Saturday, January 11, 2020

NIGHT SHIFT BULLET POINTS



- Gonna kick off with the sensitive topic of drugs, but not what’s usually discussed when it comes to lifting.  I often see people ask the question about the impact of marijuana on lifting.  My follow up question is always “If you found out it had a negative impact, would you stop using it?”  I’ve never seen a single person respond with an affirmative to that, simply that they would use LESS of it, or that they’d try to time their use better.  What the hell is the point of this question?  We’ve now run into that weird bit of pseudo-optimization where we want to do everything in our power to maximize gains…except of the things in our power to maximize gains.

Image result for skinny kid with supplements
Not pictured: a steak

- On that note, let’s discuss being “drug free” here.  People use that term to mean free of performance enhancing drugs, but consider taking it a step further.  The only drug I’ve ever used recreationally is caffeine.  I never got into drinking (to the point that I’ve never had a drink), no nicotine, and nothing illegal.  I’ve used pain killers when I was in pain, with a doctor’s prescription, and even then, sparingly.  I’ve managed to accomplish some things that some folks in the internet community insist are only possible with the use of performance enhancing drugs.  Perhaps it’s worth considering what the impact of being drug free has as it relates to training and achieving physical results.  I’ve never been hung over, I haven’t imbibed controlled poisons for prolonged durations, haven’t filled my lungs with smoke, haven’t made poor nutritional choices as a result of an altered mental state, etc etc.  I don’t say all this to be holier than thou, as hedonism is just as valid a decision as asceticism when we see things as an absurdist, but it’s more something worth considering when we view what is possible.  When we talk about the limitations of “drug free trainees”, as we really thinking of trainees that have been “drug free”.

- Diving down even further into discussion on natural limits, I observe a direct overlap between those individuals that claim that a natural trainee achieves their max potential after 2 years of training and those same individuals that want to optimize their training to the greatest degree possible.  I genuinely don’t understand how one can hold both of these beliefs in their head at the same time.  If you’re going to reach your maximal potential within 2 years of training while training the most optimal way possible, how long will it take you to reach those same results training just a little sub-optimally?  2 years and 3 months?  2.5 years?  A mere pittance really.  Why not just train the way you want to train vs worrying about being as optimal as possible?  You’ll get there soon enough.  You’d imagine the only people worried about training as optimally as possible are those folks that will admit that a natural trainee can grow for over 2 decades of training, because in THAT instance you wouldn’t want to waste any of your training time: eventually, your body will be too aged to make the most of your training.  In THAT situation, you’re up against a clock, but 2 years?  Hell, it takes longer to graduate high school.

- Paul Carter is pissing some folks off right now talking about how volume isn’t the answer to growth, but instead it’s intensity of effort that drives it, referencing back to DoggCrapp style training.  I had to admit: my experience agrees.  Now, that having been said, Deep Water is still, in my mind, the most effective program I’ve ever done, and it has tons of volume, but it ALSO mixes it in with an insane degree of intensity of effort.  But left to my own devices, I tend to favor a lot of “single set” work.  It can get a little confusing to the outside observer, as what I’ll consider to be a single set will, in fact, have a significant degree of rest pausing and dropsets in it that one could make the argument I’m really doing several sets with short rest periods instead, equating to an argument FOR volume, but I feel that a trainee with experience can tell the difference between the two.

Image result for zeno of elea
And if you REALLY think of it, time between reps is an illusion anyway

- Let’s talk about that experienced trainee above though.  One of the biggest arguments AGAINST single set work for a new trainee is that they simply lack the ability to push themselves hard enough to get anything out of just 1 set of work.  I’ve had SEVERAL trainees talk to me about the Super Squats program and ask if they should do 2-3 more sets of squats after that first set, at which point my eyes bug out of my skull and I ask them how they can even THINK about squatting after the 20 reper in that program.  But the fact of the matter is that they can’t push themselves hard enough to actually dig in deep and get as close to failure as someone with more experience under their belt.  So we tell these trainees to just get in as much volume as possible because, in the absence of intensity of effort, one can substitute with an abundance of training volume.  But now we also have arguments that reps below a certain percentage of 1rm are “junk volume” and don’t contribute.  So now we have trainees that can’t train hard enough to make use of single set work, because of that they also have no conception of what their real 1rm is, and when they push for volume sets they’re staying so far from failure that they aren’t getting in effective reps.  So should we just tell new trainees not to train?

- I came up with the ultimate “weight gain plan”: 2 cycles of 5/3/1 BBB Beefcake, a 1 week deload, Building the Monolith, 1 week deload, Deep Water Beginner then Deep Water intermediate.  Boils down to 26 weeks of training: half a year, all mapped out, and there’s even an eating plan detailed 18 weeks of it.  Well, in watching people implement this program, it looked like I forgot to include one important piece of instruction: don’t f**k it up. 

- That I have to say “don’t f**k it up” blows my mind.  I can’t tell if it’s a sign that I’m smart or that I’m stupid, but I don’t have any issue with program compliance.  A program says “Do X for Y”, and that’s what I do.  But I observe trainees who hire coaches and pay them money and STILL go off program.  “I know today was supposed to be 80% for triples, but I was feeling really good so I set a new 1rm!”  Hey, genius, the reason you felt good was because your coach was PROGRAMMING you to feel good: so you could set that 1rm in a competition.  But no, it’s cool: now it’s on Instagram.  That’s all that matters, right?

Image result for squatting on a bosu ball
One day, you're gonna wish it was never posted online

- I genuinely, truthfully, do not understand the current claims about unrealistic male body image expectations in the media.  Some 40 year old dude recently got in shape for a Marvel movie and there was a bunch of backlash for it because of the expectations it set for young men.  Did we forget the 80s?  Did we forget Arnold, Stallone, The Barbarian Brothers, Dolph, JCVD, etc etc?  If anything, the male image has been getting SMALLER, not bigger.  It’s becoming MORE realistic.  How come no one cared when the ideal male image was absolutely bonkers? 

- I’ve had a few requests for me to voice my thoughts on “evidence based training”.  I suppose first I have to learn what the hell that is.

- I remember when we were concerned about the results training had on US, rather than the results it had on other people.

- I’ve noticed a direct correlation between someone having leaked 5/3/1 Forever online and a rise in very stupid question about the book.  Almost as though paying for a book promotes more careful reading.

- I am going to show my ignorance on this one, but are English speaking authors (and primarily Americans) really the driving force behind all things health and fitness related?  I ask, because the common complaint about 5/3/1 Forever is “international shipping is expensive”.  Don’t folks in other countries have their own dudes putting out material?  Like, Jim Wendler doesn’t seem like he should be that big a deal to reach world-wide acclaim.  And I say that as a guy who is a big fan of his work, but fundamentally we’re talking about a dude that was in one of the most niche sports ever with unlimited-ply powerlifting.  You don’t need 5/3/1 Forever: you can use a different book and still get big and strong.

Image result for mariusz pudzianowski
I bet THIS guy has some cool things to say on the topic of training

- “You protest too much” is such a stupid thing people say, yes, even if you’re paraphrasing Shakespeare.  It’s typically when it comes to accusations about using steroids, where if a trainee doesn’t argue against the accusation it’s guilt by omission, but if they argue against it they “protest too much” that it’s a sign that they’re being too defensive and, therefore, are guilty.  There’s no winning on that situation, which is typically the intent of anyone that makes the accusation in the first place.

- I’m getting sick of people thinking strongman is a sport where you eat a lot of food and lift weights on occasion.  I’ve seen more photos of food than I have of lifts on certain sections of the internet, and you got dudes who absolutely REFUSE to lose any weight.  Remember how we started exercising to get healthy? 

   


19 comments:

  1. The volume discussion/question is a hilariously frustrating one because we lack clear definitions for any of these terms. The textbook line of "volume is sets multiplied by reps above 65% of 1RM" is woefully inadequate. Ignoring even the obvious question of where the research came from to determine the 65% (not 64 or 66) figure, what 1RM? 1RM in best conditions? Cue Paul Carter's infamous "you aren't a 700lb squatter" moment. ALL reps above 65%? What if I do triples at 65%? What if it's a prolonged eccentric? What if it's low rest? So then we say "high-effort sets" and start trying to define effort/intensity, and also volume, and run into the same problems. We can't have a good discussion of methods if we aren't even using key terms the same way.

    Charles Poliquin said on Powercast that training is like learning a new language. He elaborated on that to mean not that you have to learn new words and definitions, but the challenge of learning the connotations of words and the way that tone changes meaning. "Did he really say that?" was his example phrase. "Did HE really say that?" "Did he really say THAT?" "DID he really say that?" "Did he really SAY that?" "Did he REALLY say that?" are the same words with five very different meanings.

    I just reviewed a piece of research that sought to establish reliability of RM testing within and between participants. They used an air resistance machine that recorded force output so that all trainees could exert max force on every rep, instead of relying on trial-and-error weight-selection like a traditional lift RM test would. They tested 5, 30, 60, and 120RM, and even with this standardization of effort, upper body lifts above a 5RM were too inaccurate within lifters, and between lifters, to be useful in an evaluation. Lower body lifts above 5RM were too inaccurate to use with a study population of 20. (they had 28 in the study, and ran the same numbers with population of 20 to determine). So even in studies that use an RM, we don't know if that RM actually an RM or if it's just a variance in motivation, familiarity, experience, etc.

    Which we knew all along...

    WR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic comment! It's so funny too, as my background is POLITICAL science and even I am aware of these inadequacies in definitions, yet I witness folks that want to hold their STEM degrees in high accord and yet fail to take the lessons from that education and REALLY apply them to training. A common language needs to be established before a discussion can be had.

      As is typical: the more we learn, the more we realize we haven't learned.

      Delete
    2. Thanks man. Your blogs always get me thinking about things differently and connecting dots that I hadn't thought about connecting.

      On the subject of international writing, I got an email from an Austrian coach who says that there's no one writing in German/French on the subjects I write on. She is fluent enough to read, but not speak, English, so she translates English works for her own use. I want to know more about why, as it sounds like a fascinating sociological question. Is physical training culture more embedded in other countries, so they are less reliant on written works? Is there something cultural restricting guru-dom? Are there just too many non-English languages to pick up a majority of the market and make a marketable product? Less studies on sets and reps, more studies on sociocultural!

      WR

      Delete
    3. I think part of what's going on is a. lot of people in STEM are more into appearing intellectually superior rather than actually being smart. They get this elitist attitude where they think they're better than everyone for being so smart and not one of those "business or law school dropouts".

      Computer science, in my experience, was particularly toxic with this.

      Delete
    4. WR: I totally dig the hypothesis you came up with there. I never woulda gone with the angle that it's an issue of being more "obvious" there that there's no real need to write about it. It does make a bit of sense, and might even have something to do with just how old those societies are. You had dudes writing about Knightly fitness programs in feudal Europe apparently, and other societies had similar approaches, whereas meanwhile we had Kellogg here in the states prescribing enemas and fasting. What's wrong with us? Haha.

      Delete
  2. @the point about non-American authors:

    I live in Italy and I can tell you pretty confidently that there isn't a single fitness person putting out content that's even close to being as good as that of the elite American authors we see online.

    We are bombarded by silly advice, people that elect themselves "personal trainers" or experts after 1.2 years of training and the worst thing is that they have a pretty good following.

    Not many people speak English in my country, statistically speaking. And the ones that have slightly better competence or knowledge are usually those who do and you can totally see the influence if you know enough authors.

    Bottom line is, I feel lucky to be one of the relatively few in my country that can speak this language and hence has access to the real, legit information that, unfortunately, the Italian fitness community doesn't provide us with.

    Disclaimer: I hope it's clear that I used the word "fitness" as a shortcut to mean training, nutrition and all things gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the input dude. Didn't Franco Columbu release works in Italian? I thought I heard that at least.

      It's so weird for me to imagine this as primarily an American thing. You are definitely doing yourself favors by being so well educated in various languages. You have access to so much knowledge.

      Delete
    2. There are no books in Italian by Franco Columbu that I can find. I just ordered Forever to Italy after complaining a bit about the price haha. StrongFirst (Pavel's group) is pretty popular in Italy as far as I can tell which is probably largely connected to how popular Functional Fitness has become.

      Delete
    3. Samuele, just out of interest, where abouts in Italy are you? I am up in Alto Adige.

      Delete
    4. Liguria. Looks like we are both in the same half of the country.

      Delete
  3. Your second point really got me thinking about what the definition of "drug free" can actually mean when taken to its limit, and mostly about how being "drug free", whether in that sense or in the "steroid free" sense can actually benefit a trainee and not detract from their capacity to achieve respectable physical feats.
    Great read as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated dude. I genuinely think there's something to be said of it. Drugs are so much a part of all cultures that it's pretty rare to find folks that abstain, and we tend to just sorta factor in the detrimental effects into our everyday calculus. Sorta like how some dudes can have more "mileage" than others based off all the stuff they put in their bodies.

      Delete
  4. Just a thought that popped into my head, regarding drugs. If you can't even be compliant with federal law because you want to screw off and get high, just how compliant can you expect to be on a program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some dudes, it doesn't seem to be a factor. Heck, you could even argue that the ones that are successful with drug usage may demonstrate a greater ability with compliance: just in a different vector. Keeping compliant with dosages and timing can be pretty tough. Hell, I've tried keeping a multivitamin protocol before and ended up missing days because I forgot.

      Delete
    2. I can see that. I don't mean it's an invariant, I have certainly seen people who use drugs and are successful and people who use drugs who aren't successful, and my profession has definitely skewed my outlook a bit.

      Delete
  5. Regarding your point about non-english training literature:
    As an Austrian I can only talk about the german-speaking market. The most people who are into serious training just gravitate to the english material because the german fitness industry is poluted with weird training-manuals by celebritys and bodybuilding books that still repackage and resell Arnolds books. Also strength-sports are not realy popular here, so most english books don't get translated.
    But this shouldn't be a problem since most people here (especialy under 30 years old) speak english very well, and (nearly) all the english publications are available on amazon.de (at least the e-book versions).
    Just last week I ordered The Complete Keys to Progress.
    Yeah, I can't realy see why people would bitch about this, especialy since we are talking about Jim Wendler, who also puts all the information on his blog.

    Also I'm running Super Squats right now as a beginner (about 13 months of training) and gotta say: its fucking brutal. I folowed very simple strength routines for my first year (think "Starting Stregth") and gained a lot of strength and size during this time. However, now that i cranked up the volume and the effort i seem to be getting bigger by the day. Realy teached me about effort=progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you along dude. So fascinating to have the most popular bodybuilder of all time originate from Austria and find that there is still a drought of training material over there, but would most likely explain why he immigrated in the first place.

      Sorry it took me so long to get to this, as I'm sure you're even further along or possibly finished with Super Squats, but enjoy that program. It's so valuable.

      Delete
  6. Hey MythicalStrength, long-time lurker of Reddit/r/weightroom. Really enjoyed this one; I never thought about that point about newer lifters not knowing how to really push themselves, and this combined with push for intensity over volume could really mess with them... very interesting! Also wanted to let you know that I finally bit the bullet and bought 5/3/1 Forever after re-reading your posts about them many times haha. It is definitely a mess speaking in terms of the way it is organized, but I am finding that reading over and over about Jim's insistence on balanced approach to training is definitely helpful, even if they seem obvious most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man, great to have you along. That book is a solid read. It needs to be digested as a whole several times, but there's a lot to get out of it. Glad you're enjoying it.

      Delete