With my recent write-up comparing 5/3/1 and Tactical Barbell, I figured this would be an excellent opportunity to demonstrate the “Uncrustableness” of Tactical Barbell as it relates to planning out the my training for the next year. Because, yes: with TB, it’s simple to map out a year of training. By knowing my bumpers and milestones to vector around, TB provides plenty of latitude to be able to maneuver, plan and execute. Ideally, if you’re interested in employing TB in your own training, you can take from this approach and employ it on your own.
TO START: THE BUMPERS/MILESTONES
Not to be confused with this, which is how I lost my first ever Magic the Gathering tournament
I am a big
fan of limitations, because they provide us structure. If I just say “Go make a workout”, there’s
too much openness in the statement and we end up suffocating with options. If I say “Go make a workout using only 1
kettlebell and a chinning bar”, suddenly we have a vector and can make
something incredible. In that regard,
when it comes to mapping out a training plan, I start with what my limitations
will be. These are the
bumpers/milestones: events occurring during the year that will lend vector to
my training. In that regard, here is
what I’m operating with.
* My
birthday is late Oct, which is a day of feasting.
* After
that, Thanksgiving happens: another feast.
* After
that, Christmas happens, another feast.
* After that
is the New Year, which is a time when anyone can engage in a hard training
program and strict dietary protocol and no one will bat an eye. It’s the expectation.
* I am
signed up for a strongman competition on 20 Feb. I have no issue with making weight for it
(Masters 220).
* I go on a
Cruise for my kid’s spring break in late Mar.
* The wife
and I run a 10 mile race in Apr.
* Memorial
day is the end of May, which, along with a day of remembrance, we celebrate the
memory with a feast.
* Though
unannounced, there is most likely going to be another strongman competition in
Aug. And at that point, I’ve come full
circle for the year.
STORYBOARDING
Sometimes you gotta break out the crayons
Knowing the
bumpers and limitations, we can begin drafting up some general thoughts to help
guide the actual plan development. Here
is what we know.
* Looking at
the above, fall through winter is a lot of feasting opportunities. It’d be a poor time to try to prioritize fat
loss, while ALSO being an excellent time to try to leverage all that feasting
toward hard training. We’ll have no
shortage of fuel, and recovery will be good.
This is sounding like a “Mass Protocol” situation.
* The New
Year’s will be an excellent time to “detox” from all the feasting from Fall to
Winter. It also is leading right into a
strongman competition. It would be a
great time to focus on getting fit, strong, and lighter. This is sounding like an “Operator”
situation.
* The cruise
in Mar would be 3-4 weeks after the strongman competition. That will be after about 7 weeks of leaning
out since New Year’s, and the cruise itself will be an avenue for
feasting. Taking the above 2 data
points, it sounds like it could lend to a 10-11 week leaning out phase before
the start of some growing. 3-4 weeks is
an opportunity to continue running Operator OR to do a Work Capacity training
block.
* After the
cruise, aside from that 10 mile run, the next milestone is a Memorial day
Feast. This means I have some feasting
bookends: the start of feasting at the cruise, and the final feast on Memorial
day. This lends to a Mass Protocol
situation for 8-9 weeks.
* Now we’re
in Jun, with a strongman competition in Aug.
It could be the start or end of Aug depending, so we’re looking at 2-3
Operator cycles for 8-12 weeks (factoring in a bridge week).
* The 2-3
Operator cycles mentioned above carry me through the summer, at which point I’m
back to Sep, leaned out as a result of the strongman comp prep, eyeing another
Birthday, Thanksgiving and Christmas on the horizon. So here we go again.
THE PLAN
Now that
we’ve drafted the storyboard, it comes time to get a little more granular and
start planning out the actual training/phases.
Those that have read Tactical Barbell Mass Protocol are familiar with
the periodization structure of OMS, but for those unaware: those 3 letters
stand for “Operator-Mass-Specificity”, which are 3 different programs that
exist in the Tactical Barbell universe.
Operator is strength and conditioning focused, Mass is (obviously) Mass
focused, and Specificity would best be understood as “bodybuilding
focused”. Whereas Mass is about building
mass in general, specificity focuses on higher rep ranges and more
isolation/focus to bring up weak areas.
The idea is to move from one phase to the other and repeat as a means of
basic periodization. And that’s exactly
how this plan will execute.
FALL
PHASE (14 Sep
– 2 Jan/16 Weeks)
* 2 cycles
(6 weeks total) of Mass Protocol (Grey Man, in this case, my preferred Mass
Protocol program, which I’ve reviewed in the past)
*
Assessment: I use a low bar squat when I run Grey Man, and it can beat me up
after too much time. I’ve learned to
value movement rotation, much like what Westside Barbell prescribes for Max
Effort for the same reason. So I’ll see
how I feel at this point and, from there, make one of 2 decisions.
- Course of Action (COA) 1: Continue with 1 more cycle of
Grey Man, 1 Bridge Week, 1 cycle of
Specificity Bravo (currently at 13 weeks of training)
-COA 2: Implement bridge week to recover, then transition to
Fat Zulu (from TB III) for 2 cycles, 1 bridge week (13 weeks of training).
(COA1 assumes I feel fine and am able to continue pushing
Grey Man, while COA2 uses Fat Zulu as an “escape plan” [reference previous
posts] to let my body recover. COA1
employs Specificity from Mass Protocol, while COA2 leans into the 4x a week
approach of Fat Zulu to function in that regard)
*
Irrespective of COA selected, end with Operator Pro (Green/TB III) using
hypertrophy rep ranges with cluster based around the events for the Strongman
competition. 3 weeks of training, for 16
weeks total.
NEW
YEAR’S PHASE
(4 Jan – 20 Mar/11 Weeks)
Looks like a pattern developing...
* 2 cycles
of Operator Pro with strength ranges for the supplemental work, followed by 1
bridge week leading into the strongman competition (7 weeks total)
*
Assessment: At this point, I’ll have been employing Operator Pro for 3 cycles
specifically preparing for a strongman competition. The comp is over: there’s no “need” to
continue with Operator Pro, and the next milestone is the cruise. I’ll need to assess what my needs are at this
point, as I’ll have 4 weeks left to do something.
* COA 1: Continue with Operator Pro simply to maintain status
quo and focus on moving heavy weights during a leaning out phase to maintain as
much lean mass as possible.
* COA 2: Work Capacity/SE phase from TBIII in order to
satisfy my inner psychotic need for self-destruction (being incredibly honest
here) before a nice break on the cruise.
* COA 3: The 4 week base building plan from TBIII in order
to, well, build my base, as it’s been a while since I’ve focused/prioritized
low intensity long duration conditioning.
*
Irrespective of COA selected, finishes with a 1 week bridge week due to the
cruise.
SPRING
PHASE (29 Mar – 29 May/9 weeks)
Oh my goodness this is too ridiculous
* Coming
right off a bridge week, 9 weeks is an excellent time to run 2 cycles of Grey
Man or a similar Mass Protocol template and 1 cycle of Specificity. I could play around and run different Mass
Protocol programs, or take something from TB III/Green Protocol, but ultimately
we know that this is going to be a period of gaining, and it’s tight enough to
get in 3 consecutive 3 week training cycles.
SUMMER
PHASE (31 May – TBD August/10-13 weeks)
* The date
range on this is a little ambiguous, as the date for the strongman comp hasn’t
been announced yet, so this plan will need to be further fleshed out. Be we DO know it’s going to start with a
bridge week, since we JUST finished 9 hard weeks of gaining. It’s also going to have a bridge week before
the comp, so we’re looking at realistically 8-11 weeks of training. And since we’re prepping for a strongman
comp, the plan is going to be Operator Pro.
It’s now a question of if we lead into it with the hypertrophy range
work for the supplemental or cut straight to the strength work, and that will
be determined by if the competition is in early August or late August. More time means more training cycles.
REPEAT
THE NUTRITION
I genuinely
feel I’ve struck gold with “The Roulette Diet”, because it honestly makes this
entire process so incredibly simple.
Ultimately, all I need to do is up my “2 meal day” frequency during the
Mass Protocol phases and reduce it during the Operator phases. Additionally, I’ve played around with
altering the protein to fat ratio of my energy intake simply by transitioning
from whole eggs to egg whites as priorities change. I eat 10 egg whites at a time during my
leanest phases, which, if I were to swap 1 egg white out for 1 whole egg, it
means adding 40 additional calories to my intake (each whole egg contains 6g of
fat and 6g of protein, while each white is 5g of protein and 0g of fat, so each
swap means adding 6g of fat (x9 calories, for 36 calories) and 1g of protein
(x4 calories, for 4 calories, 40 total).
So if I were to swap out all 10 whites for whole eggs, I’d add 400
calories to my total: right in that sweet spot between 300-500 calories…which
would be cool, if I counted calories.
But in
either capacity, this is incredibly simple and streamlined and fits in
perfectly with what I love about TB: fire and forget.
IN SUMMARY
Tactical
Barbell is so simple, effective and modular that, once you know what your
milestones and limitations are for the year, you can map out a full year of
training without much difficulty.
Keeping OMS as a framework and allotting for occasional bursts of Base
Building or Work Capacity provides an easy to follow structure to operate off
of. And as always: chaos is the plan,
don’t get upset if it all blows up once it comes in contact with the enemy.
No comments:
Post a Comment