.  When I discover that the majority of nutritional literature expresses the importance of carbohydrates for training performance and hypertrophy, I cut carbs from my diet.  When I learn that conditioning and cardiovascular training “kills gains”, I do a ton of it.  When I hear I need to do daily stretching and mobility, I do none of it.  They make apps that make counting calories and macros even easier?  Sweet: my method of never counting them works REALLY well.  Let’s bulk when we’re at 20% bodyfat and cut at 8.  Did you know it’s possible to train REALLY hard on 4 hours of sleep?  


I am getting DIFFERENT results.  That’s my goal.  We all start out the same: perpetuating that is NOT my goal.  So if my methods diverge from what is normally considered the acceptable approach, that’s awesome!  And the majority of trainees tell me I’m training wrong, that’s what I endeavor for.  If I read about some method that is like nothing anyone else out there is doing, I’m of course GOING to try it, whereas if something looks super regimented, rehearsed, cleaned up and user friendly it’s NEVER going to enter into my calculations.


"I'm just saying, let's give his ideas a fair listen..."



This requires an absence of fear of the unknown…which is the very thing that keeps people in the status quo.  I’ve written a ton about never asking for permission, not seeking reassurance, “take chances, make mistakes, get messy”, and here it is again.  You’re not going to FIND research and studies, you’re not going to find a message board post about it, you’re not going to find a fitness influencer’s review, and if you ask into the void if it’s a good idea, they’re going to say “No”.  That’s exactly what you want!  You already KNOW the results of doing what everyone else is doing: it’s the exact reason you’re seeking something else.  In turn, you want “unproven” methods: within that unknown exists the potential for greatness!  You could sail off the edge of the world OR perhaps discover El Dorado, but at least you will have a DIFFERENT fate.


No, not fear of the unknown, but the opposite: joy!  Folks, after 22 years of training, do you know how excited I get when I see or hear of something I’ve never thought of?  Something “so crazy it just might work”?  I’m so exhausted with the trite “keep a rep in reserve and eat 500 calories over maintenance” gameplan that everyone is running that seeing ANYTHING that deviates from the norm excites me.  At least SOME folks are out there STILL trying to be different.  SOME folks are out there still wanting to be greater than average.  You can join their ranks.  You already KNOW how to be like everyone else: if your goal is to be unlike them, you need to DO unlike them.


16 comments:

  1. This is why is exclusively squat on a yoga ball

    ReplyDelete
  2. This probably goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyways! This mindset is great, but almost in line with the philosophy of the post itself, following it to a tee is probably not a good idea unless you have a bit of experience. The last paragraph is telling in that you do these things BECAUSE you've tried so many other things. If you set foot in the gym for the first time and just try to think of things to do that you've never seen or heard of anyone doing, then you will find yourself two years down the road in the dregs of fuckarounditis.

    From reading your blog, I know you don't really like the beginner, intermediate, advanced classifications for trainees. I think you have your own breakdown for them though.

    Beginner: Work hard, consistently. Find a program from someone smarter than you that has been written in a book. Read the book and follow it.

    Intermediate: Work hard, consistently. Trust your experience, try new shit and keep what works (but don't keep it for too long! Try new shit takes priority)

    Advanced: Work hard, consistently. You're probably not even reading this blog because you're stronger than I am.

    Anyways, I don't know why I'm leaving this comment, lol. I was just thinking through the post while typing it and now that its all there I'm just going to hit the post button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think very much differently than what you've proposed here. I feel a true rank beginner owes it to themselves to NOT have a plan, go to the gym, experiment a bunch, throw stuff against the wall and find out what sticks. That's exactly how I got started and it served me incredibly well, whereas I observe so many young trainees now with WAY too much information and no humanity. The "read a book and follow it" is far better at that intermediate phase, because at THAT point one has the necessary physical background to make sense of what the author is getting at.

      A rank beginner who has never once exerted themselves reads "keep a rep or 2 in the tank" and ends up keeping 6 in the tank because they've never tested their limit. One that's done a handful of deathsets knows it well.

      It's right up there with my Magic Schoolbus post. What you write as "f*ckarounditis" (term never made sense to me: inflammation of the f*ckaround?) is SUPER valuable from a learning perspective. The only way it's wasted time is if one refuses to learn from it.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait you are saying yes to poisoning a river?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going with the blog theme: he's the only villain that did that...and, in turn, the only one that ever actually got to destroy the world, haha.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say then why do you promote structured programs like 5/3/1, DeepWater, etc. that someone else created? And they are fairly popular and everyone else does it (5/3/1 in particular). Maybe I am an idiot but I never use anyone else's program and I am always just experimenting and creating my own programs even if it is suboptimal and unproven. I just take some movements I like and push it hard for lots of sets and lots of reps, increasing weight when I can. Maybe it would be better to follow a formal program but I don't care and to me it seems a bit hypocritical of you to follow other's programming. Discounting the fact that I know you take lots of different ideas and make it your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dude, you will have to forgive me, but if someone is going to claim I am being hypocritical, I would prefer they not be "anonymous".

      Be happy to discuss with you if you are willing to listen.

      Delete
    2. That's fair I just picked it as a lame pseudonym since I have never used this comment system before. I'm not being critical of you or your methods, just pointing out what I thought is a slight contradiction. I'd be interested to hear your response.

      Delete
    3. Another specific part that I take issue with: "This is why, when someone tells me that the latest study says we must train the muscles twice a week for maximal protein synthesis, I do it once a week. When I discover that the majority of nutritional literature expresses the importance of carbohydrates for training performance and hypertrophy, I cut carbs from my diet."

      I don't think you train once a week because everyone says train twice a week, you just stick to it in spite of what others say. If everyone said the studies say train once a week, would that make you change to twice a week? I don't think so. You train once a week regardless not in opposition to the common "wisdom" but because you want to. Your choices may be in opposition to what "everyone" says, but I doubt that they were created to be contrarian. So I think it is odd that you frame all of your opinions, which you would hopefully hold regardless, in opposition to the perceived opinion of the masses. You didn't cut carbs because "the majority of nutritional literature expresses the importance of carbohydrates", but rather you found it works for you independently. Again sorry if this comes across as a personal attack, it is not. Merely a nitpick and again I am sure you can refute it.

      Delete
    4. I do not foresee us being able to resolve this my dude. Best of luck in your training!

      Delete
    5. Thanks man. Not sure what you mean by resolve it. I can understand if you don't want to bother replying to pointless criticism. But I am genuinely curious if I have misinterpreted something.

      Delete
    6. I one day hope we can have that conversation in good faith. I am sure it would be interesting

      Delete
    7. What do I have to do to prove that? My intention was to spark an interesting discussion, sorry if I appeared inflammatory in some way. I can see that my style may have been a little too blunt and disrespectful or that I posed the question in an aggressive manner.

      Delete
    8. As I said in my first comment: if someone is going to levy an accusation of hypocrisy at me, I prefer they not be anonymous. You remain anonymous and continue to press the claim, despite knowing my wishes. This conveys to me an absence of said good faith.

      I do not foresee us able to have productive dialog at this time.

      Delete
    9. fair enough I guess I picked a bad username and I don't know how to change it

      Delete