Saturday, January 18, 2020

SUCCESS CAN’T BECOME OBSOLETE




It most likely shocks no one that I’m not an “early adopter” as far as technology goes.  I didn’t get text messaging until 2013, and that was only because my work was sending schedule changes by text and I wasn’t getting them.  I still don’t own a tablet.  I write these blogs on a laptop I bought in 2015, and I also use that same laptop to play through my 300th playthrough of Fallout and Diablo (man, 1996-1997 was a GOOD era).  I’m still driving the first car I ever bought back in 2008.  Examples abound, the fact of the matter is, when something works, it doesn’t really matter to me if something better comes along: I only tend to make changes when I need to.  But here’s the crazier thing about this: this is me not adopting new technology in the face of the fact that obsolesce is a real concept in the world of technology and still achieving success.  So why would you need to change how you train to avoid obsolesce?

Image result for louie simmons
This is the exact look I imagine I'd get from him after he read that

Where is this rant going?  Specifically, I’m rallying against people that read one article or watch one Podcast (say, the Joe Rogan Experience, featuring Pavel Tsastouline or Rob Oberst) or one study (abstract of course) and suddenly decide that their entire training protocol needs an overhaul and everything needs to be thrown out.  These trainees discover that any rep above 5 is “garbage volume”, or that they should never do deadlifts, or that they should never strain in training, or that they need to train bodyparts twice a week, etc etc.  And I ask them “Was your training working PRIOR to this discovery?”  And what do I get in response? 

People act like that question is completely immaterial to the conversation at hand, and that, quite frankly, is insane.  And not the kind of insanity that I champion, of Viking berserkers charging headlong into battle against mounted armored cavalry wearing nothing but bearskins, but more the “tinfoil hat to keep the government radiowaves out of my skull” kinda insane.  The primary goal of training is to achieve your goals: THAT is why you train.  If your training is achieving your goals, IT IS WORKING.  If you are getting bigger and stronger training a bodypart once a week, you have demonstrated that this method is a method that achieves success.  If a study comes out that says otherwise, THAT STUDY IS WRONG.  At least, insofar as it relates to you.  The same is true if you’re the kinda dude that squats until you puke and find out that submax training is what works, or if you’re a walking JPS meme and have “there is no reason to be alive if you can’t do deadlift” tattooed on your body and discover that you’re not supposed to deadlift: if it works for you, then the “new technology” is wrong.

“But I want to be optimal!”  Oh my god, shut up.  I think I had plans to make this into a paragraph, but honestly, that about says it all.

Image result for step brothers you sound stupid

Folks, the human body is not evolving at a rate that you can perceive, to include by the decade.  Things that worked in the 1920s are going to work in 2020, let alone things that worked in 2010.  Sure, there are a few mutations roaming around, but you’ll know if you have one pretty quick, and unless you’re a new X-man, it means that methods that work will work for you.  This includes things like “bro splits”, which were just called “splits” back in the day, because people somehow were less stupid despite having access to less information and “knowledge” back in the day and didn’t need to give derogatory names to a way to train.  It includes HIT, Heavy/Lights, Arnold’s Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding training, Abbreviated Training, Heavy Duty Training, Dogg Crapp, and yes, EVEN the first edition of 5/3/1 (so you can stop getting upset that Jim released newer editions, because you can still use the old one if you want to).  Simply because new information came along doesn’t somehow invalidate the success of that old information: it just means there’s even MORE ways to achieve your goals now.

And let me just make the observation that, the more I see trainees try to follow the “new rules” of training, the more I see trainees failing to make results.  One of the most popular programs I’ve seen recently is a 6 day a week Push/Pull/Legs program.  Since push/pull/legs would only train the muscles once a week (taboo, you see), this means trainees need to run the program 6 days a week, in order to hit that holy “2 days a week’ for training muscle groups.  And every time I’m online and I see someone say that they’re stalling in their training, I ask them what program they’re running and they reply with this.  And I can’t help them.  Primarily because I grew up in an era where, if you told any dude you were lifting weights 6 times a week, their immediate reply would be “stop doing that: it’s too much training”.  Primarily because there was an expectation back then that you were absolutely slaughtering a muscle group when you trained it, and that you needed to rest it so it could recover and grow.  And now we’re told that idea can’t possibly work, in spite of the fact that it does, and that instead, this new idea is what works…in spite of the fact it doesn’t?


Image result for squatting on a bosu ball
I suppose I've seen crazier ideas...

And before I get flooded by people that want to defend their holy PPL program, LEARN the lesson of what I’m writing here.  If I’m writing a blog saying your program can’t work, and your program HAS worked for you: that means I’m wrong.  BUT, if someone wrote that the program you’re following will work, and it’s NOT working: that means THEY’RE wrong.  Success can’t become obsolete, but failure is a SURE sign that something needs to get evolved.  And maybe, sometimes, evolution moves us backwards or sideways instead of forward.       

16 comments:

  1. Earlier today I read a thread on reddit in which the OP was asking if Arnold's program was too much volume, and one of the comments was a guy going off about Arnold's book being 35 years old and outdated. I found it curious, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you.
      Well, the volume prescribed in Arnold's program is the volume prescribed in Arnold's program… It can be enough, too little or too much, depending on who is doing it. That much should be readily apparent, and yet so many people still ask that question. People just need to go out there, have a little faith and just experiment for themselves… Old programming is at least in principle still solid programming, anyone with a tiny bit of common sense will be able to see that. As an aside, I really can't stand reddit anymore, particular the volume discussions, I feel like it's such a stupid discussion to have. Like, sort of figure out your own volume by trial and error, stick with it and adjust as needed. Isn't that what it comes down to ? People get silly over it, and Paul Carter and Mike Israetel exemplify that by pushing their low or high volume agendas in a preachy and absolutist way too. I mean, I've been doing one set per exercise for months and have been getting better than ever, so I stick with it; if someone else gets good results by doing a zillion sets, then good for them. We're a ll winning.
      There's no need to complexify everything and I feel like the online lifting community has been failing a lot in that sense.

      Delete
    2. It's honestly just mind blowing. There's a sound argument out there that evolution is dead for humanity, but even if that were not the case, we're not evolving at a rate that an author needs to revise their works to accommodate for it.

      Delete
  2. This is a great post. Not least of which because I recently tried to do a proper delorme protocol (which came out in the 50s I think) and so far have ended up setting 320x10 on squats. Felt great, like I could do so much more, then puked afterwards, lol. I'm not bringing it up to brag but to point out it's an older system that, as far as I can tell came out of early fitness science and is working a lot better than sets across did at higher weights. Also, hard style kettlebell conditioning definitely seems to help, and recent research seems to indicate that kettlebell conditioning may predate Russia.

    Also my academy date isn't until June so I will be holding off on super squats for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Dave Tate said in a podcast something to the effect that the DeLorme method was one of the first protocols of resistance training to even exist, and it STILL works.

      Delete
    2. It's amazing how well it works. I have been stubbornly eeking out linear progression as long as I can and the Delorme is something that is rapping into even more of that. It's a lot less soul crushing to know I have one hard set ahead instead of 3, or 5, or whatever.

      Which podcast does Dave Tate talk about the Delorme method?

      Delete
    3. I genuinely don't remember. It was just a comment in passing. May have been one with Jim Wendler.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is startingagain from T-Nation. Why do I feel like this post was at least partially inspired by me asking how much frequency matters haha (a question I assumed gets asked way too much).

    But yeah, weight training is definitely something that gets way too overcomplicated by people (and I'm guilty of this too). A lot of people's self-worth is determined by how they look, so it makes sense that they want "optimal", even if that means going completely crazy over what would probably only be a 2% boost in results.

    I forgot who said this (I think someone on Intensemuscle back when that forum was big), but if a guy can:

    Squat 500 x 20
    Deadlift 600 x 10
    Bench 405 x 10
    Row 405 x 10
    Overhead Press 315 x 10

    Or the equivalent of that on their main lifts, they're bound to be big even if they didn't want to be. The routine they use to get there is almost irrelevant. Whenever I get too focused on stupid, minor bullshit, I just remind myself of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man, good to have you along. And I actually wrote this entry before seeing your topic. I just publish them on weekends to remain consistent.

      Focusing on the goals is huge. I remember worrying about the protein powder that stuck to the sides of the blender ruining my post-workout nutrition, haha. It's hard for people to grasp that this is just about being consistent for a long time.

      Delete
    2. Haha I remember worrying whether eating an extra spoon of chicken breast would make or brake my gainzzz.

      As for the blog, it'd be interesting to have a post about your wrestling/MMA experience (if you don't have one already). Having boxed myself, it'd be cool to hear about what aspects of your lifting helped with those sports, what aspects of your lifting didn't help, and what aspects actually ended up hurting your performance with fighting.

      Delete
    3. I was honestly pretty awful at it. I'm so uncoordinated that I was a pretty big goon, but I could at least be a brute and throw and slam people and muscle out of subs. I actually have an idea for a post that will feature some of my perspective on combat sports that should be coming out soon.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete