Friday, January 7, 2022

ULTIMATE NERDING DAY: A TALE OF 2 BLACK KNIGHTS

 

 

Been wanting to write this one for a while, because it’s too fun being a nerd.  Today, we’re going to discuss the lessons we can learn from two different black knights.  The first one comes to us via Magic the Gathering, and is an OG, because I stopped buying cards back in ’97 when shadow came out as an ability and “RUINED THE GAME”.  Anyway, meet the black knight

 

It still just makes me so happy to see this





 

Let’s not focus on his abilities, his casting cost, his power and toughness, etc.  Today, we focus on the little quote underneath that stuff, referred to as the “flavor text”, which reads “Battle doesn’t need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose.  You don’t ask why a plague spreads or a field burns.  Don’t ask why I fight.”

 

Oh my god I LOVE that quote!  I’m not sure who over at Wizards of the Coast came up with it, but it’s just plain awesome, and it was awesome when I read it back in 1995 and it’s still awesome today, proving that I will forever be a child.  But maybe that’s why I don’t need to warm-up either compared to you old bastards…


Age is just a number

 


But anyway, that quote.  Why I love that quote is because it answers so many OTHER questions aside from “battle”.  So often I get asked “why”, and all I can think of is this quote.  I uploaded a video recently of me doing a 20 rep set of 320lbs on buffalo bar squats followed immediately with 20 deadlifts with 315lbs on the Texas Deadlift bar (and in a later version of it, on an axle)

 



 

And SO many people asked “why”? 

 

Or how about when I pulled 135lbs on the high handle trap bar for 365 reps in a single set on Thanksgiving?

 



 

Why? 

 

Folks: THAT is the reason.  I did it BECAUSE.  There needs to be no other reason than that.  If I did not do these things, these things would not be done!  How can these things be done if no one is doing them?  Quite frankly, if you don’t “get it”, there’s nothing I can do that will explain it to you. 

 

How will we get better without chaos?  How will we improve without challenges?  How will we get stronger without digging deep FOR NO REASON?  As soon as “why” is discussed, purpose doesn’t manifest: meaning dissipates.  When we try to break this down and analyze it, we make it LESS THAN.

 

It's not without precedent



And SO many trainees are SO afraid to do ANYTHING if it doesn’t have an immediately apparent purpose and benefit.  There is a HUGE debate on how much protein to take in to build muscle.  1g per pound of bodyweight, no wait .8g per pound, no it’s 1g per kilo, NO, ACTUALLY it’s about lean mass, WAIT, it’s actually based on your GOAL weight.  But the thing is: people are doing this because they think it’s POINTLESS to eat MORE than that.  Let’s find the bare minimum and not exceed it.  Why would you eat MORE protein than that?  Because protein is amazing!  Because I want to look like the kind of animal that eats a lot of protein.  Do you think a tiger cares about exceeding the amount of protein necessary for muscle building?  Do you think our starving ancestors would cease feasting on a fresh kill once they hit their limit?  It doesn’t matter if it’s building muscle or not: the feasting is its own purpose.

 

Why would you run Deep Water, with its 10x10 squats, when it’s been scientifically proven that you’re just accumulated junk volume with that many reps?  Because Deep Water is its own purpose!  It doesn’t matter if its effective or not: you run it BECAUSE.  Same with Super Squats.  Hell, I’ll throw Smolov in there, despite the shade I will throw at “Coach Smolov” being like Paul Bunyan: the program is its own purpose.  If you have to ask why, its not for you.

 

And now, our other Black Knight, this one by way of Monty Python

 



 

Ladies and gentlemen, we have found my spirit animal.  We should all endeavor to be more “black knightly” in our lives.  For one, he bit off WAY more than he could chew.  He was absolutely no match for Arthur, yet not only did he challenge him, but he challenge him with insufferable confidence to the point of arrogance.  What other way to approach a challenge than that?  If we go in timid, pensive, permission asking, we get exactly what we deserve.  The world will already beat you down enough: you don’t need to lend it a hand.  But when we go in with full confidence, completely blind to our own limitations and short-comings, we offer the necessary amount of positive energy to overcome the gravity of the world in order to create some sort of balance. 

 

But along with that, the Black Knight’s arrogance was not unearned: he demonstrated that he was ABSOLUTELY willing to do WHATEVER it took to achieve his goals.  Irrespective of consequences, irrespective of outcome, he had a dedicated task and he wasn’t going to let trivial things like “missing limbs” stop him.  His single-minded psychosis serves as a model of dedication to the point of ugliness.  When you do something so hard that it stops being admirable and starts being disgusting.  And talk about not worrying about injuries!  There was no regard for consequences here: VICTORY was the goal, and it was going to be achieved by ANY means necessary.


Going heavy in the Futurama on this one

 


How often do we self-impose limits?  (Before I go any further, for f**k’s sake, when you “self-VERB” something, it is, by definition, done to yourself.  Don’t say stupid stuff like “I self-taught myself”.  Duh!  Could you self-teach someone else?)  “I want to be a 242lb powerlifter!”  Sweet: eat this box of pop tarts after you lift.  “Oh, I’m not going to eat unhealthy food, and I need to keep my abs.”  Eh?  “I wanna train like a strongman!”  Sweet: go get some kegs and sandbags.  “My gym doesn’t have those and I’m not going to buy them.”  Eh?  The Black Knight was “getting to yes” right before our eyes!  I’ll win this fight with a sword.  No arms, no sword?  I’m gonna kick!  1 leg?  I’ll headbutt!  Instead of lamenting what he didn’t have, he focused on what he did have!  Do I hear “training with an injury” ringing in the distance?  There are SO many lessons to be learned from this ONE scene.

 

Go celebrate the Black Knights.  Spend some time playing Magic the Gathering with Monty Python on in the background.  Go buy “Heroes’ Feast”, cook a recipe from the Dwarf section and chow down on it while you play.  Get ready to train absolutely bonkers FOR ITS OWN REASON without fear of consequences.  Maybe they will make a card after you one day.   

14 comments:

  1. Classic card. Him and Uncle Istvaan had about ten copies of them. Oh shit and Takklemaggot. Need moar MTG.

    Never understood why people can't just do shit because it's fun. We did kneeling clean and presses, max 1rm ab Wheel rollouts, and walked kilometres with a 60kg barbell and a sandbag through a field drinking beer.

    Lift weights. It's fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell yeah dude! My MtG roots run deep...but not far. I've tried getting back into it and it's so weird now, haha.

      People who always need a reason to do things have got to live very limiting existences. Some of the most interesting things happen without reason.

      Delete
    2. The social climate doesn't help, I kinda like actual physical cards (and yknow, talking to people) so refuse to pump money into virtual cards on the video game version. But yeah, it seems like these days after a couple years break there are 50 new mechanics and I have no idea what's going on

      Delete
  2. I gotta say that I love your mentality. I look forward to reading your blog every week. It's a constant battle between my mind and my will to just go out and do the hard shit. And like you said, it won't get done unless I do it. Also, more often than not, the reason is training your body and mind to go out there in order to do harder shit in the future. Why should I care if it's optimal? In the long run what matters is that I did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you as a reader dude. You summed it up well. Getting wrapped up about optimal is so silly. None of us are ever going to be optimal: let's settle for great.

      Delete
  3. I love this entry because:

    1. altering something by analyzing it reminds me of the basis of quantum mechanics (which I don't purport to actually understand)

    2. holy AIM profile that card quote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's cool is that Taoism links into that bit of quantum mechanics with the notion that "The Tao that can be spoken of is not the true Tao". Funny to watch these principles cross disciplines, cultures and timelines.


      Oh my god AIM! This whole post is like a gigantic lovenote to the 90s/early 2000s.

      Delete
  4. I love this analogy "Do you think our starving ancestors would cease feasting on a fresh kill once they hit their limit?" I use similar to debunk protein limit myths (you know the 30g limit or whatever) - if our ancestors were out all day hunting and taking great effort to kill prey, do you think we would have lasted long as a species if our bodies put limit on how much protein we could have?

    There are so many other great parts to this post, and lots more things to think about....thank you as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always appreciate your feedback dude. People get so stupid with nutrition. No one is screwing up their gains by eating too much protein, haha.

      Delete
  5. About a week ago, I was in my garage training with my neighbor. I had just finished a squat widow maker set @ 305 (so close to 3 plate), and he asked “How useful is your strength? You’ve got on lifting shoes, knee sleeves, and a belt. How much could you do in real life?” Made me really think. So he and I went to a commercial gym today in timberlands and jeans. Did no warm up and did a squat widow maker set @ 305. It sucked. But mainly because the jeans started chafing around rep 12. Everyone there was asking us “Why?” and we just kept saying “Why not?”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Why not" is SUCH a powerful sentiment. More people need to bring it into their lives. You did something awesome there dude: great work!

      Delete
    2. Paraphrased:

      "The question isn't why. It's why not?"

      - Androids 17 and 18 in DBZ Abridged.


      Dragon Ball and even its parodies continue to be inspirational haha.

      Delete
  6. Posts like these always make me feel that your mindset is that of a fighter and not a lifter. And I'm saying this 100% based on averages and stereotypes haha.

    Unsurprisingly, you did wrestling and trained MMA for a bit too, correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martial arts was my first love for sure, and I've come back to it recently having got into Tang Soo Do. I started off with Tae Kwon Do when I Was 8, picked up wrestling in high school, and made up MMA back when that was what we did, haha. I trained Muay Thai and boxing and attended some jiu jitsu and submission wrestling classes to pick up a handful of subs while falling back on my wrestling background. I could get away with that then. Now...not so much, haha. Absolutely appreciate the sentiment.

      Delete