Saturday, July 25, 2026

TACTICAL BARBELL III (OPERATIONAL ATHLETE) REVIEW

BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT (BLUF)


Apparently TB follows Zelda rules, where the third one may actually be the best ever

·       Buy this book.  I read someone refer to this as “What 5/3/1 Forever should have been”, and that’s a great summary.  And 5/3/1 Forever is one of my favorite books on training, because it quite literally gives you all the training tools you need for the rest of your life, but THIS book does so in a way that is laser focused, clear, concise, and “Army-proof”.  If you screw up what is written in THIS book, it’s clearly a “you” issue.  And much like I wrote about 5/3/1 Forever, I can not BELIEVE the price of this book and how it’s NOT $100.  You are practically stealing when you get this.

 

WHERE I’M COMING FROM


I have a lot of military influence to inspire me

·       I’m 40 years old.  I’ve been exercising for 26 years.  I’ve competed in martial arts, grappling, powerlifting and strongman, and I’ve run races of various distances.  I’ve read a LOT of books on physical transformation/training, and reviewed many of them as well.  This book is on my Mount Rushmore of training books and in the race for the #1 spot.  

 

WHAT’S SO GREAT ABOUT THIS BOOK?


He strikes me more as a Vince Gironda kinda guy

·       This is an “all-in-one” manual on how to accomplish any general training goal while ALSO providing one the tools necessary to be able to tailor toward specific goals (assuming they have the requisite background knowledge/experience to identify what their specific demands are).

·       Because of that, this book takes the time to pick from the “greatest hits” of Books 1 and 2 to be able to give you everything you need in order to get bigger, stronger, and more physically capable WITHOUT being overwhelmed by choices.  And it also means you don’t need to navigate between multiple books in order to construct a plan.  As a former fast food junkie, the analogy is that this is a McDonald’s Express like you’d find in an airport, rather than a full menu McDonalds.  You can get a Big Mac or a Double Quarter Pounder, but there’s no filet-o-fish.

·       This is also a VERY easy read.  Only a few instances where I got tripped up on an acronym or had to double back to confirm something.

 

WHAT’S NEW/WHAT EXCITED ME?


It's not just more of the same...although this DOES excite me


 

·       I absolutely love the creation of the “work capacity” block of training.  This was an idea that I was kicking around with my own mutation of Tactical Barbell that was given wings/permission by the author.  It’s no secret that I’m a fan of absolutely stupid workouts that leave me completely trashed and take more than they give, and my original genius plan was to run a 3 week Operator/Black block where I used these workouts as my HICs.  Basically just get it out of my system and then get back to productive training.  This book, instead, made those workouts the FEATURE of a training block, with an option to focus on power or strength endurance during the non-HIC workouts, still in a 3 week duration.

·       Base building has been redeveloped.  Now it’s a 4 week block vs an 8 week block.  My Tactical Barbell dirty secret is I’ve never done Base Building, primarily because that 8 week block was just a bridge too far for me, and after 2+ decades of exercising I felt like my base was built.  But I can absolutely open myself up to the idea of a 4 week hiatus from hard lifting to be able to develop other physical qualities.  That looks especially appealing in the summer months.

·       The “activation” portion of the book is a complete cradle to grave 25 week training protocol with everything spelled out.  I don’t have any intention to run it myself, but I love that there is something in the book to say “just do this” for anyone struggling to come up with an idea.

·       New conditioning protocols.  Black and Green have been re-tooled, and there is an introduction for “Blue” as well.  Without giving away too much, this just continues to open up more and more options to make TB modular to any training demand.  And much like I’ve written about 5/3/1, the introduction of NEW material doesn’t obviate the old material.  This doesn’t make TB1 and 2 “not work”: it affords more tools in the toolbox.

·       Expanded options for previous lifting protocols.  As above: more tools in the toolbox. 

 

INSPIRED IDEAS FROM THE BOOK  


It's not QUITE this bad, but...


·       That Work Capacity block of training is honestly just perfect for my own Strongman preparation training block idea I’ve created through Operator Pro.  My current approach is a 6 week block of Pro using the hypertrophy ranges for the secondary work (10, 8, 6) and then a 6 week block with the strength ranges (all 5s).  That’s 12 weeks leading into a comp.  From there, one could spend the final 3 weeks doing ONLY events and power or strength endurance work depending on what needs bringing up, and just put aside the basic barbell strength work.  And if a 15 week training block is too long, 3 weeks can get cut from one of the preceding blocks to make up for it.  Factor in a bridge week as appropriate.

·       Speaking of Operator Pro, I feel like this particular template opens itself up to be run in a Conjugate manner (which, for the real lifting nerds out there, I’m sure my understanding of conjugate isn’t “real conjugate”, but it’s what I understand from Westside Barbell), similar to the Cube Method.  Since the training blocks are 3 weeks long, that’s the max duration for a max effort movement rotation.  The 2-3rm daily max is effectively a max effort movement.  Each day, 1 of the 3 is featured primary movements gets a 2-3rm set.  After that, the remaining 2 movements are trained in a submax manner.  This opens up the opportunity to train them in either a repetition effort manner OR a dynamic effort manner: use the hypertrophy range for the former and the strength range for the latter.  So, as an example, we have a day where we set a squat 2-3rm (max effort), then bench press for 5x10 (repetition effort) and deadlift for 5x5 (dynamic effort: make sure to perform each rep explosively).  Next workout, we bench for a 2-3rm, deadlift for 5x10 and squat for 5x5.  Then, after 3 weeks, we change the primary lift of the day to a new variation (front squat instead of back squat, for example).  We COULD swap out the secondary lifts too, or keep them in place for technique work.  And, if we wanted to get REALLY conjugate, we could swap the primary lift more frequently than at the end of the 3 week cycle.         

 

WHAT ISN’T THERE?


Makes sense to me


 

·       The book doesn’t tell you HOW to perform the movements (as in, there are no instructions on what a good squat looks like, running technique, etc).  In classic parlance, it doesn’t tell you “how to suck the egg”.

·       This book doesn’t contain the explanations for the how behind they why with the methodology as it relates to strength.  TB1 explained the value of frequent sub-maximal practice in order to develop strength, and why we DON’T need to slaughter ourselves in the weight room to grow.  However, this book does do a good job of re-explaining the value of the aerobic capacity for anaerobic work, similar to TB2.

 

WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED?


We're lacking ambition here

·       I feel like a trainee could buy this book and not buy books 1 and 2 and be alright, but I feel like Mass Protocol still contains enough unique information/approaches to it that it’s worth having in addition to this book.  Along with that, TBIII makes specific references TO Mass Protocol without “giving up the goods”, so it will give you more tools in your toolbox.  You most definitely COULD achieve hypertrophy goals using just what is available in this book, but Mass Protocol will expand that AND help get you into the “mass building mindset”.  It also contains different nutritional and conditioning protocols that are specific for the mass building function.

·       There’s a fair argument to pick up “Ageless Athlete” if you are an aging athlete.  It’s a VERY different book (which makes sense, with it being a different author), and it provides some excellent training strategies and psychology to help vector your way toward success.  That said, I’m 40 years old and still trying to train like I’m not…

 

IN SUMMARY









·       Buy this book.  Buy multiple copies, in case you lose one.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment